Damaged Gipfelsturms.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi guys.
I took delivery of some second hand Gipfelsturms today and both center spoke protectors have been damaged in transit.
Soon as I opened the box i just knew there would be problems as the wheels were only in the bag without any sort of packaging around them.
Obviously ive spoken to the seller and he said he spoke to LW and they said it would be ok to send them that way. I don't agree as they don't even send like that.
Can these parts be changed, are they glued on. Would they have to go the Lightweight or Berk to be fixed.
I suppose I need to make a claim through USPS.
CheersImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Did you pay through PayPal? I'd request a full refund. I wouldn't put up with that. If the seller packed it poorly that's his fault.

Also, as a side note, my front obviously needs to go to Berk but if you want to handle that I'd sell mine for cheap. Message me and I can go over the repair quote he gave me.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

KCookie wrote: I suppose I need to make a claim through USPS.
CheersImageImage
Best of luck with the claim. It is something the seller will have to handle as he paid for the shipping. Also, despite insurance, usps is likely to negate the claim as it was not properly packed by a certified packer/shipper. I know for a fact as I already once went through that circus!!

I’d demand a full Edina and send them back at the shipper’s expense. If worse comes to worse and you get stuck with them, it seems that fortunately for you it doesn’t seem like a structural part was affected from what I see in the picture.

sungod

by sungod

was it the hubs of the opposite wheel hitting the disc?

imho seller was negligent packing like that - lw pack wheels in a big box with good separation, protection inserts in all end caps, plus wheelbags

afaik the broken bits aren't structural at least in the damaged area, but the first image looks like it broke down flush with a spoke, which begs the question what force did the spoke suffer, the second image looks like side load, again what was the effect on the spoke(s) underneath

it's a bummer, but really you need to make it the seller's problem to sort out, as it stands you have two damaged wheels with no idea if integrity of the spoke(s) is affected, and your resale value is through the floor

KCookie

by KCookie

Luckily I did pay through PayPal, and in my eyes they were packaged poorly. Both wheels just lying on top of each other in the bag so the hubs were putting pressure on the discs. Can't believe they were packed that way but the seller keeps telling me that was the correct way. Complete crap. The spokes all look good so no damage there, but I just don't want them now they are damaged.
I will contact him again and ask for a full refund, I know he will say no, so will have to go through PayPal. Cheers

KCookie

by KCookie

Well i spoke to paypal on the phone today and they were very helpful and started a claim for me. The guy was convinced that I would get a full refund and they would even cover the return cost. I'm not so sure though as the seller in an Attorney with his own law firm.
He has offered a refund minus delivery fee as long as i fix the wheels then send them back. Where's the common sense in that.
I think I'll just leave it to paypal to sort out.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would never buy anything on ebay without using Paypal. They were really good the one and only time I needed them (and the only time I ever bought anything off of eBay). Sounds like they are going to take care of you. And you're right... it's ridiculous that the seller expects you to fix them before sending them back at your expense. Yes... leave it to Paypal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

beanbiken

by beanbiken

KCookie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am
Where's the common sense in that.
I think I'll just leave it to paypal to sort out.

Agree 100%. Common sense unfortunately is not so common these days :?

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

alcatraz

by alcatraz

From US to Australia loose in a box. That is quite laughable.

The seller is very brave and lacks any common sense.

If LW told him to jump off a cliff...

/a

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah I couldn't believe that the wheels weren't separated. Both in the bag pushed in the box and thats it. You would think someone with their own law firm would be a bit brighter.
He is now saying the box was opened by customs so its their fault. Still doesn't defer from the fact they weren't packaged properly. I think he's on the understanding that the discs can be changed quite easily as he's willing to send me some. To me looks like a job for Lightweight and expensive. I have sent them pics for some advice.

mattr

by mattr

KCookie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am
He has offered a refund minus delivery fee as long as i fix the wheels then send them back. Where's the common sense in that.
Whut? He broke the wheels by his negligence/stupidity and now wants you to fix them?

I'm also almost positive that either LW didn't say it was ok to pack and ship like that, or he asked them a different question altogether. You seen how they turn up from the factory? ("slightly" better packed than that!)
KCookie wrote:I'm not so sure though as the seller in an Attorney with his own law firm.
Thats paypals problem, not yours. You'll get the money from paypal. They'll take it from him and i'm sure they employ a far more intellectual level of attorney than your seller appears to be.

I bet he'll try and sue LW.

KCookie

by KCookie

I've spoken to LW, the discs are €45 each, €460 freight plus labour. This is a job I would leave to the professionals, could end up breaking a spoke in the process. They also use a special glue. Any how why should I take this on when it's not my fault the idiot couldn't pack the wheels correctly. Ive just messaged the seller and said I still want a full refund or I'm leaving it to PayPal to rectify. Will wait for his reply.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

I'm mystified. You would think one would pack wheels that have the value of a used car much more carefully...

KCookie

by KCookie

This is the great way he sent them. Image

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Single layer cardboard is the only protection on 3 sides. I'm guessing no bracing in the middle.

I'm impressed with how good the box looks though. USPS between continents should look a lot more beat up than this.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com