Good cycling/training areas in Kent (UK)?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Where would be a good spot to live if you wanted to do a lot of riding in Kent. Preferably a mix of both flat and hilly terrain, decent roads and easy to escape the traffic and get into a bit of greenery.

Close to a high speed train into London would a huge bonus. Maybe asking a bit too much :)

Not even sure anyone here even knows anything about the area, but worth a shot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks tenlegs, good thinking. Looks like there's some nice climbs not too far out from London. Was looking at the Kent Grimpeur last night, will dig deeper over the week, but looking promising so far!

Raineman

by Raineman

I'm living in Canterbury and the riding is a good mix of roads but generally rolling with a moderate number of big hills and flat roads. Ashford is better for pure hills and flat roads as the hills are a little bigger and the Romney marsh is closer and dead flat. Both are on the HS1 line and have great roads if know where to look.

I used to live in the Tonbridge & Sevenoaks area and it has some of the bigger hills in Kent but very few flat road. It takes about an hour to Charing Cross on the mainline from there which is about the same as from Canterbury.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

I'm pretty sure you'll find some people on here that have direct experience from living there, but Kent Downs AONB and especially High Weald AONB are great riding. The latter is more easily accessible from London (maybe look at around Royal Tunbridge Wells as a base); this is where a couple of the London clubs in the South of the city often ride out to. Basically, look down the A21, South of the M25 - all around that road is good riding.

And, as above, there are plenty of other great routes as well.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Do the route of the Kentish Killer... that will test your legs!

Shrike

by Shrike

Loads of great info there guys, that'll keep me busy for a while. Appreciate it! :beerchug:

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Raineman wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm living in Canterbury and the riding is a good mix of roads but generally rolling with a moderate number of big hills and flat roads. Ashford is better for pure hills and flat roads as the hills are a little bigger and the Romney marsh is closer and dead flat. Both are on the HS1 line and have great roads if know where to look.

I used to live in the Tonbridge & Sevenoaks area and it has some of the bigger hills in Kent but very few flat road. It takes about an hour to Charing Cross on the mainline from there which is about the same as from Canterbury.
I'm in Canterbury too and agree with this. There's also some nice hilly rides east and west of Stone Street, the road running from Canterbury towards Hythe.

Shrike

by Shrike

Romney Marsh looks amazing for TTing on. Hythe and Dymchurch Rd. I see a cycle path there, are drivers aggressive if you're on the road instead?

Maybe better to do laps of a Newchurch and St Marys loop for the flat stuff?

Will have another look shortly and see if I can make up some hilly routes. Want to see what Ashford has to offer there, I'm definitely considering it. Area looks nice. Any part of it to avoid?

Miller

by Miller

France?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Try White Hill, it was used by the Tour de France during its visit in 1994.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jockeywilson

by jockeywilson

I live near Oxted which is Surrey but near Kent border. Happy to have a discussion if you want to PM.