Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

calleking

by calleking

Any idea if this insert kit will make the Elemnt/Bolt fit in Canyons out-front mount for their Aero cockpit?

https://k-edge.com/shop/accessories/rep ... nsert-kit/
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

calleking wrote:Any idea if this insert kit will make the Elemnt/Bolt fit in Canyons out-front mount for their Aero cockpit?

https://k-edge.com/shop/accessories/rep ... nsert-kit/

Hi,

I can only comment about how the Bolt works with Canyons out front mount, not the original Elemnt.

To make mine fit I had to modify the original puck & turn it through 90 °, which meant drilling & countersinking two holes in the mount, which was simple enough. The bigger problem was that when I tried to attach my Bolt, the shape of it would catch on the sides of the Canyon out front mount preventing it from being twisted into place. I resorted to grinding away some of the mount with a Dremel.
The whole thing took around 10 minutes & I think it's OK, but it may not be to every ones taste.

I could probably post a photo if it would help ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Hey! Thanks for the reply Tomdaws. I saw that you did this earlier in the thread. My idea was to switch out the insert on the canyon mount to the one i linked so that the Wahoo bolt/elemnt mounts correctly. As far as i can see there should be enough space between the headunit and the handlebars considering that an Edge 1000 fits easily.

Please provide pictures if you've got the time to do that. Also, i asked Wahoo directly about the insert but no response so far. Might have to ask K-edge instead.

Retired:
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

calleking wrote:Hey! Thanks for the reply Tomdaws. I saw that you did this earlier in the thread. My idea was to switch out the insert on the canyon mount to the one i linked so that the Wahoo bolt/elemnt mounts correctly. As far as i can see there should be enough space between the headunit and the handlebars considering that an Edge 1000 fits easily.

Please provide pictures if you've got the time to do that. Also, i asked Wahoo directly about the insert but no response so far. Might have to ask K-edge instead.

Hopefully you can see from these photos.

I'm not sure the kEdge puck will work tho. the screws on it screw down from the top into a kEdge mount. The Canyon ones screen up from the bottom.
Garmin mounts work fine tho. with a small modification, there's plenty of info. on the web about how you'll need to increase the size of the slot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

calleking

by calleking

Thanks a lot for those pictures. Now I just have to decide between the Bolt and the Elemnt...

Retired:
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2

glepore

by glepore

Those little tabs on the wahoo mount engage in slots on the Elemnt/Bolt for added security. No biggie using a garmin mount without, just pointing it out. The wahoo mount is unidirectional as well.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ric2012

by ric2012

Hi guys,

I'm planning to order the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Does it show distance to next turn and distance to destination, same as Garmin? Does it also beep when the front chainring is about to shift when using semi-synchro shifting?

dpmcalli

by dpmcalli

One option for mounting on Canyon Aero Cockpits is raceware mount. Heres it on the H31

kytyree

by kytyree

My Bolt arrived yesterday, messed around using my phone last night and rode with it today. I like it, so far connects to other things easily and simple to use, hopefully it holds up over time.

dpmcalli

by dpmcalli

Where did you find stock kytyree?

kytyree

by kytyree

I backordered from REI last month so I could apply my dividend toward the cost.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

[quote="dpmcalli"]One option for mounting on Canyon Aero Cockpits is raceware mount. Heres it on the H31

Great timing as I was looking for a solution. Is this the one you ordered?

http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/wahoo ... ted-mount/

dpmcalli

by dpmcalli

Is this the one you ordered

Yeah thats the one mate.

dpmcalli

by dpmcalli

Bolt owners in this thread. I have a question for you. I have a Garmin 820 Edge that Ive had mixed experiences with which I thinking of returning for a BOLT. Has anyone got opinions on if this is a wise thing to do.

My issues with the 820 have mostly been with the touchscreen which is a pain to use with gloves, and freaks out when it rains or gets covered in sweat. Additionally I've had other annoying issues like Live tracking not working consistently,and issues with battery drain occasionally, even when turned off.

Although the 820 mapping is probably going to be better, its seems to be better in ways that dont matter to me. I just want to follow a course I've made on a clear map. I dont need street names or re-routing etc. Indeed, the features in mapping that the BOLT doesnt have are not particularly well implemented in the 820 ( re-routing mostly just makes you do a U turn, navigate home often takes you on insanely busy A roads etc)

SO basically, is the experience with the BOLT worth moving from a 820 for? It may be considered a 'downgrade' but it seems to do the features Im actually interested in and using much better.

Opinions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

No touch screen so you don't have to worry with that. Most everything is done with the three buttons on top and primarily the the right button to change pages.

I've only used the navigation in the most basic form so far. A north arrow, carrot where you are and the roads drawn on the map. But I haven't loaded a route yet just toggled over to the screen to see what it was like. It seems that especially in conjunction with a connected phone it will do quite a bit more though.

No personal experience with the 820