Anyone on alto wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinfrias

by martinfrias

Hey! any input on alto? thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have Alto CCX40 disc wheels coming in on Tuesday, but obviously will not be able to say much about them until I get a good number of rides in.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Claimed weight for CCX40s, 1360g. Actual weight with tubeless rim tape, 1519g. A little disappointed by that.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinfrias

by martinfrias

You might got the 2017 model, the 2018 model is hookless wider and 200g lighter, and from what i understand they will start shipping the 2018 model in about 2 weeks

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

martinfrias wrote:You might got the 2017 model, the 2018 model is hookless wider and 200g lighter, and from what i understand they will start shipping the 2018 model in about 2 weeks

I got the hookless version. Not going to return them or anything. In the end I'm not that big of a weight weenie and 140ish grams won't make or break my experience with the wheels. It's just that I know ENVE 3.4s would have been close to their 1420g advertised weight and also come with a 5-year warranty. Bobby Sweeting has been easy to deal with in back and forth e-mails, so I hope this is just poor QC from their rim supplier's initial batch.

He did say the weights are "calculated" rather than simply put on a scale, so that's kind of odd.

Front/rear = 669g/850g

sfo423

by sfo423

How convenient for him. I like to do that with my body weight too.

martinfrias wrote:He did say the weights are "calculated" rather than simply put on a scale, so that's kind of odd.

Front/rear = 669g/850g

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Have you had the chance to ride the wheelset? How's the build quality? I'm eyeing this set.

martinfrias

by martinfrias

bump, any updates?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some quick thoughts.

The hubs are the star of the show. Not sure about the large diameter flange, but the axle/bearings roll supremely smooth compared to my White Industries CLDs. The rims...I just don't have very much to say about them. They work, they seem pretty stiff. I wouldn't advise testing against their advertised max pressure rating of 110psi, but I'm running 60/70psi on 25mm tires anyway.

The price is the main mental barrier when considering these. They're more expensive than Mavic's new UST lineup. They almost as expensive as Zipps and ENVEs. I chose the Altos because I thought they were going to be >100 grams lighter than they turned out to be. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just get Zipp 202 NSWs or ENVE SES 3.4s.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I was considering Alto vs Nox Composites, but I think Nox Composite with CK R45 hubs might be a better and cheaper way to go.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I have two teammates with two versions of them, and they seem very happy. I don't recall which version, but they were carbon clinchers.

Flrider

by Flrider

I'd like for somebody to actually measure the Alto rims. The ccx28 is the exact same drawings, shapes, and look as the Hunt CAD 30 and the new Pacenti carbon (look at the bikerumor article). But Alto is claiming it's 28mm, not 30mm. It'd be super easy to measure actual rim depth.

I know at one point Alto bought the Pacenti alloy rims and lied to customers that it was their own rim. I wouldn't put it past them to change the measurements from 30mm to 28mm to make it seem like they are doing their own carbon rims.

They've done stuff like this since they started which is why I would never trust to buy any wheels from them.

sfo423

by sfo423

First post Flrider?

Flrider wrote:I'd like for somebody to actually measure the Alto rims. The ccx28 is the exact same drawings, shapes, and look as the Hunt CAD 30 and the new Pacenti carbon (look at the bikerumor article). But Alto is claiming it's 28mm, not 30mm. It'd be super easy to measure actual rim depth.

I know at one point Alto bought the Pacenti alloy rims and lied to customers that it was their own rim. I wouldn't put it past them to change the measurements from 30mm to 28mm to make it seem like they are doing their own carbon rims.

They've done stuff like this since they started which is why I would never trust to buy any wheels from them.

Flrider

by Flrider

[color=#BFBF00][/color]
sfo423 wrote:First post Flrider?

Yes, first post but I guess you may call me a disgruntled customer.

I was promised a bunch from Alto and they went in throwing a bunch of over the top technical words about layup and composites engineering. Then I found out it was the exact same rim, shape, weight, dimensions as a bunch of other companies. I dug a little more and found out that they were doing the same things with both carbon and alloy.

So, upset customer who just venting a bit because I feel cheated for overpaying for open mold rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Flrider wrote:I'd like for somebody to actually measure the Alto rims. The ccx28 is the exact same drawings, shapes, and look as the Hunt CAD 30 and the new Pacenti carbon (look at the bikerumor article). But Alto is claiming it's 28mm, not 30mm. It'd be super easy to measure actual rim depth.

Since you're making the claims, can you substantiate them rather than have us verify what you said?