Osymetricusa Crank rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lee16

by lee16

Anyone using these ? How is the shifting?

plpete

by plpete

Similar idea, but I had no problem shifting with my Rotor Q Rings. Takes a bit of fiddling with the derailleur but you can have it shift as well as round rings. I believe I saw Bradley Wiggins run the OSymetric rings in one of the recent races.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

They are definitely the extreme of the limits of rings compared to QRings. With that said, I run Qrings just fine on my SRAM Red setup.

I would assume these would be just the same. See what FD wiggins is using on his setup and a few other riders, might help with that question.

Basically, you just put the FD outer portion about 2mm above the tallest part of the ring. I never did anything else special other than that with QRings.

Quick check, looks like Sutton is running Di2, Wiggins the same. I think there is an adapter required to run with Osymmetric also if I remember correctly.

Qrings doesn't require anything special.

KWalker

by KWalker

I ran these for a bit. Shifting was good with 7900. You just have to get the der. angle adjusted and you can't cross chain as much due to the disparity in size between the small and the large ring. It took a bit to set the limits right, but once I got it there were no issues.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

lee16

by lee16

The only thing about these rings is that it will look terrible with my 7900 crank :cry:

Last edited by lee16 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

I just got a set from a friend of mine who was racing on them for the last few years at Team Sky, but who is no longer riding them this season.

The first impression is that they are very different from the 'Q'-Rings. They have a much more significant 'ovalization' factor than the 'Q'-Ring and are harder to set-up perfectly. They do get there, eventually. I found that they are very sensitive to the derailleur height setting and seem to benefit from a slight toe-in (on Di2, anyway). The other thing I noticed is that the Di2 derraileur really pushes the ring around.

I got them fairly late in the winter and will play just around with them during the season. I'll wait to give them a real try next winter.
Attachments
Osymetric.jpg

KWalker

by KWalker

IMO they do everything I thought Q-Rings would do, but amplified.

I also ran my derailleur toed in slightly and very, very close to the largest part of the ring. It takes a bit to get the angle and the limits dialed properly so it doesn't overshift. I never dropped a chain from big to small, but had some overshifting issues at first.

I too am going to mess with them a bit more next winter. They take significant time to adapt to, 10 days was not enough for me mid-base training.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

sastre

by sastre

lee16 wrote:The only thing about these rings is that it will look terrible with my 7900 crank :cry:

They do them in silver as well So maybe a 7800 combo would suit.
Might get some myself to try with di2. 8)

Not ball busting but hasn't this all been discussed before there just seems to be a lot of repeat topics lately. :thumbup:
Last edited by sastre on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

topflightpro

by topflightpro

My buddy rides and races with these and raves about them.

He hasn't mentioned any issues with shifting, just how much he loves them.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Heya Guys have been running them for 18months now on both road(Giant TCR advanced) and TT(P3) bikes. Shifting is not as good as normal rings, I can guarantee that! there are no ramping pins or anything else to guide the chain, they are just simple milled sheets of metal. Shifting does take some fiddling and there are some compatibility issues with some front derailleurs where the cage is too short, this also depends upon the position of the braze on. My DA7900 works on the p3 but not on the Giant, as the slight off-set means the chain drags on the bottom of the cage in the small chainring. Remember its always going to be on the limit of function, as the small ring is '42' average with 38 minor axis and 46 major axis. The big ring is '52' average 56 major axis and 48 minor therefore the cage has to deal with a 38-56 tooth setup!

Back to shifting quality, the rings are quite thin as standard and can be a bit flexy, the TT ones are 3mm thick and are supremely better IMHO. The chain will only ever shift at the minor axis, so twice per rotation not like modern rings with multiple points, so not so good for road racing. Shifting under load is much more of an issue than with round rings, and chains can be thrown. They are great for the TT type rider/racer, where you mash away at consistent pace and don't try and make large accelerations too often. If you are more aggressive and want fast crisp shifts between chain rings then these will disappoint. Please note cross chaining is also much more of an issue as the chain will rub on the other chainring due to its size, Team SKY space their derailleur cages a little wider to help but that only gives one more gear in my experience. Better to shift properly and not cross chain in the first place!

As a riding experience they are very good for me, but favour a more forward tt/pursuiter type riding style, this is mainly due to the fact that they have fixed orientation in respect to the cranks/pedals unlike q-rings with their multiple positions.( Would be a good idea IMHO)
I prefer round rings on the Road bike still, but would never sell them from my TT bike except to buy a 54/56 version!
Adaptation takes a while to begin with, but now my legs are trained with it i can switch from round to oval and back with only a 20min period of strangeness on the bike. (n.b. I only race TTs, so do a lot of winter turbo training on the TT bike so don't lose the feel.)

and yes they do look fugly on shimano cranks (i'm running 6600 ultegra cranks on them)

If there are any questions about them i'd be happy to answer them if i can!

Horacio

by Horacio

^thanks for the great, real world review.

I was on the verge of purchasing, but rather ride than fiddle dick around with trying to get it all dialed in.

If someone is going to pay $300 for rings, you would expect virtual plug n play.

I might give the q-rings a go instead. At least they look a little better.

KWalker

by KWalker

I have not had the same experiences with mine. It took 3 tries to get it correct and that was in the stand. It shifted fine otherwise.

I feel that the O-Sys do what Q-Rings claim to, but don't
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Horacio

by Horacio

^Are you using DA 7900?

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

@ Horacio i bought them from fleabay for £80 so can't really complain! the price is a bit mad IMHO but i would expect that to drop if they could make them more acceptable to the general public and easier to set up. Small order no.s are keeping the price high, I think.

@Kwalker mine are the USA versions(which i believe may have been made slightly thinner, hence a bit flexy)

The major issues are to do with braze-on position in my experience, especially with older bikes where the brazeon may need filing to get the derailleur over the 56. Followed by having a large enough cage to take the difference, some(mainly older shimano) just aren't big enough, by ~3mm.
I agree the shifting is not a issue for most people, but i was just giving an honest opinion about the quality, as weightweenies here debate the performance of aftermarket rings in comparison to DA7900, which are much better and more secure. The shifting isn't so much bad or inaccurate as slower especially if shifting under load (bad i know but it happens, especially in racing!) and weight weenies are often more particular about the function of their equipment compared to most.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com