Lightweight freehub swap. Shimano--->Campy??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Have been looking at some used wheels online and came up with a couple of sets in Shimano free hub that seem an OK deal. Question is how to swap the free hub to a Campagnolo one. Looked up on youtube and there is a video in Japanese (don't speak Japanese) that seems to show it is a fairly easy and straight forward swap. Questions is where to get the free hub and which specific one is required.

Can anyone that has done it themselves here please lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

glepore

by glepore

Its a standard DT swiss freehub. Might have a spare campy one in my parts box. Pull off endcap (hardest part of the process), slide off freehub, replace. I'd regrease the ratchet wheels while in there.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Depends how old they are.

some really old have a shimano 7700?? freehub, others are tune, and then later use DT..
Official cafe stop tester

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Thanks you both. This makes it a lot easier to tackle.

glepore

by glepore

I do have one I won't ever use -if you get a set of wheels, pm or email me and I'll send it your way.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Thanks!!

KCookie

by KCookie

dgasmd wrote:Have been looking at some used wheels online and came up with a couple of sets in Shimano free hub that seem an OK deal. Question is how to swap the free hub to a Campagnolo one. Looked up on youtube and there is a video in Japanese (don't speak Japanese) that seems to show it is a fairly easy and straight forward swap. Questions is where to get the free hub and which specific one is required.

Can anyone that has done it themselves here please lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
I'm the other way around. Just bought some Gipfelsturms with Campy hub, ive already bought a new Shimano freehub, but couldn't find any info on the swap apart from the Japanese one you saw on YouTube.
If you swap before me could you post details of the change over.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

it's just a dt swiss freehub, it's very easy to swap...

.. remove cassette
.. pull off the drive-side end-cap (it can be tight, you can use an axle vice or large pliers and wrap thick+tough rubber around the cap to prevent scratches)
.. you can now pull off the freehub by hand, comes off really easily
.. - this is your chance to clean and re-grease the star ratchet if needed (try to use the dt swiss 'special' grease, you only need to use a small amount so a pot should last for many years, excess or too heavy grease will cause problems)
.. push on the new freehub
.. push on the new end-cap until it clicks into place - i put a bit of waterproof grease on the sealing edges as i get a lot of wet rides
.. refit cassette

if you are unsure, the manual is good, plenty of pictures...
https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net/up ... EN_001.pdf

you can buy from lightweight, branded https://shop.lightweight.info/en/Accessories/
or 'plain' , for instance http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-s ... -prod28830

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp if it is the current gen with the DT Swiss hub it is very easy as described!! Go for it!