Boyd wheels - who has ridden them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Anyone have feedback on Boyd wheels? Specifically the 44's.
Get busy living, or get busy dying

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I rode a set for a couple of years. Great wheels. Had to get them re-tensioned after 12 months. I can't think of a single reason not to buy them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

arnt they just rebranded chinese wheels with bitex hubs?

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

waltthizzney wrote:arnt they just rebranded chinese wheels with bitex hubs?

As in open mold? Do you have more info in this to show?

mag

by mag

They're Chinese-made but AFAIK they're all custom made for Boyd.
I've got 44 clinchers with the White Industries T11 hubs and they're fine. They could be a little lighter though (I'm thinking about replacing those hubs with the Carbon-Ti SPs which should save about 120g), but on the other hand they're pretty solid. I bought them primarily due to their increased internal width (19mm) as well as them being tubeless ready (at the time of my purchase there weren't many such decent quality rims).

EDIT: Here's a little insight into their production (not much though): https://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/boyd-cy ... er-review/

ergott

by ergott

I have 44 tubulars. Great wheels that do what they're supposed to do.

They are not open mold, I don't know why people are so quick to lump all rims together like that with no actual knowledge. Hubs are definitely no Bitex either.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

they're fine, but I feel like if you go for something like that you would be better off going with something at a low price like the Bare Composites about to come out https://barecomposites.com/
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

mag wrote:They're Chinese-made but AFAIK they're all custom made for Boyd.
I've got 44 clinchers with the White Industries T11 hubs and they're fine. They could be a little lighter though (I'm thinking about replacing those hubs with the Carbon-Ti SPs which should save about 120g), but on the other hand they're pretty solid. I bought them primarily due to their increased internal width (19mm) as well as them being tubeless ready (at the time of my purchase there weren't many such decent quality rims).

EDIT: Here's a little insight into their production (not much though): https://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/boyd-cy ... er-review/

I work closely with Chinese factories in my "day job", and have no issue with this. There's good and bad, but that is true with factories anywhere in the world.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Bostonbull wrote:
mag wrote:They're Chinese-made but AFAIK they're all custom made for Boyd.

I work closely with Chinese factories in my "day job", and have no issue with this. There's good and bad, but that is true with factories anywhere in the world.

There's no such thing as good and bad but there's such thing as standard QA signed off by supervisor on duty and poor QA or non-existent (e.g. typical Chinese factory).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Boyd designs their own rims and hubs. They own their own moulds. The rims are manufactured to Boyd's spec in China or Taiwan (and that's a good thing).
They're doing very good things; probably punching above their weight as a small company. They're also very hands on if you need support.
I personally had a set of 44s, which I sold only because I can't tolerate giant logos. Nice wheels.

spookyload

by spookyload

All that being said, you can pick up a pair of Campy Bora One 50mm clinchers for the same price from overseas vendors. I have two sets of Bora's I purchased from Starbike, and paid less than Boyd. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have campy than made in China, designed and marketed in the US.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

rossjm11 wrote:they're fine, but I feel like if you go for something like that you would be better off going with something at a low price like the Bare Composites about to come out https://barecomposites.com/

Interesting wheels, thanks for sharing. Website leaves a little to be desired.

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

spookyload wrote:All that being said, you can pick up a pair of Campy Bora One 50mm clinchers for the same price from overseas vendors. I have two sets of Bora's I purchased from Starbike, and paid less than Boyd. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have campy than made in China, designed and marketed in the US.

I'm OK with made in China. I do a lot if business there and have no qualms with high end goods made there.

If I wanted campy or Shimano name brand stuff I would have put it on my list.

Anyone have reviews, positive or negative, related directly to Boyd wheels?!

bilwit

by bilwit

spookyload wrote:All that being said, you can pick up a pair of Campy Bora One 50mm clinchers for the same price from overseas vendors. I have two sets of Bora's I purchased from Starbike, and paid less than Boyd. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have campy than made in China, designed and marketed in the US.

If the price is right, sure, but for the most part you're only going to find Boras at $2k at least. Boyds are pushing ~$1600 so for me, that's probably a bit more than I would want to spend on this sort of mid-tier wheel. FLO is the same as Boyd in that they own and design their own molds and have them made in Taiwan or China but they're ~$1150 which is about the same as as you would spend on essentially re-branded FarSports wheels (TokyoWheel, Light-Bicycle, FSE, etc) :lol:

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Lookryder wrote:
rossjm11 wrote:they're fine, but I feel like if you go for something like that you would be better off going with something at a low price like the Bare Composites about to come out https://barecomposites.com/

Interesting wheels, thanks for sharing. Website leaves a little to be desired.

Their instagram seems to be there marketing point. I know some of the guys who are building them, and they seem nice.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com