Should I paint a bare chinese carbon frame?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cletero

by cletero

Hi, I just received a chinese frame I bought on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/58cm-Road-Fram ... 2749.l2649

the finish just says UD matt, so I'm not sure if it's clear-coated or not, I wonder if I should go ahead and paint it or can I just use it "as is".

I contacted the seller, I'm waiting for his reply but sometimes I do not trust that they understand this kind of questions, so in the meantime I decided to ask here to hear some opinions.

Marin

by Marin

It's painted and you can use it as it is.

You could also use it if it was bare carbon since it doesn't need to be painted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Not true.
If you're not sure what kind of resin has been used ( not/UV resistant, on which level ) : PAINT.

Composite molded without UV resistant resin will degrade. Some resins fasters than others. It's "China" stuff, so expect rather cheap than good...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's fine.

Don't listen to stormur regarding his opinions of open-mould frames.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

stormur wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 pm
It's "China" stuff, so expect rather cheap than good...
Xenophobic or what?

glepore

by glepore

Every matte open mold frame I've ever seen has been cleared.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TonyM

by TonyM

stormur wrote:It's "China" stuff, so expect rather cheap than good...
Almost all big bike manufacturers are producing in China (people‘s republic of China or republic of China, Taiwan)...I don‘t think their quality is that bad (Specialized, Giant, Pinarello, Canyon, ....).

liam7020

by liam7020

stormur wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 pm
It's "China" stuff, so expect rather cheap than good...
Yep this nonsense. I've ridden open mold frames and wheels over several cyclocross seasons, down mountain descents and even the Tour of Flanders sportive on a couple of occasions without any difficulties. The frames are always clear coated, even the matte ones, but can be readily rubbed down and resprayed.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Shrike

by Shrike

99% sure it will be matte paint with a clear coat. Mine was. Different seller but they all pretty much follow the same processes. They know what they're doing, a lot of them have very professional factories and testing. Saw a video recently inside one for a wheel manufacturer. Very impressed.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Even with the clear, the resin on the carbon should amber without paint. You'd want a decent UV protective coating for resin.

stormur

by stormur

prendrefeu wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:04 am
It's fine.

Don't listen to stormur regarding his opinions of open-mould frames.
Any knowledge behind it or just trolling ?

My post is based on KNOWLEDGE. It's not "opinion"- those are reserved for those without knowledge, and usually easy judging. Check also "trolls", "haters", "low payed noobs".

Mentioned above brands outsource manufacturing to certain companies for certain process using certain materials. And as a rule there's always someone controlling it at location. Ready product is extensively tested and certified. So f.e. Cervelo KNOWS what's in frame and its limitations. Buying "Chinese" frame from unknown manufacturer ( most sellers are.. sellers only ) you have NO IDEA which components has been used nor how (not)safe design it is . You can hope for best what few hunderd € can give. EVERY manufacturer of so-called "open mold" frames will use cheapest components to increase own margin, not best available to make you "happy".

SOME "chinese" "brands" do care. They demand from their suppliers certain quality, and get it. How many of them ? Not many. Less than 2 , maybe 3 . Those which build own "brand".

And don't miss "open mold" with "chinese frame" . First has been properly designed and tested using certain components and process by some company which sold specs to "manufacturer" ( or it is manufacturers "in house" design ) . Then "brands" can buy it and put own logo on. Example : DeRosa 838/ Ribble 838. Same thing.

"chinese frame" : some not known to anyone guy designed frame, then not known to anyone "factory" made it with unknown to anyone components, then it DID NOT went thru proper tests/ certification process and you can buy it on ebay/ aliexpress for small money ( in comparison to "branded" products ) named ... basically whatever- purt some "xx----bicycle" here . Buyers usually call it "open mold" :mrgreen: which is not.

"many use it and are happy"... please..... over 130.000 Americans bought and used Yugo. Does it mean it was good car ???

To OP: unless you'll know which EXACTLY resin was used ( manufacturer, type ) : PAINT with anything UV resistant. Then at least one you can be sure. And yes, not made/ coated with UV resistant layer resin WILL DEGRADE IN TIME. Don't believe me ? Check Luescher Teknik YT channel- there's 1 video about it. Rest here is obviously more clever/educated / ecperienced than Raoul in that matter :mrgreen:

If it will happened that your frame supplier will provide you with such info ( dream on ;) ) and lets assume for a moment it will be truth( yeah...) ..... then you'll know is it UV resistant resin or not. Knowing what resin it was, chceck also TzG number ( glass transition temperature for fully cureed product. don't miss it with curing temperature in oven- totally different thing ! ) ; there's many resins with low Tzg widely used in other fields ( no need for high Tzg ) which are cheaper and widely available.

BTW using last high-tech fibers and resins is still restricted ( military applications ); when it goes to China then every batch is under strict control. So chance that it will happened to your frame are none.zero. You'll get cheap stuff. Not best.

Or... you can ignore what I wrote. Your life and health. I don't give a damn nor will feel even bit sorry if you'll do something to yourself using stuff "cheaper than it used to be" ;) your dog, your fleas :welcome:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

liam7020

by liam7020

And after all that... Getting tired saying saying this but I've used open mold/Chinese frames for all sorts - Flanders cobbles, cyclocross, Mallorcan descents blah blah blah. All painted either locally or by the original vendor. No problems. I'm still here. Not trolling, not talking thru my arse, all personal experience. End of.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

it should be good to go without any additives. Chinese frames/Taiwanese frames, depending on the maker, are normally of superb quality (i.e. giant, pinarello, some colnagos).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com