Garmin Edge 820 Video Leak

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Did anyone else happen to catch the 3.5 minute video that was put up yesterday showing what is reported to be the Garmin 820? It was only up for 24 hours before being removed by Garmin for a copyright claim. I was able to see it before being taken down and it was really well done.

As the article linked to says, the person who put it up is a Garmin employee (maybe not anymore after this) and is a videographer, which would explain why it was so well done. His YouTube page is loaded with lots of Garmin product videos, all of equal quality as to what I saw. This combined with what Garmin having the video pulled within 24 hours makes it seem pretty legit.

The link below has a good synopsis of what was in the video so far as features shown, etc., were pretty interesting. It's definitely a big upgrade from the 800 / 810. Bummer that the video was removed so quickly and before anyone could get a copy of it and post it elsewhere.

http://gpsrumors.com/edge-820-rumour-video

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I didn't manage to catch the video, another site had this screen grab up

Even if it was an accidental leak, it's gotten us talking about it.

Hopefully it'll be more more a leap than the 1000, but I suspect at this point my 810 does enough that I'll just wait for it to die.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Thinking to self, darn NDA! :mrgreen:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ghost234

by Ghost234

It looks exactly like the 520. Are we sure it is not a mistakenly named item?

If it is real, I hate the idea of the bottom buttons. They are a pain in the ass on my 520 and I really wish they didn't have them.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Are we sure it has bottom buttons, or maybe those symbols are for capacitive buttons?

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

It definitely looked like they were buttons on the bottom. There were some photos that went up previously on the Garmin website which are still there and I saw linked in another article. They definitely look like buttons. Those photos would be these:

Liggero

by Liggero

Nice, but I think the Edge 500 is the most pro ever, after seeing this. It's too bulky for such a small screen. too thick.
Garmin electronics design is kind of bad, any chinese phone manufacture is 1000 better.
Happy Trails !!!

ms6073

by ms6073

I am pretty sure those images are from computer renderings, not photos of the actual device.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

That is just poor design to place those buttons on the back edge, It is not like they actually used the space to make the screen larger either. It also looks like it is about the size of the 520. All around not what I was expecting or looking for. There was no need to make it smaller than the current 8x0 series. And any phone manufacturer would have told them that people want touchscreens that fill most of the front panel. It sure seems like a step backwards with regard to customer feedback. But for most companies it's not about the customer it is about the bottom line.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I wish they would quit building new stuff and support stuff just released. The charging port gasket is ridiculously poorly designed on my 520s. The little rubber "o" ring the screw goes through to attatch to the body has torn on both and I've lost one. Garmin, you reading this? Manufacture some replacement parts! I'm not the only one who's had these cheap things tear loose. And having to duct tape the port is cheesy.
Colnago e Campagnolo

ms6073

by ms6073

Vagabond wrote:I wish they would quit building new stuff and support stuff just released.

Oh, now that is just plain crazy talk. :D
Apparently Garmin thinks that just because consumers want a new variant of a Smart Phone or tablet every 3-6 months, that the same holds true for the cycling community.
Last edited by ms6073 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael

rma

by rma

I'm still using my 2009 Edge 705, and it is just rock solid, except when it rains because the sensor gets wet (I think) and the elevation goes crazy.

Shrike

by Shrike

Wonder if they'll gimp it so it doesn't outshine the 1000. Unless they're also planning on a new 1000 release too..

bungis

by bungis

If those are indeed buttons at the button they'd still be pretty awkward to use looks like.

I like the 510 for a "dumb" bike computer, easy to reach buttons for mission critical stuff like starting/lap and touch screen for the rest. Choice

dolophonic

by dolophonic

looks like a 520 but with the touch screen.. sounds good to me..

Agreed garmin have extremely bad track record supporting their goods .. still waiting for a real alternative..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com