Garmin Edge 1030

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Did anyone see this coming, been looking for a replacement of my older Garmin 810 and the specs look good, only problem is it's Garmin

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/567991

Appears to be about the same size as the older Edge 1000, thought they were trying to downsize the entire line if it was to follow the sizing of the 800/810 to 820 trend. Was hoping more for a 800/810 size with a bigger screen but not 1000 big.

53x12

by 53x12

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inchul

by inchul

I think 1030 is not much different than 1000.

The price is too expensive
Just to compromise to about 520

moyboy

by moyboy

What drives me nuts is the lag of swiping through screens. Would make Di2 thumb buttons setup a must for me.

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

Garmin own this market but the touch screen would bankrupt them if it was a smart phone, also the mount they provide is the biggest POS on the market... $2 on ebay buys a better solution...WTF?

Drizt

by Drizt

Outstanding units.

Touch is heaps more responsive than the 820

Love the extra screen size. Maps are soooo much easier to readImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

I use the Garmin Edge 1000 .... I have my main screen set to display speed, ave speed, distance, heart rate, ave heart rate, cadence, ave cadence and distance to next turn. I also have my Garmin Varia Radar unit connected to my Edge 1000

before a turn, my main screen switches to the map screen and shows me which way to turn, after the turn, it swithes back to my main screen. So I seldom have to swipe the screen to view a different page. If I do (I have a screen showing the elevation), I have the remote buttons on my bar:

The Garmins struggle to change screens in the wet especially if you wear gloves .... these remote buttons should be sold as standard when you purchase a Garmin

If I did not own an Edge 1000, I would definately buy the Edge 1030
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I have theGarmin 1030 that I am testing for a review. The big screen makes it easy to read, but for me, it’s just too big. Nav is great and auto dimming/backlight is brilliant.

The change to a capacitive screen means screen changes with long finger gloves is a major PITA, and that alone makes it a no go for me.

Too many other typical Garmin glitches and poor stuff for me (setup and route guidance and transfer are two typical things that I think are not up to scratch). Some neat features but some useless ones as well.

dim

by dim

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:19 am
I have theGarmin 1030 that I am testing for a review. The big screen makes it easy to read, but for me, it’s just too big. Nav is great and auto dimming/backlight is brilliant.

The change to a capacitive screen means screen changes with long finger gloves is a major PITA, and that alone makes it a no go for me.

Too many other typical Garmin glitches and poor stuff for me (setup and route guidance and transfer are two typical things that I think are not up to scratch). Some neat features but some useless ones as well.
a lot of the problems encountered on the Garmins come up to setting them up (there are a few glictches on the software, but Garmin updates regualry when there are probs)

here's a good site for the 1000 (read the comments aswell):

http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-nav ... edge-1000/
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i'm satisfied with my 810 but doing a long race in july , the marmotte and thinking about it for the longer battery life as i'll not only be recording but following a route. don't want to cut it close for a ride i don't plan on ever repeating.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ did - for me the setup is more painful and difficult and is a step behind the Wahoo offerings.

Still works well, but I’ve since moved away.

nickf

by nickf

I just picked up a 1030 to replace my 1000. I'm on the road a lot for work and always bring a bike. The new heat map round trip routing caught my attention and will be testing it soon. The screen is a big improvement, much more responsive even when wet. It's also really easy to read even in direct sunlight. The 1030 is a little fatter then the 1000, but they are the same length and width. Battery life is also much improved over the 1000.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

nickf wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 am
. The new heat map round trip routing caught my attention and will be testing it soon. .
It worked well for me, and I liked that you could preview not only the route options it gave, but the profile as well. Only thing is that it doesn't give dist to next course point (if that is a field you have setup), but does give you turn by turn though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com