Getting rollers - recomendations please

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

I'm getting rollers for the first time. I don't want to spend more than about 300 euros.

I want them to be as silent as possible and well build. If I can do up to around 250-300 w on them it will be sufficient for my intended use.

Doing research the Kurt Kinetec Z-rollers look good and the Minoura Live Roll 700. There is no magnetic resistance in them, will that make them more noisy?

If magnetic resistance the more silent option maybe the Elite Arion Mag would be good. But I really dislike the plasticky look of them.

Please come with your best advice :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

Can't say for certain but I'd have though resistance would make more noise? I think the surface you put them on has a big bearing on noise as well.

Have you ever used rollers before or have you just not owned a set? I found using ones like the first two you mention - straight metal cylinders vs. parabolic plastic a lot harder to balance. Not sure if that is just me though. Can ride no handed on the plastic but feel like I have to concentrate hard on the metal ones just to reach for a bottle. Something about diameter of the drums maybe?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

tuba

by tuba

buy the SportCrafters OverDrive Pro Rollers.

dual resistance levels, foldable & quiet

Antoine

by Antoine

I have the Elite Arion for 2 weeks, it's quite silent, stable and the plastic seems strong enough.

It's like riding on a flat road so it must be possible to reach 250-300W and having to keep a good balance makes it harder.

It's not completely foldable and the front roller can be adjusted only 2cms by 2cms .

I don't really need resistance , just simple rollers for warm-up and light workout (velodrome is 15 kms from home).

SportCrafters OverDrive looks great but it has to be shipped from the US I guess.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I just tried the feedback sports model and that thing is pretty quiet as it is compact..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Zak

by Zak

Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up getting Kreitler compact rollers. So far I'm very happy. They to be build very well and they are quiet. I ended up choosing them for the no nonsence approach.

beatle

by beatle

You can buy a cube shaped rare earth magnet and stick it on the frame butted right up but not touching one of the roller drums. This will dramatically increase the resistance for about 20 USD. It is what I use for intervals down to 30 seconds.

slcvgn

by slcvgn

Kreitler Rollers are the best in the biz.
Street by street, block by block.

Zak

by Zak

Good to hear that there are other happy Kreitler users.

@beatle: do you think your trick works with the challenger version with plastic ends? I already use small earth magnets glued to my crankarm and spoke for my bike-computer. It's so much more elegant than Garmins magnet solutions.

Zak

by Zak

@Rick: That looks like a nice little home-hack. Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but I don't get how it works. Aluminum is not magnetic, so how does it generate resistance?

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

The magnets create eddy currents in the aluminum. The eddy current creates a reverse polarity magnetic field repelling the magnet.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=eddy-currents

I've done this on my aluminum Performance rollers to add resistance.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

If I ever see one for sale second-hand I will buy a set of TruTrainer rollers in a heartbeat. Can't justify the expense purchasing them new, but would absolutely love to get my hands on them.

I've rode on Kreitlers and enjoyed them, but I'd really much prefer the flywheel, build quality, and platform of the TruTrainer setup. Not that there's anything exceptionally wrong with the Kreitler rollers, but the truTrainer setup is just another step up.

Maybe if I paid full pop for anew set the TruTrainer folks would update their website to something that doesn't look like it was built on a Geocities platform.

Zak

by Zak

@mvnsnd: Thankyou very much for posting the link!!! That explains it very well.

beatle

by beatle

The pic of the DIY magnets above is more work than needed. As long as the drum is aluminum and you can situate the magnet near that drum, you will get enough resistance. Thank you Faraday.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com