The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For a 290mm sapim race and brass nipple weight is 7.25g for reference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nixster

by Nixster

Hi All,

I've read the thread, OCD clearly but I found it interesting! Mostly :D .

So a question:

I have a Farsports 50x25mm tubular rear wheel, 24 spokes laced 2x DS, radial heads out NDS on a 2:1 Bitex ED hub. Had it 2 seasons and it's been well behaved and checking it with my newly acquired Park TM1 it is evenly tensioned and appears well built.

But.

It's not that stiff, or having read Roger Musson's book, it may be that the rim is very stiff but anyway I get movement at the brakes, enough to rub when climbing out of the saddle.

I'm light (60kg) but I had a thought that I could improve the NDS bracing angle slightly by re-lacing it heads in, sacrificing a little tension in the cause of lateral stiffness. With only 8 spokes on the NDS it's hard to see them ripping the flange apart?

So, given the risks of re-building it and me making a Horlicks of a currently pretty good wheel:

1 - is it worth it?
2 - could/should I re-use the spokes? (I'm guessing change in length will be trivial but thinking about fatigue in the elbows)

Nipples are SILS in a fetching red colour if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Nixster

Marin

by Marin

No, yes.

It won't be perceptibly stiffer, but you might break the flange.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the main problem is the hub. the bitex 2:1 is not a proper 2:1 hub in book as the flange spacing are not optimises for 2:! lacing. you will get a stiffer wheel with a std bitex hub. for the wheel to be stiffer with 2:1 lacing you need a NDS flange at least 45mm from centre.

So if you want a stiffer wheel dont mess about replace the hub.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

So a small update on my rear-wheel Mavic Open Pro UST build. It took quite long to finish because it was really hard sourcing the rim.

I decided to build a slightly better wheel than initially planned. So I went for a DT 350 rear hub DT revolution 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes aluminum nipples on the NDS and brass on the DS. The wheel has 28 spokes, and is laced 2-cross. I also decided to use it for trying out tubeless.

The build went quite well, took me only about 6 hours compared to 12 for my first rear-wheel build - and this was mostly because I forgot to lube the rim-nipple interface and had a lot of DS-nipples round off, so I replaced all DS nipples which took some time. One thing that slightly worries me is that I have 109kgf on the DS but only 52kgf on the NDS, but lets see how it holds up with time.

Thanks a lot for all the comments/suggestions!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

dont worry about that tension balance. I have personal wheels with under 400N NDS and they are quite stable.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Chasing a wide alloy rim for an everyday road disc wheelset. What's the current hotness to build 28/28, more than likely onto hope hubs in 12x100/142

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

@Nefarious: I have not yet tried out my Mavic Open Pro UST build yet, but it sounds to me that the disc version of the rim fits all your criteria.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They do look good, my only concern with them was how tight some people find them when installing tyres.

Using Tapatalk

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Nefarious86 wrote:They do look good, my only concern with them was how tight some people find them when installing tyres.

... which ultimately limits your choice of tyres significantly... seems an unnecessary hassle

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Yes, especially considering they will be used with regular tubes/tyres.

Using Tapatalk

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Nefarious86 wrote:Yes, especially considering they will be used with regular tubes/tyres.

No go area then. Beside the tightness, my understanding is that Open PRO UST have a pressure limit of ca. 87 PSI, which in essence means tubeless only... unless you use 28 mm tubed tyres.

The moral is pointless to spend extra for UST tubeless rims and then use them with inner tubes

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They will probably be wrapped in Speshi 25/28 Roubaix tyres at about 80/85psi :)

Using Tapatalk

crbeardy

by crbeardy

Hi WW community. Building my first set of wheels courtesy of BDOP and having some trouble with the rear 2x lacing. Ive followed the Musson book to the letter after reading it a few times. The front radial wheel was a piece of cake but i'm having trouble with the 2x spokes on the NDS. The 2x spokes seem to get caught on the hub flange and come out of the hub with a large bow/bending. It all looks pretty wrong compared to the DS.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Rim is assymetric and its 24H 2x

thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_20171201_182713951.jpg
IMG_20171201_182654852.jpg

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Just increase the tension slowly and they will settle. It always starts like this from my (admittedly limited) experience

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com