Which Fulcrum wheel should i buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

proph

by proph

I'm looking for a new allround wheelset. I thought about the last few days and now I am still hesitating between the following models:

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon 799 €
Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 719 €
Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon 1099 €

As you can see, I chose Fulcrum and I think I did not make a mistake. However, I can not really decide here.

The Quattro seem to have a good rim, I have never driven carbon and I do not know how much I trust the braking surface. The hub seems to be a bit worse on the Quattro than on the other models.
I would trust the Zero C17 more than the carbon wheels, simply because it is alloy. On the other hand, I've heard that there could be problems with the Zeros alloy-spokes.I would be glad if someone helped me with the decision.

Another option would be the DT Swiss RC55C, if id like to get a 55mm wheel, which i could get for 1099€. But its been launched in 2013. i dont know, if thats a bit old and in addition, I have heard that it can come to brake failure due to high temperatures on the breaking surface.

I drive a KTM Revelator Prime, mostly in the flat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I have an older Campagnolo Eurus set of wheels that has been awesome. It has the aluminum spokes. If I were shopping today, I'd look hard at the Zonda C17 wheelset. Stainless spokes, only slightly heavier than the more expensive models (Eurus, Shamal C17), and way cheaper.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Quattro and it's a good wheelset. You won't have any issues with the carbon rim or braking, except under wet conditions. The bearings (sealed) are not good. My front wheel bearings already feel gritty and I'm going to order a set of NTN bearings. To me the Quattro is the best deal if you can replace the sealed bearings yourself. The USB ceramic bearings are superlative and I have them on my Campy Boras. But the Quattros cost significantly less than the Boras.

robertbb

by robertbb

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 am
I have an older Campagnolo Eurus set of wheels that has been awesome. It has the aluminum spokes. If I were shopping today, I'd look hard at the Zonda C17 wheelset. Stainless spokes, only slightly heavier than the more expensive models (Eurus, Shamal C17), and way cheaper.
I've got Zonda C17 and Shamal C17. Despite the similarities the performance difference is night and day. The Shamals roll way smoother, feel more comfortable to ride (surprisingly), have a far better braking surface (I have the plain alloy brake track, not all alloy tracks are equal) and they are far, far stiffer. The rim is also more rounded than the very boxy Zonda...

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

For an all-around wheel I’d get the Speed 40. Great wheel, strong, mid-depth and the nice, new braking surface.

proph

by proph

I am sure the speed 40 is a great wheel, but its 1500€ and therefore too expensive, thats almost twice the price of the carbon quattros :(

Are there any differeces between the shamal C17 and Zero C17, or are they the same? Do i have any advantages going for the quattro carbons over shamal/ zero c17? Or just worse Hubs, Bearings and spokes and just alloy instead of carbon? I like the look of Carbon rims and they are 40mm, but that shouldnt be all. i heard they are way stiffer than alloy-wheels. Any more advantages?

Are the bearings in the Quattro Carbon Hubs really that bad? I never had anything to do with changing bearing and dont know which to get even more important: WHERE to get them in germany.

And are there any opinions on the DT Swiss RC55C? There are really few informations and opinions on the internet. what i dont like about them is, that they have a inner width of just 15mm and my 25mm tires wouldtn fit just as good as on the 17mm widths of the fulcrums... And some of the few reviews complain about the breaking performance and overheating. But i really love the look of them. Would be perfect on my bike.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Quattro bearings are smooth when new. But after a few thousand miles they feel gritty. I just ordered some NTN 6903 LLU bearings and I'll be replacing them myself. I just recently bought some tools to do the job. There's another thread on the Quattro which has some info. on the tools needed.

Personally I like the SUB ceramic bearings in the Speed 40. But the Speed 40 costs substantially more. I wanted a less expensive set to add to my Bora 50's.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Your choice of Fulcrums is certainly one that I can understand. They keep impressing me with quality and value for money. Coming out of Campagnolo production quality, they have really good heritage, I guess.

I own both the Zero (in the c15 version, though) and the Quattro Carbon. In my mind the Zero is the better wheel with very smooth bearings, excellent braking and they are really stiff. At 77kg I am no lightweight but I have never made them flex. They have even survived a crash and could easily be straigthened again. The alu spokes look really good and the wheels just plain work. Look after the bearings and the'll last for years.

The only fault with them is the look of the alu brake surface as black simply looks better (that's subjective, of course). This is solved with the Nite version, but these get quite bad press as the black coating wears off.

The Quattro's are great wheels, but the hubs are much simpler than the Zero's. Mine roll really well, there is no flex, the braking is good they even came in lighter than claimed ( :thumbup: ). The 40mm rim and low spoke count make them look really good on most bikes, too. I actually bought a second set recently, so they are by no means bad.

If I was to do it all over again I would probably go for the Zero Carbon's, which is somehow the culmination of both sets. They are pricier, though, and I have no frst hand experience with these.

Your KTM Revelator is a great bike. Had one last year and it looked awsome with the Quattro's against the the matte black frame :D

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Oh, and bearings for the Quattro's can be found at bike24. They have a wide range of bearings in a variety of quality levels. My experience is, that it's not something you need to do immediately, so it shouldn't put you off the Quattro's if they are your favorites.

Wookski

by Wookski

Quattros are Fulcrum’s poverty wheel- go racing zero carbon. Much better hubs.

crux

by crux

Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon !!

proph

by proph

i find it hard to believe, that the quattros do have so bad hubs/bearings... they cost 800€ after all...

With which Hub from the alloy-range can you compare the hub of the quattro carbon?

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

proph wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:20 am
i find it hard to believe, that the quattros do have so bad hubs/bearings... they cost 800€ after all...

With which Hub from the alloy-range can you compare the hub of the quattro carbon?
I don't find them bad at all, just simpler in comparison to the Zero's (front hub body is carbon, they have ceramic ball bearings in cup/cone which can be easily and minutely adjusted). Cassette body is the same in the Zero and the Quattro FWIW.

For comparison I also have a set of Racing 3's which have held up admirably for years now, and I would say the Quattro Carbon's are equal in feel and quality to these, so by no means bad. At least that is my experience.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My friend has a set of Zero Carbons. They are stiff and light. My only reservation is the aluminum spokes which are less aero than the Quattros’ steel spokes.. I like a bit of aeroness in all of my wheels and I feet the Quattros make a good climbing wheel that is also aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

One thing to be aware of is that the racing zero carbon is getting an update in 2018. The only difference I can find is that the 2018 has AC3 braking surface where as the 2017 has 3diamant. CRC has the 2017 for about $1800 and the 2018 at $3500... I know which one i would get..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com