CX 1x11 Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DirtyKolache

by DirtyKolache

Using the R785 brakes from Shimano as a 1x11 Cyclocross setup, what crank/chainring option would you use? Would prefer to stick with a Shimano crank but realize my options are limited/non-existent.

Marin

by Marin

What kind of chain retention are you planning to use in the front?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DirtyKolache

by DirtyKolache

That's why I am asking, haha. In a ideal world is would be a lot like the new CX1 from SRAM.

grover

by grover

Get a crank with a standard 5 bolt 130 or 110 bcd. Older Shimano, FSA, SRAM. Match it with a wide/narrow ring from Wolf Tooth Components or Fetha Components. No chain retention needed.

stoney

by stoney

On mine, I went with a SRAM Force 110 bcd crank, 42 tooth Wolftooth chainring, and Shimano 11-32 cassette. I love the set-up but I did drop a chain once on some really bumpy stuff when riding single track.

TheJDub

by TheJDub

Most people have reported dropping chains with Wolf-tooth type chainrings run with no additional chain retention device and no clutch on the rear derailleur. The SRAM CX-1 has the critical clutch. Currently, you should just get a regular 110 or 130 5-arm crank and use a standard chainring with either an outer chain guard and additional chain catcher like the K-edge Single Cross Chain Catcher or the single ring with a chain guide like the Paul Components Chain Keeper.

I'm currently dreaming of a Shimano Di2 version CX-1 set up also. I would use the R785 Di2 Hydro Disc Brakes, the new XTR Di2 rear derailleur (W clutch) and something like the wolf-tooth chainring. I would set up the Di2 buttons so that BOTH buttons on the right shift to a harder gear and BOTH buttons on the left shift to an easier gear. My biggest complaint with Di2 is that it is hard to find the correct button quickly with thick gloves on or when my hands are numb and frozen.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

You could use the Alfine 11spd di2 levers... shifter buttons only in the right hand lever. The left is a lightweight carbon brake lever only.

freeloader

by freeloader

xnavalav8r wrote:You could use the Alfine 11spd di2 levers... shifter buttons only in the right hand lever. The left is a lightweight carbon brake lever only.

The 9070/6770/6780 shifter should work as well, if you leave the other shifter unconnected. You should be able to purchase 1 shifter for this purpose instead of a pair.

Since you mentioned Alfine, i have been thinking about using Alfine Di2 IGH in a 1x setup. Just wondering if anyone tried doing that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com