FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Agent041

by Agent041

This thing with no rim holes for RD270 hubs is very strange, as I have already told @DHG01 previously. I was also told that from Wheelsfar through WhatsApp, that if I want RD270 hub, the truing must be done from the inside of the rim (through rim hole). Truing external is not possible.

This was my only downside for this setup. But went with it anyway, as the spokes should be stronger with this kind of bond.

garbageman

by garbageman

To add to the confusion, this recently updated chart is from the AliX page for RD270/carbon spoke wheelsets:
fsCapture.JPG
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805757378173.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Agent041

by Agent041

For 30deep, 24/30, as I know it is not available aymore with RD270 on their site. But with DTSwiss hubs (and other), it is still there.
But I asked on WhatsApp if it is still possible with RD270, and they told me, that can be done by custom order. Did go for the new deep (40mm), so did not matter at the end.

But maybe that is why it is written with red. So The rim is taken from other hub wheels, and therefore it has no holes, as other do not need holes, as it can be external trued. But still , there is question how does one the true the wheels? Are the spokes, as with DTSwiss hubs? Or something new?

Matte86

by Matte86

I went back to them inquiring about rims holes with carbon spokes and RD270 hubs
They told me they could make the rims without holes, but it then would be difficult to tension spokes and/or substitute one if needed, so that’s why they generally tell it’s not possible
I then specifically asked about nipples and they placement/form, but they didn’t provide any satisfactory reply as they instead re intereted the above
For this reason, I didn’t move forward with it and wait for your orders to be delivered

DHG01

by DHG01

Matte86 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:36 am
I went back to them inquiring about rims holes with carbon spokes and RD270 hubs
They told me they could make the rims without holes, but it then would be difficult to tension spokes and/or substitute one if needed, so that’s why they generally tell it’s not possible
I then specifically asked about nipples and they placement/form, but they didn’t provide any satisfactory reply as they instead re intereted the above
For this reason, I didn’t move forward with it and wait for your orders to be delivered Image
I would tend to think tensioning is easier; in a basic manner, it can be done without removing the tyre (not to mention rim tape). Changing a spoke is more work; requiring the magnet trick.

Matte86

by Matte86

DHG01 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
For this reason, I didn’t move forward with it and wait for your orders to be delivered Image
I would tend to think tensioning is easier; in a basic manner, it can be done without removing the tyre (not to mention rim tape). Changing a spoke is more work; requiring the magnet trick.
replacing a spoke I’m a little less bit concerned, but tensioning yes As they didn’t confirm nor deny a different design or solution
I think if they were confident on it they could have updated the website and leave people the freedom to choose
Having said that fully tubeless rim without holes is the way to go imho and what I’m looking forward for future development

Agent041

by Agent041

DHG01 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:46 am
Matte86 wrote:
Still I think that they said it is very hard, because these are not normal niples, as with DtSwiss (and other) hubs. Probably very hard to turn around from outside. Probably not possible with wrench or something similar. Otherwise it would be the same as with DTSwiss hubs. Something must be.

4le91

by 4le91

They look like this https://www.superteamwheels.com/product ... bon-wheels it seems that they are just oversized nipples. Truing from external sounds better, no rim tape is best, replacing a spoke is as tricky as any other holeless carbon rim like fuclrum mavic campagnolo

Tofast

by Tofast

How is the crosswind stability of the hyper wheels when compared to well review wheels like Roval Rapide, DT Swiss ARC or similar?

4le91

by 4le91

4le91 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 pm
They look like this https://www.superteamwheels.com/product ... bon-wheels it seems that they are just oversized nipples. Truing from external sounds better, no rim tape is best, replacing a spoke is as tricky as any other holeless carbon rim like fuclrum mavic campagnolo
A new video showing how carbon spoke wheels manufacturer started using external nipples and holeless rims https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al9N6czeqj8

toxin

by toxin

yeah superteam do it by just making gigatnic nipples (definitely a weight penalty there), we still have to see how farsports do it

4le91

by 4le91

toxin wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:45 pm
yeah superteam do it by just making gigatnic nipples (definitely a weight penalty there), we still have to see how farsports do it
It is the same I asked them when buying them (not yet here). There is a picture also at the top of page 167 where you can see they are probably identical.

4le91

by 4le91

There is probably no weight penalty as they are the same but just exposed. They are only held at different heigth. Possibly the weight penalty comes from the holeless rim instead.

DHG01

by DHG01

4le91 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:17 pm
There is probably no weight penalty as they are the same but just exposed. They are only held at different heigth. Possibly the weight penalty comes from the holeless rim instead.
Mine are at 1201 grams according to Farsports. That is about 21 grams more than the advertised 1180 weight. Could be do to, non exclusive:
1. No hole
2. Campy free hub
3. Larger nipples
4. Manufacturing process
5. Scale error

All in all...21 grams :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4le91

by 4le91

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:41 pm
4le91 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:17 pm
Mine are at 1201 grams according to Farsports. That is about 21 grams more than the advertised 1180 weight. Could be do to, non exclusive:
1. No hole
2. Campy free hub
3. Larger nipples
4. Manufacturing process
5. Scale error

All in all...21 grams :mrgreen:
Do you have some close up photos? For example at nipples and hubs where the spokes are laced?