Glueing tubulars [the tubular thread]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
shimmeD

by shimmeD

I used the conti carbon-specific glue and followed their instructions (wonderfully illustrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evbSjCf-m4) .[/quote]

Urban, just use Mastik. I used the Conti glue once, and didn't like it, much like what you experienced.
Less is more.

banik69

by banik69

Anyone have opinion for dugast tubulars ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

banik69 wrote:Anyone have opinion for dugast tubulars ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From all tubs I like Dugast the most. The aren't that puncture resistant but damn do they roll and grip.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

shimmeD wrote:I used the conti carbon-specific glue and followed their instructions (wonderfully illustrated in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evbSjCf-m4) .

Urban, just use Mastik. I used the Conti glue once, and didn't like it, much like what you experienced.[/quote]

Thanks fella, that's the future for me I think :thumbup:

addictR1

by addictR1

sungod wrote:get some nice veloflex tubs instead - easy to fit, easy to centre, not such a lump at the valve :D

+1... i took sungod's advise and got veloflex sprinters for my TMR02 and veloflex carbon for my addictr1. love them. too bad they don't have sprinter or carbons in 25c though.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Arrenbergs or the Roubaixs are the exact same construction as the Carbons, just in a 25mm version.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

you can see their range of tubs here...

http://www.veloflex.it/products/tubulars.asp?lang=en

...widths 22, 23, 25, 27

addictR1

by addictR1

sungod wrote:^^^this

you can see their range of tubs here...

http://www.veloflex.it/products/tubulars.asp?lang=en

...widths 22, 23, 25, 27

thanks~! is it me or is Arrenbergs & Roubaixs the same...?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

addictR1 wrote:
thanks~! is it me or is Arrenbergs & Roubaixs the same...?

No, believe it is only a difference of side wall colour.............
BB

Coffee & carbon

Geoff

by Geoff

@banik69, obviously, almost everyone uses Dugast for 'cross. I also use the Strada 23s (I prefer the 23s, though I know that 25s are faster) and the Paris-Roubaix 27s (in silk). Beautiful tires. The equal of FMB in every way.

sungod

by sungod

addictR1 wrote:thanks~! is it me or is Arrenbergs & Roubaixs the same...?

as above, it's just sidewall colour

if you look at the widths/weights of the tyres on that page, you'll see there are three 'pairs' that differ only in sidewall colour...

roubaix/arenberg
criterium/carbon
sprinter/extreme

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks~! good to know. now just need to put in more mileage on both sprinter and carbon before i can try others. :)

urbanspaceman

by urbanspaceman

Hi legends.

3 questions:

1. when regluing tubs do I need to remove the old glue from the tyre? It's pretty thin and clean.

2. if the answer is no (which I hope it is), will it be a problem switching from Continental carbon glue (currently on the tyre) to Mastik?

(NB I have now completely cleaned the rim).\

3. re stretching the tubular. I'm using Conti (I know!) and read somewhere that it's good to stretch the tyre again after the glue has been applied to it and before final mounting. If I use a "spare" wheel for this stretching will it get glue all over this rim?

Thanks in advance

dj97223

by dj97223

1. Based on your description, no.
2. I haven't heard of anyone applying one glue brand over another or trying to mate the two. I'm not sure how they'd get along.
3 My experience is with Mastik only, but a tire with dried glued won't stick to a clean rim. You can use a clean spare tubular or clincher rim to stretch.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

@urbanspaceman, if your glue is nice and even and not all 'patchy' on the rim bed, that is generally a very good sign that the glue job was done well in the first place. If you have a good job like that, the next question is whether the rimbed has been 'contaminated'. This is usually caused by mud and grime from 'cross, but can be road grit, too, I guess.

Assuming your glue is 'good', you can easily lay-down some fresh glue, let it cure and re-glue right over it. While I have never tried it myself, some on this Board have warned against mixing glues due to different compounds. One poster in particular (who appears to have an organic chemistry background, but hasn't confirmed that) had historically provided some good reasons not to mix glues. I will not mix glue, myself. If I 'inherit' a wheel that I cannot get a confirmation of glue type from the Team, I will strip it, rather than risk it (I just stripped a Cole carbon from a Rock Racing Derosa where I could not find the mechanic).

With respect to Conti Comps, I have never had a problem mounting them on any wheel. As long as you stretch them on an old wheel, there should be no problem. I usually have a pair in the basement on a rim that have been there for many months, so they have 'set-up' really well. Just glue-'em-up, let 'em cure and toss 'em on.