Interesting idea that nobody followed?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

Kayrehn wrote:Actually my point is that not only does it missed the point as clincher tires, the tubular form also doesn't confer the usual benefits of tubulars. But I'm using it for weight savings so...

Weight saving? The lightest available is claimed at 295g, all the rest are over 300g. Any high level clincher or open tubular with even a half decent inner tube will be lighter.

Even if they were lighter, I don't believe for one second that a few 10s of grams woud outweigh the Crr difference between a crap casing and a good one...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

beanbiken wrote:
Calnago wrote:It's not still around is it?

Believe so. http://www.wiggle.com.au/tufo-c-hi-comp ... cher-tyre/

Holy smokes... those must be left over from 20 years ago, when I tried them :) . Was trying to remember what I was thinking when I got them. It was this... I hadn't used tubulars before and all I had was clincher wheels. Given what I knew then, or more accurately what I didn't know, I thought I could try them to see what a tubular actually felt like to ride even though I didn't have tubular rims, without realizing the stuff I wrote about in my first post in this thread... that as long as you try to mount something between the two walls of a clincher rim, it simply cannot behave like a true proper tubular mounted on a tubular rim. When you don't know better, the marketers can tell you anything and you'll probably believe them, at least a little bit. There's a whole lotta that going on now in the industry.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:Holy smokes... those must be left over from 20 years ago, when I tried them :) .

Doesn't look like it. Check out Tufo's website - they still list 8 different models!

http://www.tufo.com/racing-tyres/

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well... good for them then, I wonder who's buying them :noidea: .
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

People who want to run 150psi but don't have tubs?

Miller

by Miller

Calnago wrote:@bm0p700f: I'm gald you've found something that works to your satisfaction. I don't use them personally, jsut installed them for others etc., and get reports of so and so trying to fix their tubeless flat on the road. Just seems like a pain in the ass that can be avoided with clinchers so why not. Plus, the tire selection is very limited and doesn't seem like that's changing anytime soon either. And they certainly don't ride like a tubular, because they still have to rely on the two "walls" of the clincher rim that I described in my previous post, rendering them much more like clinchers than a tubular.

There are some very good tubeless tyres now so no worries about ride quality. The gratitude you feel when sealant catches a puncture while you're out on a ride sure makes up for a bit of faff with sealant etc back at base.

Apols for off-topic.