upgrade old bike or buy new one

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kamil1891

by kamil1891

I'm in a moment of big confusion. I will have some money from insurance claim for my mountain bike crashed etc and I don't plan to replace it. I thought I would either invest in a new road bike or upgrade the current one.

Now... I've got a BMC Pro Machine (2010) so it's not that old but not latest stuff either. It's a perfectly good bike and it fits me very well (I've had a really good bike fit to this bike). It's fitted with old Sram Red groupset and basic wheels (that would need upgrading). I worked out the costs of upgrades, including slight respraying to make this bike more special, to be around £1.5k.

And then, I think I could sell the bike for about £1.5k and put the money in the pot and get for example a Canyon with the new Sram Red and R-Sys wheels for £3.5k or a BMC Team Machine... These bikes would be a lot lighter, with better components and overall a lot better on a paper than my BMC...and they will be brand new, latest models.

So, what would you do guys? I'm really loving my current bike and I cannot imagine selling it but it seems a lot more economical than upgrading it. However, if I keep it and make it really good spec and custom looking then I could be proud of owning something unique.

I'm really confused...

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

or take the money from the claim and buy *another* bike! I'm sure you could scoop up. If the BMC has sram red it doesnt really need an upgrade. Sram red doesnt get much better, even with the new version. Maybe try to pick up something with a mid-range campy build and then you have a sram and campy bike. I like bikes so to me more bikes is always better than an upgrade especially if there isnt much that can be done because you are already using a top of the line group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Get a nice pair of wheels.

elviento

by elviento

Some sexy wheels would bring the bike back to life...
Last edited by elviento on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

kamil1891

by kamil1891

Hehe, I like your thinking guys. I could buy another bike for let say up to 4k but that would not be reasonable for a student and I'm don't really have a room for 4th bike (but I know I could squezze it somehow) :D Regarding nice set of wheels I don't think I could afford to crash them and roads in the UK are not brilliant either... but that's an option anyway :D

And actually I have underestimated the cost of upgrades. Ideally I would like to switch to a crank-based power meter, currently I ride powertap wheels. So 1k for power2max, 300 for respray, new seatpost/stem/bars combo (I don't like the look of current ones) about 300 again. Switch from Force to black Red Brakes 200 and then wheels..... bottom line I've been considering Wheelsmith's handbuilts, which are light, meant to be stiff and look good for 450 and I'm not yet convinced of going carbon. So total could more like 2.5k :oops:

Ahh.. I forgot a new fork for the BMC, the current easton ec90 slx is too flexy, so 400 for enve fork... Overall too much, so if I have sold the BMC I could get a real top of the range bike I think.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Go and buy a new 2013 Canyon. I just visited their facility in Koblenz, Germany and the 2013 Ultimate looks great.
I love my Canyon CF and it has a P2Max with a Rotor crank as well.

zambony

by zambony

kamil1891 wrote:Hehe, I like your thinking guys. I could buy another bike for let say up to 4k but that would not be reasonable for a student and I'm don't really have a room for 4th bike (but I know I could squezze it somehow) :D Regarding nice set of wheels I don't think I could afford to crash them and roads in the UK are not brilliant either... but that's an option anyway :D

And actually I have underestimated the cost of upgrades. Ideally I would like to switch to a crank-based power meter, currently I ride powertap wheels. So 1k for power2max, 300 for respray, new seatpost/stem/bars combo (I don't like the look of current ones) about 300 again. Switch from Force to black Red Brakes 200 and then wheels..... bottom line I've been considering Wheelsmith's handbuilts, which are light, meant to be stiff and look good for 450 and I'm not yet convinced of going carbon. So total could more like 2.5k :oops:

Ahh.. I forgot a new fork for the BMC, the current easton ec90 slx is too flexy, so 400 for enve fork... Overall too much, so if I have sold the BMC I could get a real top of the range bike I think.

dont forget you can sell the old part too.
IMO:
- new crank with powermeter (Quarq or p2m)
- Seatpost (lot of hidden weight there in most case) (less than 100$ from your pocket)
- New wheels.

by selling the part you are replacing, there should not be a lot of money out of your pocket. Only the crank if you want a powermeter; but since you have a powertap it shouldn't be that bad.
If you start to replace every single part on the bike, then it might be a better idea to buy a new bike.

boombaux

by boombaux

if I was in your position, i'd sell the bike and get an s5

they have a great deal for a fully built up bike for $3800 (rival, but the frame itself is $3800 anyways)

kamil1891

by kamil1891

Some good ideas there and keeping the bike seems to be an option since I know it's best fit and if it was good enough for doped up Landis and Vino I shouldn't really complain... :) If I sell the relatively new powertap wheels and sram red crankset I would be able to nearly afford power2max I think. Seatpost for looks, new bars for different shape and wheels. Shouldn't be that expensive after all. Ideally I would like a custom paintjob and stiffer fork but that would be another 600-700 together :) Saved money could go towards a nice training camp or something.

However, I think that if I receive good offer for the current bike I may sell it and get a canyon, ridley or new bmc. I don't like cervelos and the s5 looks ugly, at least for me :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If it fits then everything is on it in good order why change anything. Buy another bike. You can never have to many. My wife says 6 bikes is too many, shame I have just got another one. Or save the money for later.

A bike that fits you well is worth keeping.

kamil1891

by kamil1891

Now I'm leaning more towards keeping the bike :D If I were to buy another bike then it would probably be something for crits and the BMC could be left for longer road races perhaps? So many choices, I'm giving up :D

Pantani

by Pantani

Buy a decent set of aero carbon tubular wheels - will make a bigger difference than anything you can do with frames or drivetrain.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Put the money in the bank - don't let it burn a whole in your pocket.

gourami7

by gourami7

+ 1

Go and buy a new 2013 Canyon. I just visited their facility in Koblenz, Germany and the 2013 Ultimate looks great.
I love my Canyon CF and it has a P2Max with a Rotor crank as well.

By the way which BB size for the P2Max.

Could get Canyon frameset and fast wide wheels, Zipp, Hed, Bontrager, Flo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxDaddy

by MaxDaddy

Never miss an opportunity to get a new bike. You only live twice.