Options for aero aluminum clincher wheels around $1000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I went from 22mm box shaped alloy to 58mm deep toroidal rims and the wind has barely increased in impact. I'm more nervous letting go of the handlebars because of the posts on this forum rather than own experience.

/a

bikerdan

by bikerdan

What about the mavic cosmic pro exalith. Claimed around 1650, good shape rim and good braking

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

benjaminm3 wrote:hi all,
I haven't been able to find a thread that covers this specifically, but I'm interested in:
- Aluminum braking surface
- Aero with a modern toroidal profile
- Reasonable-ish weight
- Clincher - these are for daily use and I'm not really prepared to go tubular

From what I've been able to find, these appear to be the options:
1) AL33 - Reasonably light at 1600 grams, with a modern aero profile. $875.
2) FLO cycling - the aluminum + carbon option seems possible - these are slightly heavy if you take the 60mm rim depth option - 1900 grams, but also reasonably priced at $1000.

I excluded the new dura-ace 9100 clincher options as those don't appear to have a toroidal aero profile, and don't seem as wide as the other two offerings.

Are there other options I'm overlooking?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I was unable to find a thread that covered current options.

In just for the Al33 done custom by prowheelbuilder in GA.
I got the ceramic surface for breaking and 24/28 setup with American classic hubs and laser zapim j bends and brass nipples. Weight 1627 with tubeless tape.
after 100miles these are my impressions.
The coating is a waste of money since it wears down the pads quick and after each ride I have this grey dust all over the wheels. I live in Miami which is super flat so imagine.
They roll nice and look even better. I like them better than my Reynolds assault SLG by how they look.
They fit a 23mm (actual 25mm) very nice. I'm using contis 4K s2.
There is moderate wind effect when letting go of the handle bars but surely less than with the Reynolds.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Those Boyd Altamonts looks sweet. What is the external width? What's the benefit of the ceramic coated ones, better braking?

Multebear

by Multebear

Thenuge wrote:Those Boyd Altamonts looks sweet. What is the external width? What's the benefit of the ceramic coated ones, better braking?

I'm only familiar with Mavics ceramic coating. The benefit with the Mavics are the brake track stays black for a long time before turning grey/silver. So pure looks. Don't know if it has other benefits. But they may add some grams to the weight.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Yea those dimensions look great. Not a bad weight and if you wanna give up some aeroness you can get the altamont lites and save some grams.

bilwit

by bilwit

Multebear wrote:
Thenuge wrote:Those Boyd Altamonts looks sweet. What is the external width? What's the benefit of the ceramic coated ones, better braking?

I'm only familiar with Mavics ceramic coating. The benefit with the Mavics are the brake track stays black for a long time before turning grey/silver. So pure looks. Don't know if it has other benefits. But they may add some grams to the weight.

24mm across.. weird. The website says they "were specifically designed around a 25mm tire" but looks to me like 23mm would fit better..

Thenuge

by Thenuge

bilwit wrote:
Multebear wrote:

24mm across.. weird. The website says they "were specifically designed around a 25mm tire" but looks to me like 23mm would fit better..

Yea I was planning on 23's anyway since they aren't really 23's. Or 24 turbo cottons.

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

bilwit wrote:
Multebear wrote:

With an internal of almost 20mm etrto spec says at minimum a 28mm tire for size. We all know etrto is somewhat outdated for tire size and 25mm is ideal for this size. 23mm works for better aerodynamics (especially in crossword situations), but ideally a 25mm tire or larger would be good for the Altamont rims.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

The Al33 with the ceramic coating is not good. My Reynolds brake better and pads last years!!!
The pads on the AL33 are almost gone with 100miles!!! And the braking is not that big of a deal.
Is their ceramic better? I read some reviews about it and they were not that good.
Honestly I don't think the whole ceramic coating thing is founded.
My old aluminum clinchers brake better than these with the ceramic coating.
I forgot to mention that the cornering with these is superb. My only beef is the brake pad wearing rate.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

The Al33 with the ceramic coating is not good. My Reynolds brake better and pads last years!!!
The pads on the AL33 are almost gone with 100miles!!! And the braking is not that big of a deal.
Is their ceramic better? I read some reviews about it and they were not that good.
I forgot to mention that the cornering with these is superb. My only beef is the brake pad wearing rate.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Don't know of it's accuracy but the HED Jet 5 is a carbon aero wheel with alloy brake tracks and it's 1680gr.

/a

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

charlieboy52000 wrote:The Al33 with the ceramic coating is not good. My Reynolds brake better and pads last years!!!

What brake pads are you using? SwissStop BXPs have been broadly found to work really well, and some people have found that Campagnolo Red pads work as well. Initial pad wear is high with all of these rims (Mavic, Campy/Fulcrum, DT, etc) but calms down as the pads and rims wear together, but calms down after a bit of use. If you carefully bed the pads in as you would do on a set of disc brakes, the pad wear is less even from the beginning.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'd look into Rolf wheels
one example that might work is ROLF PRIMA VIGOR

https://www.athleteslounge.com/product/ ... 7TEALw_wcB
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

NovemberDave wrote:
charlieboy52000 wrote:The Al33 with the ceramic coating is not good. My Reynolds brake better and pads last years!!!

What brake pads are you using? SwissStop BXPs have been broadly found to work really well, and some people have found that Campagnolo Red pads work as well. Initial pad wear is high with all of these rims (Mavic, Campy/Fulcrum, DT, etc) but calms down as the pads and rims wear together, but calms down after a bit of use. If you carefully bed the pads in as you would do on a set of disc brakes, the pad wear is less even from the beginning.

I'm using the supplied pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com