Flying with Wheels...how to pack them?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

mr4fox wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm
So why do we deflate tyres?
Because idiots?

There's no real reason that stands up to any scrutiny.

It's just the rules, and not worth arguing about ( i only let mine down to ~50% of normal and no ones complained, even when they've inspected)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

I'm always a fan of putting 30-40psi in my tires so they have slightly extra cushion in that direction and some extra squish if they need to be squeezed into a box.
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

sawyer

by sawyer

Jenmoss wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm
mr4fox wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm
I already called and asked the airline if I could take them carry on but ofc they said no. Not sure if I can fit a wheel back inside the boxes as I have two boxes which fit one wheel each and I only have double wheel bags...but I’ll try anyway. I’m most worried about them being crushed with suitcases stacked on top of them so don’t know how much bubble wrap or soft padding will do... it I’ll try it anyway.

Does bubble wrap not explode in a cargo hold of a plane? Thought that’s why we always deflate our tyres when flying with bikes. But maybe it’s only the high pressure in tyres that’s an issue?

Thanks for the ideas guys
No it doesn’t. I bubble wrap the funk out of my bike when traveling . It takes 30 mins or so but well worth it. My friend who owns a bike shop has seen many damaged badly or scratched frames even when they had top end bike cases . Impact is a impact . Never had one incident in years of flying the world and I’ve seen my bag on more than the odd occasion get thrown on to the plane quite violently. I also have written, “ very fragile , super light bike please be extra nice “ in a few languages all over the outside of the bag . It’s definitely getting better now transporting your bike .
My wheels go in a padded bag that gos in the side pocket of my bike bag . Bubble wrap is full proof.
Agreed!

Bubble wrap ... lots and lots of it, large and small bubbles, and brown parcel tape ... lots of it ... in a soft bike bag is a great way to travel. Light and practical to store. Underrated as an option - the industry wants to sell you an expensive bike case

Likewise, I put wheels in thick padded wheel bags in the bike bag. TBH, along with the RD hanger (I don't take RD off, but instead bubble wrap the crap out of it) the wheels are the things I worry about most. But so far so good - including flying with high end carbon wheels. I use plastic end caps for the hubs. If you are worried, then bubble wrap the spokes and hubs too and then put in the wheelbags
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

Thick padded wheelbags (DT Swiss) + round cardboard cutouts to make 'walls' on both sides of the wheels was fine for me. It was obvious the bag had wheels in it (DT Swiss logo, etc) and it is not heavy/weird to handle and hence prone to be thrown around by (disgurnteld) baggage handlers.

Though bubble wrap can't hurt.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Use a flat tv box like VanMoof much less chance of damage.

https://medium.com/vanmoof/our-secrets-out-f21c1f03fdc8