FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jecgarci

by jecgarci

Agent041 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:36 pm
jecgarci wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:00 pm
Just sharing my Hyper 35 with RD270 and carbon spokes. 28mm Vittoria Graphene 2.0.

Initial impression is that it holds speed better than my roval alpinist clx 1 at 40-45kph, maybe because its stiffer with carbon spokes or maybe its was just a good day for my legs lol. I have yet to try it in longer climbs in my area so i'll just update this post once I do.
Good combination (frame/wheels). How responsive are the wheels. Is it low inertia? And how are they comparing them to Alpinist CLX in responsivness?
For now I would rate these better than the Alpinist CLX but I'll still test these out in longer climbs. Imo, its more responsive than the Alpinist, definitely feel the power transfer while pedaling at 40-45kph. I ran the Alpinist in a recent duathlon and I would find myself exerting more effort just to keep the speed that I was at at the flatter segments. Inertia I would say is a little lower in the Alpinist but maybe because those have more points of engagement in the hubs. I'll test out if I can transfer the ratchet from those hubs to this.

The RD270 is also not for people that like loud hubs. Definitely silent lol

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

jecgarci wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:44 am
Agent041 wrote:
jecgarci wrote:
Just sharing my Hyper 35 with RD270 and carbon spokes. 28mm Vittoria Graphene 2.0.

Initial impression is that it holds speed better than my roval alpinist clx 1 at 40-45kph, maybe because its stiffer with carbon spokes or maybe its was just a good day for my legs lol. I have yet to try it in longer climbs in my area so i'll just update this post once I do.
Good combination (frame/wheels). How responsive are the wheels. Is it low inertia? And how are they comparing them to Alpinist CLX in responsivness?
For now I would rate these better than the Alpinist CLX but I'll still test these out in longer climbs. Imo, its more responsive than the Alpinist, definitely feel the power transfer while pedaling at 40-45kph. I ran the Alpinist in a recent duathlon and I would find myself exerting more effort just to keep the speed that I was at at the flatter segments. Inertia I would say is a little lower in the Alpinist but maybe because those have more points of engagement in the hubs. I'll test out if I can transfer the ratchet from those hubs to this.

Awesome, they look great too. I doubt the carbon spokes / added stiffness would contribute to any noticeable improvement in "holding speed" but the wheels should feel nice and snappy when stomping on the pedals.

I've just ordered the same set I think, Hyper 35s (21/28 diameter) on RD270 hubs. Going to be using these as a hill climb race wheelset. Any suggestions on tyres? I'm very loyal to GP5000s and wondering whether a 25mm would blow up perfetly to 26-27mm on these 28mm wide rims... any other suggestions much appreciated. Weight and grip are priorities as they will be raced up 25% gradients in the rain :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Agent041

by Agent041

jecgarci wrote:

I just ordered my wheels. With Standard star ratchet (36T). Have never dig into differance in more tooth ratchet (54T). Would that make any diferrance in responsivnes from low speed? In theory definatelly. But does one feel the differance? Will I have that "superb feeling" of even lower inertia wheels?

The price differance is +35usd for the 54T. And I would probably not be late to change the order. Opinions?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

More tooth in ratchet is useless for road riding speeds and constant pedaling. Its a mtb thing for technical riding, where you need quick engagement when going really slow and changing between rolling and pedalling all the time.

Agent041

by Agent041

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:49 pm
More tooth in ratchet is useless for road riding speeds and constant pedaling. Its a mtb thing for technical riding, where you need quick engagement when going really slow and changing between rolling and pedalling all the time.
So have I understand so far. When going from freewheeling to engaging (strongly).
Does it make any differance when already pedaling normally to explode in pedaling with heavy power (making longer sprints on steep short climbs)?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

No, it doesn't. Once pedaling and transferring power - no matter if 10 or 1000W - its engaged.

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

jecgarci wrote:

What cassette are you running there? It looks like it has a single black sprocket (largest one)? I'm in two minds whether to try a Sixwheel - saves 50g over DA but shifting might be cr@p.

4le91

by 4le91

Hello nice people! I am tempted to upgrade my fulcrum wind db 40 because too shallow and heavy and I'm in the market for an higher profile (50mm to 58mm maybe even mixed). I have been looking at 3 different price ranges, 1000 euros for the wheelsfar hyper with rd270, 1300 euros for the winspace hypers d45 se, and above 1800 euros for the fulcrum speed 57 and fast forwards raw 55. I'm inclined towards the lower price range but some answers I would like to find regarding the wheelsfar.
1) is the rd270 comparable to a dt in terms of quality and machining? Are the bearings well seated and sealed from the environment? I have seen someone mentioning free hub body is missing a seal back in the thread.
2) are the wheels well trued and dished?
3) how does the stiffness compares to winspace hypers and standard cx-ray build from light bicycle for instance? I would like to try something new compared to the usual still spokes but I wonder if these wheels are similar to the glorified winspace
4) someone on the hevier stronger side (I'm 83kg) managed to deform under load the rim to get the carbon spoke to twist on themselves?
5) are the carbon spoke locked in a non round hole at the hub side? Or they can twist both at the hub and the rim nipple?
6) how likely do they twist? I think I would be super pissed off by that. I guess a fix is to increase the overall tension while truing
7) anyone with a long term review? 6 months or more. Any regret over other wheelsets?

Thanks to anyone that can help me to find some of those answers 🙏

wziel

by wziel

After a short exchange of emails, I received an offer for USD 899 for Hyper 50/58 carbon spokes on an R270 hub. So I had no choice but to pull the trigger. I hope to have a Roval Clx1 for sale soon :P

patliean1

by patliean1

Man...these wheels are TEMPTING - 50mm deep, 30 external, 24 internal, glossy UD, carbon spokes. 36t Ratchet hub.

Currently the best all-around wheels I've reviewed including value have been my Magene EXAR DB508 Ultras. 50/58 deep, 23int, 30int, carbon spokes, ceramic bearings, ratchet hub. Paired with 30c GP5000s and they are a dream on the road. Now even going back to 28c tires on 21mm internal wheels feels a bit harsh.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

pedalbasher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 am
jecgarci wrote:
Agent041 wrote:
jecgarci wrote:

Awesome, they look great too. I doubt the carbon spokes / added stiffness would contribute to any noticeable improvement in "holding speed" but the wheels should feel nice and snappy when stomping on the pedals.

I've just ordered the same set I think, Hyper 35s (21/28 diameter) on RD270 hubs. Going to be using these as a hill climb race wheelset. Any suggestions on tyres? I'm very loyal to GP5000s and wondering whether a 25mm would blow up perfetly to 26-27mm on these 28mm wide rims... any other suggestions much appreciated. Weight and grip are priorities as they will be raced up 25% gradients in the rain :)
my 25 GP5000s blew up to close to 28mm on the 21mm inner width.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

tiz92

by tiz92

4le91 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:14 pm
Hello nice people! I am tempted to upgrade my fulcrum wind db 40 because too shallow and heavy and I'm in the market for an higher profile (50mm to 58mm maybe even mixed). I have been looking at 3 different price ranges, 1000 euros for the wheelsfar hyper with rd270, 1300 euros for the winspace hypers d45 se, and above 1800 euros for the fulcrum speed 57 and fast forwards raw 55. I'm inclined towards the lower price range but some answers I would like to find regarding the wheelsfar.
1) is the rd270 comparable to a dt in terms of quality and machining? Are the bearings well seated and sealed from the environment? I have seen someone mentioning free hub body is missing a seal back in the thread.
3) how does the stiffness compares to winspace hypers and standard cx-ray build from light bicycle for instance? I would like to try something new compared to the usual still spokes but I wonder if these wheels are similar to the glorified winspace
4) someone on the hevier stronger side (I'm 83kg) managed to deform under load the rim to get the carbon spoke to twist on themselves?
5) are the carbon spoke locked in a non round hole at the hub side? Or they can twist both at the hub and the rim nipple?
6) how likely do they twist? I think I would be super pissed off by that. I guess a fix is to increase the overall tension while truing
7) anyone with a long term review? 6 months or more. Any regret over other wheelsets?

1. the quality is good, nothing bad. bearings seat well and run still super smooth (I have two pairs and already several thouands km on them, also raced them 7h under heavy rain, no water got in)
2. both sets are very true
3. i have no idea about stiffness data but they feel very stiff (65kg rider 330w ftp, max sprint 5s 1300w)
4. i dont think anything will twist
5. the hole is round but no twisting until now
6. i dont know
7. i got my first set in august 2023 (45mm, 28mm wide) and a second one in november (55mm, 29mm wide). While I dont know exactly how many km I have on them as I own a third set of wheels and often swap them I should have thousands of km on them as i train around 20 hr (550-600 km) per week. No issues at all until now. Bearings are like new.

4le91

by 4le91

tiz92 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:07 pm
4le91 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:14 pm

1. the quality is good, nothing bad. bearings seat well and run still super smooth (I have two pairs and already several thouands km on them, also raced them 7h under heavy rain, no water got in)
2. both sets are very true
3. i have no idea about stiffness data but they feel very stiff (65kg rider 330w ftp, max sprint 5s 1300w)
4. i dont think anything will twist
5. the hole is round but no twisting until now
6. i dont know
7. i got my first set in august 2023 (45mm, 28mm wide) and a second one in november (55mm, 29mm wide). While I dont know exactly how many km I have on them as I own a third set of wheels and often swap them I should have thousands of km on them as i train around 20 hr (550-600 km) per week. No issues at all until now. Bearings are like new.
Cool thank you! That is what I needed to hear 😄

jecgarci

by jecgarci

pedalbasher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 am
jecgarci wrote:
Agent041 wrote:
jecgarci wrote:

This explains the "holding speed" part better thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jecgarci

by jecgarci

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 pm
jecgarci wrote:

I just ordered my wheels. With Standard star ratchet (36T). Have never dig into differance in more tooth ratchet (54T). Would that make any diferrance in responsivnes from low speed? In theory definatelly. But does one feel the differance? Will I have that "superb feeling" of even lower inertia wheels?

The price differance is +35usd for the 54T. And I would probably not be late to change the order. Opinions?
Definitely dont need to upgrade to 54t for engagement. I think its not nocesssary for road like eins4eins said (unless you like louder hubs). I'd use that money to get another freehub so you can switch groupsets wihout the hassle of waiting to order again lol.