2015 'PRO' cycling discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Baby VdP is a bad a$$ with class. I reckon he does one more season and then goes full time road when he gets offered a contract in the region of what he pulls in CX which I'm sure is pretty hefty in bike rider terms.

It's funny in the UCI/ASO spat, shows how CX actually has done a great job with its financial model. Obv much easier with captive audience and short duration/high intensity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

And it's much easier to spread the revenues around for two reasons: you have much... much lower costs to put on a cross race than you would to put on just about any road race when you factor in the police and road closure costs. Secondly, you have a paying audience providing the revenue to spread. The high end road events (TdF) may make more profit, but CX seems to do a whole lot better with the smaller events. The small crosses seem to go on year in and year out with no worries. You certainly can't say that about the road side of things!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

How do cx salaries compare to road, at the top and overall?

Rondje

by Rondje

Not sure but I think the top cx riders earn more then the average road racer. On a talkshow in Belgium about CX they said Stybar probably still doesn't earn more on the road then he did as CX rider.

Pieter

by Pieter

With cyclocross, the top (well don't really know how many) get paid to start a race (think I read somewhere it was a few thousand euros). I would guess there are some that make 500K to 1 million a year.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Nys is considered to be earning 1.1 million a year, he gets 10.000 euro starting fee. So yes you have to be quite a good pro on the road to beat that.

In the winter of 2013 Telenet offered a wage of 500k to Stybar, plus starting fee's etc he would earn 800 a 900.000 euro's a year. He earned 450k at QuickStep (at that time). He got a better contract this year but he'll never earn 900k.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MisterNoChain wrote:Nys is considered to be earning 1.1 million a year, he gets 10.000 euro starting fee. So yes you have to be quite a good pro on the road to beat that.

In the winter of 2013 Telenet offered a wage of 500k to Stybar, plus starting fee's etc he would earn 800 a 900.000 euro's a year. He earned 450k at QuickStep (at that time). He got a better contract this year but he'll never earn 900k.

For the top guys, as Nys has demonstrated, they can have a long and very lucrative career in CX alone. I wonder if Lars Boom wishes he had stayed in cross as he could have been the new Nys (though with a discount being dutch and not belgian!). I am sure that the calls will come for MVDP to give it a go on the road. I hope he stays in cross and provides us with a rivalry to watch with Van Aert.

erty65

by erty65