Best wheels for the rain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Multebear wrote:
TonyM wrote:THANKS for all feedback! :thumbup: Really helpful! :thumbup:

I will go for DT Swiss 240 or Chris King R45 hubs. Thanks.

Is there any other good quality carbon wheelset with DT Swiss 240 or CK45 hubs than Enve or DT Swiss?

One good and one bad experience with Chris King as rainy day hubs? How did they get into the mix?

And why didn't White Industries?

I would actually prefer to have DT Swiss on my rain bike (BMC). Just a personal preference.

TonyM

by TonyM

Nefarious86 wrote:Still not sure why you dont just go hand built wheels..

That would be another option indeed. I don't know any in Canada/ BC however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

wheel builder will ship anywhere in the world. November bicycles have there disc brake carbon rims, I have mine other builders do there own. So it should be pretty easy to get someone do the build.

L3X

by L3X

TonyM wrote:
Multebear wrote:

Is there any other good quality carbon wheelset with DT Swiss 240 or CK45 hubs than Enve or DT Swiss?

One good and one bad experience with Chris King as rainy day hubs? How did they get into the mix?

I would actually prefer to have DT Swiss on my rain bike (BMC). Just a personal preference.

Honestly I think CK hubs are pretty overrated so I would avoid those... DT240 would be my choice here.

by 11.4

Multebear wrote:

I had already brought up White Industries as a viable equivalent to CK. Check the post.

As for CK's, they tend to spur strong feelings one way or the other -- complaints about ratchet noise in older designs, cost, arguments about mechanical complexity, the need to use light lubricants, and so on. In the Pacific Northwest, though, they are very popular and I've seen dozens of riders with huge mileage on them. Frankly, barring a hub that someone messed up in servicing, I've never seen one completely fail. Even if they aren't serviced and they get so trashed that the bearings are abraded, they still function reliably. They got their start as MTB hubs and were thrashed to death in Northwest mud, sand, and water. They are as bulletproof as a hub can get. If you service them and don't replace the seals properly, you can mess them up quickly, but it's not rocket science.

TonyM

by TonyM

I have found a wheel builder here where I live now.
http://www.kissingcrowscyclery.com/wheelbuilding/

Which manufacturers would you recommend for high quality (in terms of durability as it is meant for the rain bike) carbon rims or alloy rims in 30-50mm (braking is no issue as it is a disc brake wheelset)?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Either LB or Nextie.

Personally would go with Hope hubs and brass nipples for super simple servicing.
Using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The thing about hubs is even DT Swiss are too much money. I like DT disc brake hubs but cheaper hubs can be just as good at being hubs.

A hub is a simple thing easy to get wrong but easy in some ways to get right.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TonyM wrote:I have found a wheel builder here where I live now.
http://www.kissingcrowscyclery.com/wheelbuilding/

Which manufacturers would you recommend for high quality (in terms of durability as it is meant for the rain bike) carbon rims or alloy rims in 30-50mm (braking is no issue as it is a disc brake wheelset)?

I see pretty Boyd 40mm wheels on the homepage. I would have them build their 28mm wheels 28h/28h (don't under build your disc wheels with less spokes even if you weigh 60kg) with brass nipples, CX-Ray spokes and WI T11 hubs. More affordable option would be their 30mm Boyd Altamont aluminum rim. Weights and specs listed here http://www.boydcycling.com/product-cate ... disc-brake
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

My choice would be King hubs and HED Belgium Plus rims laced with Sapim CX-Ray spokes, brass nipples for the corrosion factor. I live just south of you in White Rock, so I ride the same weather for the most part. The deeper the rim, the more water it holds....save the ENVE stuff for the sunny days. Something like the HED is perfect at 24mm deep. DT also have some nice rim options and DT hubs are fine as well. Shimano hubs are great, easy to service the loose ball bearings, but I'm not too familiar with their disc brake offerings.

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for all recommendations! :thumbup:

I will look with the wheel builder at the Boyd and HED rims. As my rain bike is "Swiss" bike I will go for the DT Swiss 240 and the DT Swiss aerolite spokes.
Let's see what the wheel builder says now....

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Campagnolo AC3 treatment on new Boras give me the best wet weather braking I’ve ever experienced on carbon by a long shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:28 pm
Campagnolo AC3 treatment on new Boras give me the best wet weather braking I’ve ever experienced on carbon by a long shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is interesting to hear - really better than "old" Boras?

The OP is after disc brakes however. For the money I would give Hunt disc wheels a try, if they ship to Canada
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

moyboy

by moyboy

Go Dt Swiss 240 hubs, much easier to maintain than CK hubs.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

240 hubs are still too much money sure they work well but I have this set on my disc brake commutor. It gets ridden in all kinds of shit weather mostly poor weather all year round, as on nice days I ride to work on a faster bike.

24F/24R Velocity aileron rim, Sapim CX-rays and Novatec D711/D712 hubs. The hubs had there mid range bearings in and they managed a bit over 10,000 miles before they needed to be changed. That did not cost me too much. That is the only maintenance they have needed. Given the wheels cost in total less than a set of 240 hubs that not too bad. Also they have alloy nipples and corrosion is not an issue. I use 10,000's alloy nips a year and corrosion is a non issue. Nipple failure is a non issue. Brass nipples are cheaper though. Brass nipples are better for heavier riders or to reduce cost. Using them because they dont corrode is missing the point. Wheels should not be going out of true to begin with and if a good corrison inhibitor is used on the thread the glavanic corosion is kept at bay. Brass nipples are often diffuclt to undo asa good while anyway and that is not often mentioned. If I was building them again I would use a set of Miche SWR hubs now as these are even more reliable than the novatec. The bitex B106/B106R are another good choice.
If I dent the rims they will be replaced with Kinlin XR31RTS as these are cheaper and actually a better rim due to the asymmetric design.

As I was explaing to one customer this morning. I could sell you the more exensive rims but think go with the cheaper just as good parts and you can take your wife out for dinner. you will as a result almost earn brownie points not quite though as you still bought wheels but its alot better than the expensive set and no dinner for the other half.

The above suggestions are all examples of thinking that spending more gets your more. it does not. Spending more on the wheels for the OP needs just means spending more. Now retailers dont mind those who want to spend more I certainly don't but customers who do go for the pricey bits are better of knowing what they are getting extra for there money. there is no magic. Some things are worse spending more on though - the wife in my case and a SON dynamo hub over a shutter precision.

Wat is a WI T17 hub. There is the CLD and the XMR hubs for disc brake. Nice but I'd have the 240's over the WI hubs. The bearings will last longer but the down side the DS rear bearing needs a ratchet ring tool to access and sometime it wont budge then what do you do.

One of the rims I would suggest if the kinlins dont appeal is the mavic Open Pro UST rims or the velocity ailerons. Pacenti Forza DB are also good. lace these to miche, bitex, Hope or more pricey hubs if you must but you can spend more than you need if your not carefull.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com