Crankset or wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I currently have a set of boyd vitesse 30mm alloy clinchers. 1480g. Been a great wheel with no issues. I'm stuck at 15.27g and really want to get under 15lbs. My only beneficial options are a lighter crankset (Currently have SLK), lighter wheels or lighter Rear derailuer (Currenlty on ultegra). All 3 options will be an expense I would need to save for. Obviously the cassette will be the cheapest of all 3 but as for weight savings will be the least. I think having a newer lighter wheelset will be more beneficial than upgrading cranksets, No? I was thinking about trying to go with a sub 1200g wheelset, which leads to me the next question:

which wheelset should I look at? I am on a tighter budget so I'd like to keep it under $1000 FOR SURE. In all reality I'd like to keep it under $800.

I was told about a stans wheelset with maybe white industries hubs?

I dont want tubulars and I dont want some cheap chinese brand. What are some other options you could recommend?

Do you disagree that wheelset would trump crankset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Disregarding your comments about "cheap chinese brand"....

But, anyway, build your own.

1.Go over to BikeHubStore.com.
2. Look up the components. Hubs. Rims. Spokes.
3. Break out your calculator.
4. Do your research on this forum. There are several strong, informative threads on the hubs, rims, and spokes. Heck, there's even a STICKIED thread on wheelbuilding.
5. You will have a wheelset just over ~1200g for less than $800.

Also, get over the "cheap chinese" thing. Really.
If you did that, you would find a very reliable low-depth tubular set for around $600, shipped, just over 1000g.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I understand what you are saying and i appreciate the advice. I have already looked over BHS.com, but I dont know what I'm looking for. I dont know those brands, i dont know the difference between spokes enough to select ones that I would want to suit my type of riding. Same for hubs. If I knew what I was looking for, I wouldn't be posting a thread asking what I should be looking into (No offence). If someone told me had an interest of upgrading their basic fishing pole, I would expect to send them into a build your own pole store without asking questions about what would fit their needs because they wouldn't know the difference between "A" and "B". Isn't this what a forum is all about? having a question about your specific needs and hoping that someone that reads your thread knows the answers and will share that info?

I'm really not trying to be that guy on the forum that is asking the open ended, "what bike should I get". I really have no idea which direction to go when looking for light wheels. All my wheel knowledge is minimal and what minimal info I know is about wheels that range between 1400g and up. Thats why I ask.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ok.

So basically you see a rim on BikeHubStore. Then do a search on this forum (use the search tool) for the rim. You will find reviews about that rim, comments, and information about building that rim.

Similar for spokes.

Similar for hubs.

You can do this.

You can also head over to the wheelbuilding thread and post a question such as "Can someone recommend me what rims would be best between x, y, and z? I weigh x kg/lbs, I ride in x conditions, my goals for the wheels are the following..."

and there you go.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Going in the weight range you want there are only a select few rims to choose from.....XR200 or Alpha 340. Sapim CX Rays are pretty much your only choice for spokes. Your price range pretty much dictates that you need the hubs from BHS (basically the lightest hubs they have).

Other option would be to email PSIMET. Google him, he is a wheelbuilder and you tell him what you want, he will ask all the questions that you think we should ask and you will get a well built wheelset.

He quoted me an XR200/CX Ray/Bitex build around 1250 grams for $550. This may have changed since this was 12 months ago, but should be in the same range.

tommasini

by tommasini

Bianchi10 wrote:I currently have a set of boyd vitesse 30mm alloy clinchers. 1480g. Been a great wheel with no issues. I'm stuck at 15.27g and really want to get under 15lbs. My only beneficial options are a lighter crankset (Currently have SLK), lighter wheels or lighter Rear derailuer (Currenlty on ultegra). All 3 options will be an expense I would need to save for. Obviously the cassette will be the cheapest of all 3 but as for weight savings will be the least. I think having a newer lighter wheelset will be more beneficial than upgrading cranksets, No? I was thinking about trying to go with a sub 1200g wheelset, which leads to me the next question:

which wheelset should I look at? I am on a tighter budget so I'd like to keep it under $1000 FOR SURE. In all reality I'd like to keep it under $800.

I was told about a stans wheelset with maybe white industries hubs?

I dont want tubulars and I dont want some cheap chinese brand. What are some other options you could recommend?

Do you disagree that wheelset would trump crankset?

You have thrown so many questions into the mix with not much to help replies.....for instance how much do you weigh, a little bit about your fitness level, and under what conditions do you ride?.....and then the big question.....what will getting the bike to your weight goal achieve for you and your riding experiance...... Do you want to go faster or just have a bike at a specified weight......If you want to go faster it's more than just lightweight......Just trying to keep things in perspective..... :beerchug:

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

You have thrown so many questions into the mix with not much to help replies.....for instance how much do you weigh, a little bit about your fitness level, and under what conditions do you ride?.....and then the big question.....what will getting the bike to your weight goal achieve for you and your riding experiance...... Do you want to go faster or just have a bike at a specified weight......If you want to go faster it's more than just lightweight......Just trying to keep things in perspective..... :beerchug:

Good call. I weigh 175lbs. I'm very fit. Run, cycle gym. I am a fair weather rider. The only time i will ride in the rain is if I get caught in it in the middle of the ride. Getting my bike down to my goal weight is simply for achieving that goal. Shaving weight is a hobby in itself, it has nothing to do with making me faster and I am fully aware of that.

sorry I didn't include that. I appreciate the info :thumbup:

system787

by system787

I would take that budget and upgrade to a used set of SRAM Red.

OG-1090 cassettes can be found for 120-150 on the bay. Shifters for 300-350. Cranks for 200-300. Rear derailleur for 120-180 (or substitute with force). Maybe try getting the Exogram red cranks to save more weight.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I'd go with the Stans/White combo on the wheelset. Shaving weight (particularly from the rim) is going to have a much more noticeable effect than shaving weight from the cranks.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I have to agree on the components since yes you will cut some weight on the wheels but in the future you might want carbon which will run over $1000 for some decent clinchers. Upgrading the components to dura-ace will be your biggest gain and most wise without altering your shifting. Dura-ace 7900 shifters = 300, 7900 rear derailluer 150, 7900 cassette 150 on the bay. :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

That's easy. Crankset. (SRM...)

kgt

by kgt

I would try to get a used carbon tubular wheelset. Can find a lot of staff even under $1000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com