Giro Empire SLX durability, experiences?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

1.2mm upper v 1.4mm on the ACC version. Doesn't seem like much but I've seen worried comments about their durability. Anyone got any experience with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I don't own that pair but I own giro slx with Velcro and they have held up nicely. If your the type of person that cares for their shoes they will last. I think that most people here have more than one pair of shoes. One pair for bad ugly days and one for good weather days.

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

I've had SLX's for about a year now and put maybe 4-5,000 miles on them and they look almost new. Some scuffing on the toes and normal wear and tear. But over all considering how "fragile" they look and feel they've held up exceptionally.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, ordered a pair there as I didn't really see anyone complain about them. I have a beater pair for crappy weather and the trainer so.. will behave :D

jekyll man

by jekyll man

You'll be bored of them, or fatigued the soles by the time the uppers have worn out...
Official cafe stop tester

Stefano

by Stefano

Another happy Empire SLX owner here- they are truly fantastic shoes. Best I've ever owned, and I have a season in them and they look almost new. The colored laces get kinda gross if you ride gravel a lot, that's the only wear item really.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I have a couple pairs of the SLX and the ACCs and actually do not like the SLX as much. The upper has a slightly different feel/cut and starts to hurt the top of my feet after 3+ hour days back to back to back. Kind of a bummer as they are so much lighter but I reach for my ACC shoes 95% of the time

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

spandexboy817 wrote:I have a couple pairs of the SLX and the ACCs and actually do not like the SLX as much. The upper has a slightly different feel/cut and starts to hurt the top of my feet after 3+ hour days back to back to back. Kind of a bummer as they are so much lighter but I reach for my ACC shoes 95% of the time

Same here. Also I find that both, the SLX and ACC catch a lot of unremovable black marks from tires or contact with opponents in races (apparently some out of control stuff that never happens during training).

rheosibal

by rheosibal

I have them both. 3 pairs of ACCs, and 1 pair of SLXs.

Absolutely love the SLXs, not one complaint except the black scuffs mentioned above. Have about 8000kms on them. Just a note though, the SLXs don't need as much break in time as do the ACCs. In all 3 pairs, I've had to downsize by .5 and let them break in to match the sizing for my SLX.

Not sure if it's just my shoes since I have experience with only 1 pair of SLXs, but just a heads up. For reference, I'm a 42.5 in almost all shoes, including the SLXs, but for the ACCs, I've had to order 42s.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

To echo what others have said, outstanding shoes. I had the ACC's first then the SLX's. I dont see any difference in durability, probably have 6-7,000 miles on my SLX's. You'll break something long before they really "wear out".

One of my buddies pulls his laces very tightly, had a shoe repairman put metal eyelets in the lace holes. Always thought that was a great idea, maybe I'll do it with my next pair!

Christono

by Christono

I've just bought a pair so this is reassuring

garjo

by garjo

Today changing my old cleats noticed this crack on my right Empire carbon outsole (just 1year old=6000km), could Giro warranty cover this kind of defect? Please let me know..
ImageImageImage
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

zirxo

by zirxo

It's easiest to just contact Giro and see what they say. We can only guess what they'll do.

garjo

by garjo

zirxo wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am
It's easiest to just contact Giro and see what they say. We can only guess what they'll do.
Yesterday I sent an email to the shop where I bought them one year ago, today they wrote to me they have already contacted Giro assistance so in the next days I will know..
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

IchDien

by IchDien

The sole cracked on mine, too. Emailed Giro 10 days ago...no repsonse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com