Which Fulcrum wheel should i buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

$3500? Is that a typo? I recall reading that the 2018 also has a revised carbon layup and a twill carbon weave for the brake tracks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TK421

by TK421

Go for the Fulcrum Racing Zero, it will last you years! It's the same wheel as the Campagnolo Shamal, the only difference is the spokes arrangement.

I've had mine for 5-6 years now and the other day I had the first service for the wheels - £40. Not bad for 5+ years IMO.

Also the wheel is very stiff, if you like climbing and get off the saddle often it will reward you well, it rolls excellent too! I am just over 80kgs and I can't feel any flex at all. It may not be the lightest one on the market, but many people with more knowledge and experience say it's one of the best alu clinchers money can buy...

deano87

by deano87

man, for $300 just get the Zero carbon
if you're contemplating it now, you're gonna regret you didnt do it later
just do it
The Journey is more important than the Destination!

avispa

by avispa

proph wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 pm
I'm looking for a new allround wheelset. I thought about the last few days and now I am still hesitating between the following models:
Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon 799 €
Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 719 €
Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon 1099 €
As you can see, I chose Fulcrum and I think I did not make a mistake. However, I can not really decide here.
My vote goes to the Fulcrum Racing Zero C17, but personally I like the 3G spoke pattern on Campy wheels. I have a set of Shamal Mille C17 and I really love those wheels! Perfect on windy days and are bullet proof; I have been involved in a couple of entanglements in group rides and the have come out in great shape, just little dings. If you plan to keep those wheels for a long time, upgrade them with ceramic bearings and you will have the best wheels money can buy at that price point.

proph

by proph

So the Zero Carbon is out. I will either choose the C17 or Quattro Carbon. I already have the quattro carbon laying in the post office, because I wanted to use the sale price if I chose it. At the moment there is the Quattro Carbon in the netherlands for 799 €, in Germany you do not get it under 950 €. But another set of wheels has been greatly reduced in price this morning: the Ritchey Apex II 38 and its quite interesting. And maybe also has a higher quality hub than the Quattro Carbon. For the C17 speaks mainly the durability. I dont like the looks because of the thin Rim. I have the feeling that with the C17 I would have a wheel, which is really rocksolid and where I would have a lot of fun for a long long time ...

sawyer

by sawyer

I'd take Racing Quattro Carbon over the C17 Zeros

Admittedly I own the former and not the latter, though I've had about a dozen Campag/Fulcrum wheelsets over the past 15 years or so (currently have Zondas, three sets of Boras and Quattro Carbons)

Other posters are right that the Carbon's have a simpler and inferior hub to the C17s and, being carbon, have an inferior braking surface. In other respects however, they are superior, particularly aerodynamics - which will far outweigh any tiny loss from the inferior hub.

My Carbons have about 5,000 km on them and the hubs are smooth and not gritty, even if they don't spin in the stand as well as Boras etc. As others have said, you can replace the bearings. So my advice is go Carbons, ride them for a good stint and then upgrade the bearings.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rlanger

by rlanger

I have the C17 Racing Zeros and will echo the comments of other owners here. These are fantastic wheels; light, stiff, comfortable to ride, and brake well in all conditions. And they really are bombproof.

They are incredible on smooth tarmac, but are also pretty comfortable to ride on rougher roads. If you expect to do a fair amount of riding on poorly surfaced roads, then the Zeros are probably the better choice over the Quattros.

Whatever you decide though, you'll be getting and an outstanding wheel set for your money.

proph

by proph

I got a really good offer from a local store for the C17: 679€ i cant resist since the quattros i received are in bad condition. Box was already opened and taped all over, the rims got scratches on the decals and even on the breaking surface, so i decided to send them back.

sawyer

by sawyer

rlanger wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 am

They are incredible on smooth tarmac, but are also pretty comfortable to ride on rougher roads. If you expect to do a fair amount of riding on poorly surfaced roads, then the Zeros are probably the better choice over the Quattros.
Hi - For riding poorly surfaced (dry) roads the Quattros would be a better choice ... what you'll find is that a carbon rim plus steel spokes gives a more comfortable ride than fat alu spokes on the Zero. Remember that the Quattros are also "C17" width (24.2mm external)

Though tbh both are superb wheelsets ... and the Zero are a better all rounder in that they are more useful in the wet
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

twelve

by twelve

I was watching this thread when I was in the process of buying my Fulcrum Racing Zero C17. Happy I went with them based on:

- alloy braking - for my peace of mind this was important
- picked mine up for $AU999 - in my view this was a bargain - carbon was going to be $500+ more. I dont believe they were worth that compared to the alloy ones.
- They weigh approx 1500g - yes there are lighter wheels around but as an all rounder alloy I feel this is on the money.
- the hub is truly excellent.
- They are stiff - but not to a point I would say they are uncomfortable.

Only downside is any aero benefit is negligible imo.

Positives still outweight the negatives in my view.

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

i'd like to recommend two of them
Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 719 €
Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon 1099 €

carbon version is really light. but it's depend on your riding style. if you ride tough, recommend FRZ C17, otherwise carbon is nice

PrimO

by PrimO

I have the Fucrum Quattro Carbons too, Theyre about 2 years old and the bearings are still smooth and free. Braking in the dry is considerably superior to any alloy wheel I've used in the past (Zondas, Shamals, Quattros, Aksiums and various in-house wheels) and in the wet it is comparable to the best alloy wheels (in my experience) I have set of Stainless-steel/hybrid ceramic bearings ready to be fitted if the factory bearings give trouble. They were €25 in total and I can fit them myself and theyre a little lighter than the standard bearings so will reduce weight too.