can not decide (AX Lightness)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bogologo

by bogologo

Hi Forum!

I have currently Zipp 202 Tubular and have the ability to buy one additional pair of wheels.

I am 56kg light and love climbing (5'000m of elevation on a day is possible) but also do IM70.3.

Now I can not decide if I shall get ultra light wheels like the AX-lightness 25t ultra or the AX 55t ultra which are much more aero.

Does anyone some suggestions or even better wheels in mind which could fit for me?

Thx for you suggestions and help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I'd say you already have a pair of climbing wheels... which were used by PRO climbers... I seem to recall Contador was using them a few years back.

bogologo

by bogologo

I agree but also not. The weight difference is almost 400 Gramms which is a lot.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

half-ironman.. frankly is a long enough distance for proper tri/TT bike.. even something like a older p2/p3 cervelo is good enough... Get the climbing wheels ya want then a proper tri bike for the IM's.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

gravity

by gravity

You cant have the best of both worlds, especially when you put a high importance on weight. Suck it up and pick the one that looks nice on your bike.

Marin

by Marin

If are riding in low yaw (let's say under 5°) conditions, narrow low-profile wheels with not-too-wide tires are very aerodynamic - probably lower overall resistance than a tall wheel with wider tires.

-> Get the light wheels and mount the fastest tires you can find.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Marin wrote:If are riding in low yaw (let's say under 5°) conditions...

Can you choose to ride at a particular yaw angle? :shock:

Marin

by Marin

whosatthewheel wrote:Can you choose to ride at a particular yaw angle? :shock:

Yes, if you aren't riding on the coast, in extreme winds or very slowly, you'll be under 5°.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The new wide Corima 32 tubulars are a nice compromise.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

StradaJon wrote:The new wide Corima 32 tubulars are a nice compromise.
Using Extralite 32mm height and 26mm width as well, 898g. But I wouldn't call it very aero.

I have this feeling you'll have the budget to get a dedicated speed bike for events, so go for the light wheels.
Last edited by Kayrehn on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

To be fair AX tubs build up ok, the clinchers should be avoided though.
Strada Hand Built Wheels

mrlobber

by mrlobber

StradaJon wrote:To be fair AX tubs build up ok, the clinchers should be avoided though.

Delamination issues?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

bogologo

by bogologo

I haven’t yet considered to buy a tri bike. The IM track has 1500m elevation so a heavy tri Bike is not ideal . And for a proper and bit lighter one the spare cash is missing.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

We experienced disc clinchers only. I gave up on them in the end after inconsistencies then later they went direct to consumer.
Strada Hand Built Wheels

sp3000

by sp3000

I chose AX 45 Ultra C for the aero/weight compromise, my mate got the 28 Ultra C. I'm very very happy with the 45's and am glad that is the way I went. They are noticeably quicker over 30kph and are no fuss in cross winds (they are basically modeled on the Zipp 303 shape). Not as stiff as Lightweights but much much more aero and as i said no issue in crosswinds like the LW's! I am not running them tubeless, but as you are going tubular that is not worth mentioning, more just the shape.. The braking has been excellent and quiet. The fact that AX has gone to a direct model is a good thing, distributors and shops are not happy as they put in work to sell the brand but for the end user it's a win. AX said specifically that they just didn't want the price to go crazy and selling direct was the only way to keep the prices where they are. Personally they have been great to deal with and if there are any issues surely better to go direct to them than have to go via a shop..

To the original question, my bike is 5.8kgs with the 45's the 28's would have saved something like 100-130g for me the aero advantage was worth it 100% as they so light to begin with that you just notice the weight between the two rim depths.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com