Craft Racing wheels - carbon spokes 1180g

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

da123 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:43 pm
pushpush wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:28 pm
I have experienced the same thing with tires (GP5kstr) "falling off" when deflating. Notably this is the only wheelset I've ever experienced this with and I am DEFINITELY using sealant and the sealant has definitely had time to work its magic. I can see where some sealant as solidified around the edge of the tire. It just appears that it is unable to adhere to the wheel itself. Perhaps this is unique to the surface texture of the wheel? Seems unlikely that CRW are doing anything that special or unique, but I guess it is possible.

All of my other wheels require some significant effort to unseat tires when deflated. With my 5060 I can literally deflate and just push on the tire with my thumb and it will pop right to the middle of the wheel.

It hadn't really occurred to me to engage Panda on the topic. I'm curious to see what else you hear from them.
Perhaps Joe could pitch in on this? It sounds like it is an 'issue' common to the wheels given at least 3 of us have experienced it. Whether that makes it an actual 'issue' in practice I don't know (I'd certainly like to!). Could it be anything to do with the tape they use? One thing I did notice is that the wheels are taped with tape that is 5-6mm wider than the internal width (so the tape on my front 5060 is 30mm wide, and the tape on the rear is 26mm wide). I had originally thought the recommendation for tape was 'internal width plus up to 2mm', but maybe I'm wrong (and obvs, tape has to account for the centre channel)? This is pure speculation on my part - I've no idea even if the tape was unusually wide that it would make any difference.

Would certainly be good to get some re-assurance on this in any event.
Is this actually an issue though? I have 4 carbon wheelsets at home from 4 manufacturers, and this happens on all of them depending on the tire, or even the time. I've never even questioned it. Some will stay seated, some don't. Even the same tire and rim sometimes it will unseat itself when deflated, other times it stays seated. To be honest, I figured this was normal. It's never given me pause.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:05 am
da123 wrote:
pushpush wrote:
I have experienced the same thing with tires (GP5kstr) "falling off" when deflating. Notably this is the only wheelset I've ever experienced this with and I am DEFINITELY using sealant and the sealant has definitely had time to work its magic. I can see where some sealant as solidified around the edge of the tire. It just appears that it is unable to adhere to the wheel itself. Perhaps this is unique to the surface texture of the wheel? Seems unlikely that CRW are doing anything that special or unique, but I guess it is possible.

All of my other wheels require some significant effort to unseat tires when deflated. With my 5060 I can literally deflate and just push on the tire with my thumb and it will pop right to the middle of the wheel.

It hadn't really occurred to me to engage Panda on the topic. I'm curious to see what else you hear from them.
Perhaps Joe could pitch in on this? It sounds like it is an 'issue' common to the wheels given at least 3 of us have experienced it. Whether that makes it an actual 'issue' in practice I don't know (I'd certainly like to!). Could it be anything to do with the tape they use? One thing I did notice is that the wheels are taped with tape that is 5-6mm wider than the internal width (so the tape on my front 5060 is 30mm wide, and the tape on the rear is 26mm wide). I had originally thought the recommendation for tape was 'internal width plus up to 2mm', but maybe I'm wrong (and obvs, tape has to account for the centre channel)? This is pure speculation on my part - I've no idea even if the tape was unusually wide that it would make any difference.

Is this actually an issue though? I have 4 carbon wheelsets at home from 4 manufacturers, and this happens on all of them depending on the tire, or even the time. I've never even questioned it. Some will stay seated, some don't. Even the same tire and rim sometimes it will unseat itself when deflated, other times it stays seated. To be honest, I figured this was normal. It's never given me pause.
I suppose the answer to that is 'I don't know'. My concern is whether the fact that the tire doesn't stay seated and slips back into the centre channel easily as the tire deflates means that it is more likely that the tire separates completely from the rim rather than staying attached in the event of rapid deflation. The hooked nature of the rim isn't going to assist if the beads have dropped into the centre channel. I don't think anyone is trying to set hares running, it just seemed unusual to me (and it looks like to others too), that when inflating, the tires didn't exhibit the same 'snap' into place that I was used to, and then on deflation dropped apparently very easily into the centre of the rim. It would just be good to have some re-assurance either way. It appears that using soapy water on installation has made a difference to at least one other person, so I'll try that next and see whether it resolves the issue (if indeed, as you say, it is actually an 'issue').

Nickldn

by Nickldn

da123 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:05 am
da123 wrote:
pushpush wrote:

I suppose the answer to that is 'I don't know'. My concern is whether the fact that the tire doesn't stay seated and slips back into the centre channel easily as the tire deflates means that it is more likely that the tire separates completely from the rim rather than staying attached in the event of rapid deflation. The hooked nature of the rim isn't going to assist if the beads have dropped into the centre channel. I don't think anyone is trying to set hares running, it just seemed unusual to me (and it looks like to others too), that when inflating, the tires didn't exhibit the same 'snap' into place that I was used to, and then on deflation dropped apparently very easily into the centre of the rim. It would just be good to have some re-assurance either way. It appears that using soapy water on installation has made a difference to at least one other person, so I'll try that next and see whether it resolves the issue (if indeed, as you say, it is actually an 'issue').
It's highly unusual for tubless tyres not to 'seat' firmly on the rim and fall to the middle when air is pumped out. I recall someone mentioned a Roval rim (CLX55 I think) also did this and was not well received.

Is it an issue? Firstly there is the safety aspect, if the tyre falls to the middle it's also more likely to come off before the rider can stop, especially when descending. There's also the aspect of damage to the rim being caused when the tyre peels away from the side. Not good.

Looking forward to CRW addressing this soon.

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

Anyone experiencing no reply from PandaPodium. I hace tried 3x last week to get support on my shipment tracking. But no help or reply from them ;-(

shorttcuteddy

by shorttcuteddy

My best guess would be that they are at the Taipei bike show
MarcFaFo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:41 pm
Anyone experiencing no reply from PandaPodium. I hace tried 3x last week to get support on my shipment tracking. But no help or reply from them ;-(

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

shorttcuteddy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:57 pm
My best guess would be that they are at the Taipei bike show
MarcFaFo wrote:
That might be a good guess, but my guess is that not the complete office goes to Taipei.

spartan

by spartan

i own a pair of crw 50/60. great wheelset but the rear hub noise is loud. too loud. what grease would be recommended to quiet it down?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Was told that you need to use the DT Swiss specific ratchet freehub grease like this:

https://www.certini.co.uk/bike-maintena ... UsQAvD_BwE

Is there a choice? I would like to know what others think.

rockb

by rockb

for the record, after some rides, the 28mm Michelin Power Cups (tube version) measure on the 5060 wheelset:
- front: 32mm (rim 34 external)
- rear: 30mm (rim 29 external)

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:49 pm
Was told that you need to use the DT Swiss specific ratchet freehub grease like this:

You can use any type of bearing grease (my experience), it is just the amount you put in in relation to the "thickness" of the grease. If it is too much the engagement mechanism (spring) doesn't work leaving you pedealling in air. But it also helps if you put in a little more of the DT Swiss grease than advised to bring the noise down.

TheDoc

by TheDoc

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:49 pm

I've been using Dumonde Tech freehub grease in my DT hubs for a few years and nothing to complain about

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

MarcFaFo wrote:
Did you get a reply? Usually we're pretty fast at replying during the week. Usually within 24hrs. If its more than 48hrs, hit us up via instagram DM or live chat on our website (during Chinese working hours.) These days some of the big enail providers (Gmail, etc.) are changing the way they filter SPAM, etc, and it's having some consequences.

As for the tire / rim thing. I will update this thread tomorrow. I just got back from Taipei so will do it in the office tomorrow. Basically the tires do come unseated from the hooks "easier than average" but as some in here have said, there's a full spectrum out there of how easily tires do or do not come unseated. BUT, CRW did some tests on a rolling rig (which I'll send the video of tomorrow) with the tire rolling at 0psi, including taking corners, etc, and the tire at no point comes close to coming off the rim (despite being un-seated.) How easily the tire comes on / off the rim is totally different to how easily it does or doesnt become unseated from the hooks. (The former being related to the depth of the inner groove and the radius of the outer lip, the latter being about hook size / shape and tire bead size / shape.)

Even with tire / rim combos that stay on the hooks when deflated, I would NEVER recommend riding on that. If you wanna be able to ride on flats; use tubulars.

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

ChinaCycling wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:37 pm
MarcFaFo wrote:
Did you get a reply? Usually we're pretty fast at replying during the week. Usually within 24hrs. If its more than 48hrs, hit us up via instagram DM or live chat on our website (during Chinese working hours.) These days some of the big enail providers (Gmail, etc.) are changing the way they filter SPAM, etc, and it's having some consequences.
Yes this morning I received a mail explaining what I should expect. I have seen on the tracking that the package has arrived in Germany, so I expect this week a message from the shipping co. when they will deliver.
Thanks for explaning the possible delay. First mail was sent March 7th. Reminder on the 8th and 10th (but that one was in the weekend :wink: ).

tomertz

by tomertz

After listening to Ronan Mc Laughlin interviewing JP Ballard (Swiss Side) on the Performance Process Podcast, I concluded that the 5060 front is too wide and hindering aerodynamic performance and decided to go with the 5055, which has 29mm external width front and back

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtYSsKM7c5E <-- As promised, here's the test of the CRW CS wheel running a GP5000s TR at 0psi. 70kg of load, running at 30kph, and then some light cornering thrown in too. Again, don't recommend you try descend the whole of Alp D'Huez with 0 psi, but, you're gonna be able to stop safely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com