Garmin Edge 510 needs repair

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

So I turn on my 510 today and all my info was gone, my bike profile and user are all gone, when I tried to enter them again, the unit is not responding. everytime you press the start button the unit just shuts off. I also did a factory reset and still the same. Anyone here ever had this problem. Can't find any info on the internet and my only option is to send it back to Garmin which they have a fixed fee of $80.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomHelly

by TomHelly

I had similar issues with my second Edge 510 recently (first replaced for other software problems).

Mine was out of the 3 month(?) refurbished unit guarantee period so just had to pay the $84AUD to get another one.

Kind of a pain that what could be such a good device, seems to have so many software bugs...

You could always sell the new unit you get to put some $ toward an alternative unit?

nismosr

by nismosr

my 510 is almost 2.5 yrs old so I doubt Garmin will replace it, they have a fixed fee of $80 to send the unit back to them.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I had this same exact problem a while ago! Beyond going through master and factory resets, I found that the following steps is what worked for me.

Original article link: https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... 0000000%7D

The following steps will walk you through the process of formatting your device*:

Connect Edge to your computer using miniUSB cable
From your computer locate Garmin device which will be listed as a drive labeled "Garmin Edge 510"
Right click on this drive and select option to format (Acknowledge any pop up messages to format device and leave any settings that are already selected and wait until completed)
Disconnect Edge from computer and power it on
Power off Edge and Reconnect to computer
Download and extract the "Edge 510 files.zip" file that is attached to this article to your computer's desktop
Place the extracted "files" folder from your desktop into the "Garmin" folder on the Edge 510
Place the remaining extracted files outside of the "Garmin" folder on the Edge 510
Safely eject and disconnect the Edge from your computer

AJS914

by AJS914

I crashed and broke the screen on my 510. Garmin will fix it for a flat fee of $85. I'm a computer guy and wouldn't be against DIY but when I look for parts (ebay, aliexpress, google) I come up with prices higher than $85 just for the display.

Is repair through Garmin the way to go? Or, is there another option I haven't found?

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

AJS - I'd just bite the bullet and fork over the money to repair. I would however ask them to discount that price. I had an issue with my Garmin 510 tabs breaking and after giving them the shopping list of products I have registered with them between me, my wife, and my parents, they did offer me a discount on the repair cost. There was some back and forth between the agent I was speaking with and the "supervisor" that "advised" him on my discount, but pretty painless.

nismosr

by nismosr

Garmin 510 is back to normal, as the agent says it's probably a corrupt file, so I deleted all the folders and that did it. reset it to factory again .

Rick

by Rick

When my 500 died after about 3 years, I made use of the $80 flat fee policy, and they sent me back what appears to be a completely new unit.
So, having anything break is a PIA, but the $80 fee seems like a really great deal.

AJS914

by AJS914

I sent mine in to Garmin. Self-repair didn't seem feasible. Parts on ebay were more than $80. And, of course, there would be guarantee of success.

shotgun

by shotgun

A car ran over mine, destroyed the LCD screen. They charged me $80 but replaced the entire unit with a new/referbished one.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com