Wheels for C64 build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

In need of some advice. Am putting together a Colango C64 with Super Record Mechanical, and am undecided about the wheels choice.

Choices I narrowed it down to:
- Campagnologa Bora Ultra 50 (All good round wheel set, but not that much use for climbing in my eyes as I weigh 93kg, and like to have more control on the descent than your lightweight cyclist)
- Campagnolo Shamal Mille C17 (Climbers choice, and it fits with the rest of the build, just not sure about their weight)
- DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic ( I have a set of these already, but with a Shimano/Sram Hub, which I could change. They are great wheels, and have used them for a lot of climbing in Los Angeles, and Mallorca)

Would be great to have some input on the wheels, or even other choices.
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Go with any of the Campy options. Your weight is fine for any of the Boras (50 or 35’s). The Shamal C17’s are great. I’ve only got experience with the Ultra C17’s (not the Mille).
What color C64 are you getting? What size? I’m jealous.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

I’m with Calnago. For a Campagnolo build I’d go with their wheels.

Mine is being built up this week but I’m running Dura-Ace Di2 and am using my existing Cosmic Carbon SL’s. I’ve taken the small yellow decals off though as it Jarred against the white/silver/Black.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Am getting the black PKBK colour, as I currently have a lot of bikes with colours, so a nice black once in a while is quite nice. Probably will stick with the Bora Ultra 50, as they are a pretty good allround wheel set, and braking with their new surface should be imprioved as well.
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

guyc

by guyc

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:13 pm
Am getting the black PKBK colour, as I currently have a lot of bikes with colours, so a nice black once in a while is quite nice. Probably will stick with the Bora Ultra 50, as they are a pretty good allround wheel set, and braking with their new surface should be imprioved as well.
:beerchug:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bright label or dark? Ha. I find on my C59 the bright label Boras are just awesome! Really makes the whole bike come together as something more than just a plain black bike.
Re the new braking surface, that’s probably all you can get these days, but so far I’m preferring the prior braking surface. I have both and the AC3 braking surface is definitely louder. Apparently with wear that sound lessens a bit, I’m just not sure how much wear that will take. I’ve been running Boras since 2010 and the brake tracks are all still in really great shape. Are we going to see pics of the completed build? As a minimum I think the Pictures of Colnagos thread has a spot open for it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

guyc

by guyc

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:35 pm
Bright label or dark? Ha. I find on my C59 the bright label Boras are just awesome! Really makes the whole bike come together as something more than just a plain black bike.
Re the new braking surface, that’s probably all you can get these days, but so far I’m preferring the prior braking surface. I have both and the AC3 braking surface is definitely louder. Apparently with wear that sound lessens a bit, I’m just not sure how much wear that will take. I’ve been running Boras since 2010 and the brake tracks are all still in really great shape. Are we going to see pics of the completed build? As a minimum I think the Pictures of Colnagos thread has a spot open for it.
I'll certainly be posting mine up - PKWH rim brake

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Excellent!

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Not a big fan on any writing on wheels, so am going for the dark label 50s. Will post a picture next week, when the build is finished by Bespoke Cycling in London. But will have to wait until May to ride it, as I m away for work until then .... riding another bike,

Calnago wrote:

Strava
Instagram

tabl10s

by tabl10s

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 am
In need of some advice. Am putting together a Colango C64 with Super Record Mechanical, and am undecided about the wheels choice.

- Campagnologa Bora Ultra 50 (All good round wheel set, but not that much use for climbing in my eyes as I weigh 93kg, and like to have more control on the descent than your lightweight cyclist)
- Campagnolo Shamal Mille C17 (Climbers choice, and it fits with the rest of the build, just not sure about their weight)
- DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic ( I have a set of these already, but with a Shimano/Sram Hub, which I could change. They are great wheels, and have used them for a lot of climbing in Los Angeles, and Mallorca)

Mechanical?!!!,

What's wrong with you? It's almost 2018.5!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Already got a few bikes with electronic gears, so a different direction required. One of my first bikes was a Canyon with Record Groupset, so it’s a trip down memory lane as from What I remember that Record Group was awesome

tabl10s wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:

Mechanical?!!!,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strava
Instagram

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

guyc wrote:
Calnago wrote:
I'll certainly be posting mine up - PKWH rim brake
When is it due?

Strava
Instagram

tabl10s

by tabl10s

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 pm
Already got a few bikes with electronic gears, so a different direction required. One of my first bikes was a Canyon with Record Groupset, so it’s a trip down memory lane as from What I remember that Record Group was awesome

tabl10s wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:

Mechanical?!!!,

First top was Carbon Rec'd 10. First electronic group was D-A 2 9070. Not going back.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

TonyM

by TonyM

Despite the general trend on black wheels and stealth bikes I also have my Bora 50 Ultra/ One in bright label on my C60 OFCG. Looks more agressive/ racing and best of all I definitely have the feeling that cars see me better and make more space around me. Definitely a great advantage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

alexneumuller wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 pm

When is it due?

Build started yesterday Alex. It *might* be this week, but early next is more likely I think.

I've spent most of this week resisting the lure of a pair of Enve 3.4's :lol: