Apennine riding; Tuscany, Umbria, Marche, Abruzzo?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

Thinking of a late April, early May riding trip and I've been meaning to go to central Italy for ages. Was thinking a mix of rolling days and mountain days would be cool, from retracing some of the Strade Bianche to the Tirreno-Adriatico climbs like Terminillo and Sarnano Sassotetto to Giro stuff like Blockhaus. I'm happy to move around a lot hence looking at a pretty big area but it'd be nice to know a few places that offer a bunch of great routes so I can stay in one place for a few days.

Anyone have some suggestions for the best climbs and routes (and nicest towns to visit) in that whole region?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

I'll bump this, interested as well

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm considering the Cagli area for august. I'm interested in any recommendations too.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Yes.. very interesting area to ride in.. i hav some experience but definatly wnt to spend more time riding there..

I rode around Firenzoula on some of the old Imola road race curcuit .. the whole area was amazing and also very different from other more busy parts of Italy.
Also rode to Bagno Di Romagna some great roads there too.. I will try to get more info and am happy to pass on some of the GPX for the rides i did there..

Very interested to see what you end up with.. i will try to ride there again 100%

wingguy

by wingguy

dolophonic wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm
I rode around Firenzoula on some of the old Imola road race curcuit .. the whole area was amazing and also very different from other more busy parts of Italy.
Also rode to Bagno Di Romagna some great roads there too.. I will try to get more info and am happy to pass on some of the GPX for the rides i did there..
Ok cool, thanks! Just did a bit of streetview exploring around Firenzuola and it looks really nice. Looks like it should be quite easy to link up lots of smaller roads without having to go onto the bigger Strade Statale too much? It's the little roads like this that I'd love to get involved with 8) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.15000 ... 312!8i6656

Anyone ridden the more southerly area around Abruzzo and Umbria?

micky

by micky

Ask @pastonef for advice, perhaps he can be more useful than me.
Just remember not to mention"sky" or anything related.... :mrgreen:

Rondje

by Rondje

Lovely regions but the roads are terrible in my experience. About Blockhaus: be prepared for snow if you want to go all up there to the real top. I've climbed it on the 13th of June in 2015 (from Lettomanoppello) and I had to walk a bit passed snow at the altitude of the weather station buildings when the road got smaller.
A climb closer to the Adriatic sea but worth it if you'd want to get a feel of history is Monte Carpegna. So many Pantani signs and other signs there which made it a unique climb in my experience. And the region itself is a nice ride as well if you can get used to the roads. It's got a Tuscany feel with the rolling hills but a bit less color in the nature.

Not really helpful for places to stay I know, but I moved a lot when I was around there so can't suggest places to stay for a longer period.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorryt

by jorryt

The inlands of le Marche are stunning! You can cycle from one village on the hill to another. Roads are horrible but the people and surroundings are top notch.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5S) Plus met Tapatalk