Training winter wheel dilema

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Looking for mid range winter/training wheels to replace some knackered fulcrum racing zeros that have worn out rims and shot bearings....too costly to repair.....

Looking at 2018 Fulcrum racing 3 (not actually available in UK yet) Campag Neutron Ultra, Edco Roches or maybe stretch to DTswiss PR1400 Oxic.

Doesn’t look like the Fulcrum or Campag are tubeless compatible.....but spares and servicing are easy to do.

The Edcos have just come down in price (are they going to be updated?)

The DTswiss are light, great hubs tubeless and have the plasma brake track but are more expensive.

What would you go for?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

bike hub store sell the excellent Kinlin rims. Get some of those laced to reliable hubs and you will have a wheelset you can rebuild again and again as it is based on common drillings. In the long run the factory options you are looking at will work out more expensive. You also get good tubeless compatibility.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Tough to beat BDOP's DIY build kits at $240 to $320 shipped if you're even slightly skilled at wheelbuilding.

http://bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Ro ... it%20I.asp

http://bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Ro ... %20III.asp

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'd go cheap for sure. either a pair of shimano rs81's or a pair of mavic kyrsiums
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Digger90

by Digger90

I can't comment on Edco or DT Swiss as haven't owned either, but I've ridden my Fulcrums very HARD (x2 UK winters, Paris-Roubaix twice, Tour of Flanders once) and they haven't missed a beat. Still straight and true albeit now getting concave on the brake tracks (which you'd expect from a pair of winter wheels used in crappy conditions).

My Campag Neutron's I had for 6 years - did thousands and thousands of miles on them and I was gobsmacked at how they performed... still straight & true after all that time with smooth bearings until the 5 year mark... although Neutrons are too nice and too expensive to use as winter wheels IMO (at least in the UK winters).

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

If you want "training" wheels that are tubeless ready... I went to Performance Bike and got a pair of Titan II's for like $200 for the pair. They are heavy as hell, but they have been extremely durable and have stayed remarkably true. They are also about the same width and profile as my "light" wheels, so they are very predictable when switching back and forth.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

corky

by corky

Digger90 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm
I can't comment on Edco or DT Swiss as haven't owned either, but I've ridden my Fulcrums very HARD (x2 UK winters, Paris-Roubaix twice, Tour of Flanders once) and they haven't missed a beat. Still straight and true albeit now getting concave on the brake tracks (which you'd expect from a pair of winter wheels used in crappy conditions).

My Campag Neutron's I had for 6 years - did thousands and thousands of miles on them and I was gobsmacked at how they performed... still straight & true after all that time with smooth bearings until the 5 year mark... although Neutrons are too nice and too expensive to use as winter wheels IMO (at least in the UK winters).
Yeah my racing zeros have really concave rims and the bearing races are pitted and keep coming loose, uneconomic to repair them......don’t really want to go cheap, life’s too short to ride heavy wheels.

I have some original edge now Enve carbon tubs with dtswiss 240 hubs that must be getting on for 10 yers Old now and the bearings are still as good as new, completely rebuildable so that’s one reason I may go for the pr1400s....

Alumen

by Alumen

EDCO is actually bankrupt...

Regarding the winterwheels... I just bought a pair of Mavic Aksium Elite's... Perfect winter wheel for me. Serviceable (parts!), stiff, robust and good bearings according to all the reviews I have read. Maybe not a true weight weenie wheel, but they don't "feel" heavy...
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

corky

by corky

The EDCO bankruptcy was declared last August, the US EDCO company (not declared bankrupt) has taken it over, Paul Lew is now one of the head honchos........ unless you have further info...?

AJS914

by AJS914

Alumen wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 pm
Regarding the winterwheels... I just bought a pair of Mavic Aksium Elite's... Perfect winter wheel for me. Serviceable (parts!), stiff, robust and good bearings according to all the reviews I have read. Maybe not a true weight weenie wheel, but they don't "feel" heavy...

I've also been impressed by Aksiums for the price. I picked up a set for $125 when Nashbar was having a big sale. They rode just as well as the $400 Ksyrium Elites I used to have minus being a bit heavier.

yinya

by yinya

I love the DT 1400 but the light weight might come at the cost of sidewall durability. I ran over something, killed the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

If you look for quality I would go for the DT Swiss! But more costly as you said...

corky

by corky

Wow Yinya that’s some real damage, looks like a sharp edge caused that....iguesss that’s the trade off, lightweight. Against durability

jlok

by jlok

That's unfortunate but i think no nice and light weight wheels could escape without scratch.

On the bright side the wheel did not break and you stayed upright. So maybe it's a great wheel after all.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

mattr

by mattr

yinya wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 am
I ran over something, killed the wheel.
I've done similar with a ~1800 gram set of training wheels. So i'd not (yet) be blaming the low weight!

On the plus side, it was only £40 and an evening in front of the TV to replace the rim. Spare tyres i had........

For training wheels i'd always always always go with standard 28/32h handbuilts with hubs/rims to suit budget.
Some hubs might need some tweaking before use, better bearings/better fill for cartridge hubs, service and fill with grease for shimano.
But the serviceability and home repair trumps any number of factory build wheels.

I once had a factory wheel that was written off due to single solitary broken spoke, importer didn't have any, manufacturer had discontinued the wheel and i was out a 4 year old £500 pair of wheels. (These days i'd have been able to use ebay/forums/net and scoured the world for a spoke, not so easy then.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com