AX Lightness wheels -25T vs bontrager xxx lite tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I currently use bontrager xxx lite tubulars. I got then cheap in great condition and have used them I the alps on a lot of climbs. They are stiff, braking is fine and they seem to be really robust.

It's my 40th birthday this year and the only meaningful upgrade to my trek/campag build would be some lighter wheels. The biggest drop would be a pair of ax lightness 25t wheels with extralite hub and tune u20 skewers. Reviews on here seems very positive. I will be around 73kg for the summer so should be fine on stiffness. I don't put out much power and like to spin up long climbs in the alps on holidays and mainly small hills locally.

I need some thoughts:

1) will they feel noticeable lighter on climbs?
2) are they robust enough for my weight?

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Hi, I have the older AX 24 ULT wheels with tune hubs and weigh in close to the same weight as you. I have had them for 3 years and bought them used and they are still going strong. Lots of people only use this type of wheel for special days with lots of climbing, but I use mine ALL the time. I have put over 10k kms on them, race with them, train with them, basically abuse the $hit out of them and they are still going strong!! I can definatly notice a difference if I compare them to my 1400g clinchers. I would say go for it, YOLO! :-)
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks - that is really reassuring. It's the obvious upgrade to make and a nice way to treat myself for my 40th and for getting down to a body weight where I can enjoy climbing in the alps.

Will get my build down to 5.6kg.