Dugasted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

I picked up a pair of Dugast red label silks on ebay not long ago at a great price from a seller liquidating her husband's closed shop. Stretched them for a couple weeks, as they were very tight, and glued them. Finally got enough rain to clear the roads of the winter grit and crap for a day, and rolled out and was immediately jackhammered. Upon examination, one of the tires had a "low" area about 3-4 inches long. Unmounted the tire and put it on the wheels I use to stretch and it was no better (unglued). So its clearly a "bad" tire - unsure if its the casing or???

I have it inflated and stretching-any hope? Does anyone know who distributes Dugast in USA?

Real shame as I was looking forward to these as a luxury. At least the FMB 25's from the same seller are perfect.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Were they new?

What could cause such a low point? Dried sealant? Mounted and then put weight there for a long time?

Did someone leave them to stretch for 2 years and forgot about them?

Would heating up the area help?

/a

glepore

by glepore

No sealant. Tires were new and unstretched.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Geoff

by Geoff

I am trying to understand your terminology. Can you describe your problem a bit more? By 'flat spot', are you referring to an inflation issue? I have seen Dugast tubulars being constructed, so it is very unlikely to be an issue related to the assembly of the casing or the installation of the tread.

glepore

by glepore

Its a low area-hard to capture in a photo, but the area at the top in the photo below has a "flat spot" for want of a better term, about four inches in length that you can clearly feel when running your hand over the tire. Looking carefully the tread is lower on the sidewall in that area as well. Although subtle, at speed it sends a very harsh vibration through the bike. I did about 30k on it yesterday, but wouldn't want to ride it again.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Can see it in the pic, and have experienced a similar thing on a Vittoria Rally tubular (which, being a $30 tubular, you expect it to kind of suck - but this one wildly overachieved expectations). Dugasts are hand made, and the treads are always a little "straight challenged." Most cross tubulars I've ridden from every maker has a bit of hop when you ride them on road, which is not noticeable when ridden in CX situations.

Just recently read that Jonathan Page is going to be the Dugast importer for the US in the near future. You may see what he/they can do about it once that gets up and running, but I'd go into it with no expectations. NOS from stock liquidation, probably not easily verified supply chain, any accommodation you'd get will be good will and not really an obligation.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

also hop in tyres can sometimes be the way it mounted. If there is not enough slack in the low area it get pulled down. I have to unmount and re mount tubes more than once as once mounted they just did not sit right with a low spot. this may improve but elimate your issue.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Dugasts are great riding tires, but being truly hand made, the casing can vary as to their continuous diameter around the circumference. I got tired of that crapshoot very quickly and don't use them anymore. Rip it off and install another tire. Even if it's another Dugast, I assure you it will be different. Each seems to have its own personality. There, I said it.

sungod

by sungod

presumably the tub is also narrower at that point

if you take it off the rim and inflate enough for it to take shape, see if it necks down, i'd guess the stitching went wrong here

you could lift the base tape in that area then unpick and restitch a few cm to correct things

glepore

by glepore

Thanks. Its currently pulled and stretching unglued but inflated on a rim. I'll leave it that way for a few months and replace later. Also got 5 fmb's cheapish, and they're more consistent but also more similar to normal Vittoria's of that vintage.

I suspect this is mostly a bling thing really. Normal Veloflexes etc are very very good tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i tried dugast silk ones last year (22 front/23 rear) just to see how they compared

i'd say the rubber is a bit grippier than veloflex, but maybe at the cost of durability, the rear cut badly, and the front tread delaminated after about two weeks riding

but compared to veloflex, man are they heavy! both in weight and in 'feel', they felt surprisingly draggy, i really prefer the ride of veloflex sprinter/criterium front/rear