Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

Make sure that you have the latest version of WKO4. Recently, Wahoo started to use a new standard for .fit files, and it caused me a problem with a legacy version of Golden Cheetah. The latest update to GC solved the issue.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

After updating my Element Bolt to the latest update (WB09-1628) on 8/23/17, I've discovered a few bugs.

1. On one instance, I stopped at my local shop during a ride and when the unit paused. It failed to pick up my power meter and heart rate sensors when it woke back up. I ended up having to turn the unit off and when I turned it back on it found the sensors again.

2. The lap button used to beep and show a lap count notation on the screen when you hit it. It doesn't seem to do this any longer.

3. I have the auto lap function set for 1 mile. The unit is recording the laps, but is no longer showing the lap count on screen or making an audible warning.

4. On the Strava live segments, the profile portion of the screen is totally dark.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

I've had the first issue with the power meter before the last update but since the update I've also had:

-5sec power stuck on one number, some part of hitting the lap button and cycling through the pages fixed it

-for the first time I had trouble connecting to my power meter at the beginning of the ride, usually just takes a few turns of the crank, I stopped and made sure the power meter was transmitting and the bolt picked it up after that

Edit to add: I've tried to duplicate the dropout after a stop for water but haven't been able to, was hoping to figure out the best fix if it happens again

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

kytyree wrote:I've had the first issue with the power meter before the last update but since the update I've also had:

-5sec power stuck on one number, some part of hitting the lap button and cycling through the pages fixed it

-for the first time I had trouble connecting to my power meter at the beginning of the ride, usually just takes a few turns of the crank, I stopped and made sure the power meter was transmitting and the bolt picked it up after that

Edit to add: I've tried to duplicate the dropout after a stop for water but haven't been able to, was hoping to figure out the best fix if it happens again

I was stopped for a long time when it happened to me... probably 40 minutes. I'm guessing that the power meter and HR monitor had fallen asleep (although that's strange because I had the HR monitor on the whole time, so it should've still been transmitting.) and then when the wahoo un-paused it didn't look for the sensors long enough for them to turn back on and find them.

kytyree

by kytyree

When I've had it happen it wasn't that long of a stop, just long enough to buy a drink in a gas station and pour it in a bottle. But what you propose sounds possible to me.

kytyree

by kytyree

I've decided the issue with my powermeter not connecting again after a stop has to do with the powermeter itself and not the Bolt.

I've managed to recreate the problem a couple of times in the last few days and I can fix it without changing anything or doing anything to the Bolt itself. I'm still not sure exactly what is going on with the powermeter as it wakes up quickly at the start.

But after a stop if it doesn't connect I can use the app for the powermeter to connect to it and once it connects to the app the Bolt can see it too. Which is weird because the app sees it pretty quick without me doing anything more to wake up the meter.

I'm using the powertap pedals fwiw.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Interesting... Do you have multiple bikes with a lot of sensors left at home? For example, a few road bikes each with speed, cadence, power etc?

I contacted Wahoo support and they seem to to think its an issue where you have a lot of sensors "left at home" if one doesn't quite wake up quickly, the wahoo thinks its "left at home" and puts it in that category. I do. I have 3 road bikes, each with a power meter for power/cadence and each with a speed sensor, plus the HR sensor... actually, now that I think about it, my fat bike has a speed sensor and cadence sensor as well.

The issue has only happened to me that one time, last weekend we stopped for coffee on one of my rides and everything sync'd back up when we resumed... perhaps it was just a fluke. Interestingly, yesterday I noticed that the issue I listed as #4 in my list with the profile section of the strava live segment going black had been fixed.

kytyree

by kytyree

I don't actually use any other sensors at all. I'm fine with gps speed and the pedals don't need a separate cadence sensor and I'm not interested enough in heart rate to wear a strap.

So just the powermeter for me. Now that I can fix it, not a big deal but still not quite sure what happens.

yinya

by yinya

Anybody know how much data live tracking uses - if I leave it on during a trip for 10 hours, will I get a huge roaming bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Has anyone enable the left/right balance feature with a Quarq and had it working? Mine doesn't...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

glepore wrote:Has anyone enable the left/right balance feature with a Quarq and had it working? Mine doesn't...

Yes, mine seems to work fine.

glepore

by glepore

Thanks, dug up a legacy ipad with a 30 pin and I'll delve into Qalvin, might be disabled on the meter. Its a new to me elsa.

liketoride

by liketoride

mine shows, so i would say mine works

7ducati

by 7ducati

Had my first issues with my Bolt today. It lost GPS signal several times (mph showed --, instead of a speed). This was also the first time I had my GoPro running right below it, so I don't know if was just a coincidence or if some signals got crossed. Once I turned my GoPro off, the bolt worked perfectly for the remainder of the ride (~ 30 minutes).

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Thanks-
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

yinya wrote:Anybody know how much data live tracking uses - if I leave it on during a trip for 10 hours, will I get a huge roaming bill?

Response from Wahoo: "unfortunately this is not a metric that we keep track of"...