Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kurisu

by kurisu

You know, you might be right, they might have put some sort of time limit to the pauses to avoid corruption or something.
I've had so many lost rides with my Garmin units by doing exactly wheat you are doing, maybe I unconsciously started to not pause rides for too long and never ran into this limitation of the ELEMNT :)
Litespeed T5 | No. 22 Great Divide | Ridley Helium SL | No. 22 Reactor

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I don't understand the point of pausing the ride for 6+ hours at work and then continuing it for the ride home... That's two rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianeire

by ianeire

The ability to do that with a ride was something I valued a lot with my Edge500 and personally speaking is something that I hope Wahoo implement at some stage.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Feedback from Wahoo support is that there is a 6 hour time limit that treats anything with a longer break as a new ride.

No real issue for me, but consider it that riding to and from work was a single ride. Others think that it isn’t, and that’s fine.

Under the 6 hrs though is all good

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I don't understand the point of pausing the ride for 6+ hours at work and then continuing it for the ride home... That's two rides.

-this- It's TWO RIDES people. Not one.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I know Strava can combine two rides into one. It will show your 6+ hour gap as paused time.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

AZR3

by AZR3

Quick question, I just got my Bolt and also Assioma Duo power meter pedals and when I set the Bolt up to show avg power the avg is way lower than it should be. NP for my last ride was 239w but the avg is only showing 152w, and if I upload the file to Golden Cheetah it shows my avg power as 217w. I only have two rides with this new set up and both show super low avg power compared to my previous setup, which was a P2M Type S and Garmin 500, both files show more realistic avg power when uploaded to Strava or GC so assuming its a Bolt software issue.

Anyone have issues like this? (Sorry if this was possible covered in this thread)

Chris3g

by Chris3g

AZR3 wrote:Quick question, I just got my Bolt and also Assioma Duo power meter pedals and when I set the Bolt up to show avg power the avg is way lower than it should be. NP for my last ride was 239w but the avg is only showing 152w, and if I upload the file to Golden Cheetah it shows my avg power as 217w. I only have two rides with this new set up and both show super low avg power compared to my previous setup, which was a P2M Type S and Garmin 500, both files show more realistic avg power when uploaded to Strava or GC so assuming its a Bolt software issue.

Anyone have issues like this? (Sorry if this was possible covered in this thread)
yes there is definitely some issue with the Bolt's average power calculation. I'm not sure if it specifically relates to the Assioma pedals, but i also have Assioma's and see the same. There has been some discussion about it on the comments of the DC Rainmaker Assioma review and apparently Wahoo is aware of the problem. As far as i can tell the only number that is affected is the average power for the entire ride.

AZR3

by AZR3

Chris3g wrote:
AZR3 wrote:Quick question, I just got my Bolt and also Assioma Duo power meter pedals and when I set the Bolt up to show avg power the avg is way lower than it should be. NP for my last ride was 239w but the avg is only showing 152w, and if I upload the file to Golden Cheetah it shows my avg power as 217w. I only have two rides with this new set up and both show super low avg power compared to my previous setup, which was a P2M Type S and Garmin 500, both files show more realistic avg power when uploaded to Strava or GC so assuming its a Bolt software issue.

yes there is definitely some issue with the Bolt's average power calculation. I'm not sure if it specifically relates to the Assioma pedals, but i also have Assioma's and see the same. There has been some discussion about it on the comments of the DC Rainmaker Assioma review and apparently Wahoo is aware of the problem. As far as i can tell the only number that is affected is the average power for the entire ride.

Well that’s a relief that it’s not just me lol. It’s strange how the file is ok cause if you view it in other programs the avg power is correct, strange that wahoo can record it but can’t display it properly.

jever98

by jever98

AZR3 wrote:
Well that’s a relief that it’s not just me lol. It’s strange how the file is ok cause if you view it in other programs the avg power is correct, strange that wahoo can record it but can’t display it properly.
Have you already installed the latest FW? When I got my Elemnt some basic calculations were still wrong, but haven't noticed a wrong AP anymore.
----
No longer in the industry

AZR3

by AZR3

jever98 wrote:
AZR3 wrote:
Have you already installed the latest FW? When I got my Elemnt some basic calculations were still wrong, but haven't noticed a wrong AP anymore.
I have, I’m running WB09-1815, I updated it when I first set everything up. I find it strange that whatever it’s using to display avg power is off by 60ish watts, which if it was only showing a half value I could see that as maybe it’s an issue reading what Duo is feeding it. But half would workout to be 108w and I imagine that viewing the file would show the same result, but it doesn’t. I emailed Wahoo support to see if they have any ideas or are working on any updates to address this.

Other than that issue I really like the Bolt, much easier to set up and view than my old 500

AZR3

by AZR3

Just an update, got a response from Wahoo and they said it’s an issue they’re aware of, as Chris3g mentioned above, and is on their schedule to fix in a future firmware update but no date of when that would happen

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Time to ask the wise for help again.

OK, finally got the new bike on the road, and the PM (FSA Powerbox) fitted. Paired it to the Bolt, no issues, but ....

When on the ride, I noticed that the 3s power reading was zero. At lights when taking off or putting in a burst, the power showed a climbing number (as you would expect) and when I had accelerated to my top speed it maxed out. All good. But then when maintaining that max speed, the 3s power value soon drops to zero again even though I’m putting out plenty of power ?

I checked the field on the CA during the ride and even tried the 3s Max power but the result was the same.

I was expecting something like a continual number that would reflect the level of effort over the last 3 sec ?

It is the 1st Ride with the PM (cadence worked fine). Looking at the power file in the CA post ride, it seems that the power spikes are there, but it returns to zero even when doing a constant pace up an incline ?

The FSA instructions were followed (and they were simple) so am I missing something ? Does it need a ride or two to calibrate itself ?

glepore

by glepore

That's not normal, in order to troubleshoot it you'd need another device recording the power...can you borrow a garmin or do you have an computer with an ant dongle and a trainer? Its hard to tell whether its the pm or the head unit, but what you're seeing is not some calibration issue.
One ride with another head unit, or a ride on a trainer, would tell you whether the drops are an issue with the powermeter or with the bolt either receiving signal or displaying it.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Well after faffing about getting the 1030 setup again, went on morning ride with daughter. Same issue on both head units :-(. Then, after about 3km, voila, all good !!???!!???!?!

WTBH ?

The PM now functions as it should. Maybe it has an inbuilt learning time of about an hours riding ? I dunno. Either way, it seems to behave like it’s meant to. Oh, and other problem fixed too, so, all good now ! :-)