Camera Mounts and Assorted 3D Printed Parts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

thanksbye

by thanksbye

I'm uk based.

Any way I can just ship you a mount to mode off?

Jon

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Jon, I will PM you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robiets

by Robiets

Hi Waldo,

I'm interested in the wahoo mount for the BMC ICSstem as well.
Is it possible to ship to the Netherlands?

Robert.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Robert,

That is entirely up to Shapeways, I actually think they print in Denmark so I see no reason they wouldn't ship it. I am just a cyclist and CAD person I don't work for Shapeways, I just use them to make the stuff. They work as Printer, Shipper, Customer Service, they are the actual people you buy from. I just get a small percentage. So contacting their Custoimer Service will give you all the details.

Robiets

by Robiets

Waldo

Thanks for your reply.
I have found it.
Keep up the good work

Robert

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Robert,

This is the model they have for BMC: http://a360.co/2eXK9Qv
Please note that there are three variations of the same mount, they are labeled Extra Small, Small, Medium only because Shapeways does not let me label them any other way. The description shows you which one is which. also if you select a size the picture changes. The BMC version is the smallest one because there simply is nothing in the way that forces it to be bigger. But BMC and Bontrager both use a GoPro compatible mount. The Shapeways page is here: http://shpws.me/OO1G

Robiets

by Robiets

Waldo,

Thanks for the help.
Luckily they added some comments at the bottom, to let you select the right one.

Can you also make such a mount for a Mio and a Polar bike computer?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Robert,

I am responsible for all the text on the item pages, Shapeways just hosts it and does all the other stuff too. If I have a description that is incomplete or inaccurate then it is my fault and please let me know so I can correct it. Good to know you found the correct one.

I don't know anyone in the US that owns a Mio or Polar bike computer so I don't have anything for them. With no help from manufacturers it is difficult for me (retired and on fixed income) to go out and buy everything that people want to attach to bikes, so I rely on others to allow me to borrow mounts to reverse engineer how they work.

macgarroni

by macgarroni

WheresWaldo wrote:Over the past couple of months I was looking for easy ways to mount my newly aquired Sony HDR-AZ1VR Mini Action Cam to my bicycles. Sony like all other action cam manufacturers do not have a lot of options for mounting. The ones they do have have to be universal and adjustable so they tend to be big and heavy not to mention ugly.

With all the hoopla about 3D printing, I did a lot of research and found that 3D printed parts can be every bit as strong as injection molded parts and weight-weenie light. So I set about refreshing my mechanical drawing skills, took a look at what I needed and went about designing my own mounts.

Before you all say we don't need another mounting system, please note that I did not make up a new one. The GoPro is ubiquitous, there are more mounting options and cheaper mounts than any other brand. I based my designs on directly adapting the original manufacturers mounting system to the GoPro system. This opens up a world of possibilities as to where you can put your action cam.

I am not trying to duplicate existing mounts or adapters, just fill in a niche where things could be infinitely more weight conscious or where there are no alternatives. My intent was to have the parts I needed to get where I wanted with the least number of adapters, the sturdiest vibration free mounts and of course the least amount of weight. I thought that if I could use such items, maybe some of my weight-weenie aquintences could use them also. I am not trying to be the next big thing, just filling a space with one-off parts that no one else wants to make themselves. I do not make these items myself, that I leave to Shapeways. They take care of everything, shipping direct to whoever buys from them.

Here is a link to my Shapeways page and a few pictures of some of the items I have designed;
The Revolutionaries on Shapeways
Image Image Image
27.2 mm Seat Post Mount
31.6 mm Seat Post Mount
2009-12 Cannondale Synapse Seat Post Mount

Image Image Image
Contour T-Rail Direct to GoPro Mount
Sony HDR-AZ1 Direct to GoPro Mount
Sony HDR-AZ! Direct to Contour T-Rail Mount

Image Image Image
Sony Live-View Remote to Garmin Quarter-turn Mount
Ion Air Pro CamLOCK Direct to GoPro Mount
27.2 mm Race Number Plate Holder

This is just a small sample of stuff no one else makes. The images are in random colors to show what Shapeways can do. Like I said, I use them and some guys at MTBR have purchased some of the mounts too. I understand that DIY has an appeal, but why kludge some stuff together when you can just use a single mount conversion. I am constantly adding stuff that I feel I can use, but I am also open to suggestions. If you know what you want, and can describe it or draw it I can see if its something I want to tackle.

Just a couple of notes, this is weightweenies after all. As an example: If you wanted to mount a Contour Roam 3 on a 27.2 mm seatpost you could use the mount, direct ot GoPro T-Rail adapter and two M3 x 16 mm socket head cap screws with nylon insert lock nuts (hardware is not included with my mounts) and the total weight would be approximately 18 grams. And that is with Stainless Steel bolts and nuts! Contour does not make a seat post mount but you could use the Contour 2755 Flex Strap Mount at 36 grams provided it doesn't interfere with you pedal stroke. To front mount, if you have something like a K-Edge Garmin mount, the T-Rail adapter weighs just 3 grams.

With regard to strength, these parts are made out of nylon, it is a very strong material used by some F1 race teams on various parts. It is made using a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS for short). Each part is build up layer by layer in a block of nylon powder. A laser then melts selected areas of the nylon fusing it to the layer below. After the process is complete the cooled parts are removed from the block of nylon powder, cleaned, polished and dyed.

Some but not all of the stuff I have drawn up is available on Thingiverse for those adventurous to try 3D printing for themselves. Just be prepared for a lot of trial and error and reprints. There are also no support structures included with the Thingiverse files so there will be a lot of prep work before you have a perfectly usuable print.

I could not be happier with my custom solution from Revolutionaries. This is the only legitimate solution I have found for mounting a headlight underneath the integrated computer mount on my Venge ViAS (replaces the Di2 mount).ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Is there a mount available which converts from a Garmin mount the Wahoo one AND is in the same aero shape as the bolt mount, i.e. like the front part of this bit, but just as an adaptorImage

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

I never create one and I am sure Raceways doesn't have that either. It sounds like you want an Wahoo BOLT aero bottom shell that has a Garmin mount on the bottom of it?

I have no plans to make anything like that so I am not sure you are going to find anything exactly like that.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@macgarroni Thanks for your support.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks for replying Where'sWaldo, to me it seemed like an obvious request, but cool if not going to happen.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

It takes a lot of work to get the Aero mount adapted to other mounts and the whole point of the aero mount is that Wahoo Fitness designed it as a standalone mount not as a piece you lock on to extend the BOLT case. I would have to completely redesign the internal structure of my mount to make it work that way. Since the Raceware is completely filled in and does not use the original Aero Mount Bottom Cover, it would be far easier for them to design such a mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com