Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

7ducati wrote:Had my first issues with my Bolt today. It lost GPS signal several times (mph showed --, instead of a speed). This was also the first time I had my GoPro running right below it, so I don't know if was just a coincidence or if some signals got crossed. Once I turned my GoPro off, the bolt worked perfectly for the remainder of the ride (~ 30 minutes).

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks-

mine cuts out in places I would kind of expect it to (long underground tunnels, etc)

yinya wrote:
yinya wrote:Anybody know how much data live tracking uses - if I leave it on during a trip for 10 hours, will I get a huge roaming bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Response from Wahoo: "unfortunately this is not a metric that we keep track of"...

Should be able to look at your phone's own usage meter and see how much the Wahoo app has consumed--after the fact but still measurable. I doubt it would be a significant amount at all unless it's buggy as hell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jhalmar

by jhalmar

I have used Bolt for a week and it seems to have a few bugs:
My ftp is set as 275W but the on ride % of ftp comes from about 200W. Also the IF and TSS data after ride seems to come from wrong ftp (200W).
Planned exercise messes up some of the other data fields when the exercise is going on (for example Workout page shows different speed field that I have normally on that page) but those come back to normal after planned exercise is completed. Pretty weird.

yinya

by yinya

That's exactly my plan for the weekend - zeroed the mobile data usage and will track the mobile data used by the wahoo companion app

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

yinya wrote:
yinya wrote:Anybody know how much data live tracking uses - if I leave it on during a trip for 10 hours, will I get a huge roaming bill?

Response from Wahoo: "unfortunately this is not a metric that we keep track of"...

Your question is kind of confusing and I'm not sure if it is the result of using the wrong terms or if mobile use/coverage is different where you live. Here in the US, most of the mobile companies have plans that cover all of the United States and some even cover Canada and Mexico, so riding all over the US wouldn't incur any roaming charges.... data usage, on the other hand, is different. It seems that most US companies offer fairly large data packages, some even unlimited, so using data for the live-tracking doesn't incur any fees. I'm on a family plan with shared data and I use live-track on every ride... have never been charged a huge roaming bill.

yinya

by yinya

Thanks, don't really know the terms to use. I live in Brazil, have a company phone (no second private phone), will travel to Spain and there is no free Mb of data included in my phone plan when there, all mobile data use is charged. So I am curious how many MB of data the app will use over say a 10-hour day to understand if this is acceptable or not. I'll report back on my findings this weekend.

havana

by havana

Why would you pair the app in the first place? Doesn't really add anything apart from live tracking.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

yinya

by yinya

To enable live tracking for the family.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

yinya wrote:Thanks, don't really know the terms to use. I live in Brazil, have a company phone (no second private phone), will travel to Spain and there is no free Mb of data included in my phone plan when there, all mobile data use is charged. So I am curious how many MB of data the app will use over say a 10-hour day to understand if this is acceptable or not. I'll report back on my findings this weekend.

Given your explanation... yes, I'd assume you incur data/roaming charges. that would be the case regardless of what computer you use. Its a phone company issue, not a gps computer issue.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

He's not asking if he'll incur roaming charges, he's simply looking at how much data is actually used by the process of live tracking. Given he knows he will incur a roaming fee, but is looking to see how large it will be (in relation to the data costs).

Don't worry yinya, your question makes perfect sense. Excellent English. I'm curious too so will see if I can also run a test for you over the coming week and see what the result is.

bomber

by bomber

I just checked usage on my phone which was running the App connected to my Bolt for 1 ride in the period. 90min was 17mb of data which was more than I was expecting.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

moyboy

by moyboy

my Bolt exports to Dropbox no longer work with Garmin Connect. Is this intentional by Garmin? I feel like it is....

bilwit

by bilwit

Been automatically syncing consistently since the update.. in fact I noticed today that after I ended my ride it showed the screen with "connecting to WiFi..." at the top until I walked into WiFi range and it did its thing, never noticed that before.

yinya

by yinya

So I did three days of testing, but it ended in a bit of failure as a lot of the roads were without data coverage. For what it's worth - all days ~30 mins cafe time and Day 1: ~5.5hrs active time and 5.2 Mb mobile data use, Day 2: ~7.5 hrs and again 5.2 Mb, Day 3: ~4.5 hrs and 4.0 Mb. I wish this was true but based on the above post from Bomber I doubt it.

havana

by havana

Probably other apps were running as well.

Normally it's around 1-1.5 mb/hour.

Not sure what the American measurements for hours and MB's are?
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

We just use MB's etc like everybody else and now that you've mentioned it how unamerican of us. I propose we start using the "keg" as a unit of data in the US, one keg = 17.76mb 'murica