Tubeless with non-tubeless tires? Anyone tried it? How did it go?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hi fellow WW's

I recently changed rims from kinlin xr200's to modern 58mm carbon tubeless ready chinese rims.

I continue to use my favorite tires (Chaoyang h486) because they are light and puncture resistant (and affordable).

One thing I noticed on my new rim is that these same old tires are very easy to get seated perfectly. When inflating I hear many loud snaps which at first scared the shit out of me. It didnt happen with the kinlin rims.

Later I found that the tire is seated perfectly straight, better than I could ever get it to seat on the kinlin xr200s, even after a few deflates and reinflates.

Now these tires are not tubeless ready. I am wondering however if I could give them a try anyway since I have them. Try running them tubeless that is.

Do you think it is a futile attempt or could I be on to something? I would obviously be running sealant. Which kind I have no clue.

Do you have any experience trying this? Got any tips?

Thank you for reading and for any comment...
/a

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

The bead will eventually stretch and leave you at high risk of having the tire blow off and the consequences that follow. At road pressure, I would absolutely never advocate using a non-tubeless tire without a tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

You are running way too high pressures with a road tire. It is not like mountain that the max you go is 35psi for the road. It will leak like crazy and it will be dangerous if it seats and then blows up. I don't think tubeless technology has quite caught up in the road segment. It is not as widely spread as in mountain bike and there are not as many options. In mountain bike is the norm due to the heavy abuse tires suffer and the pinch flats. Road tires don't suffer as much. Their tubes are not as heavy. I will stir away from tubeless for road for now.
My friends that did it went back to tubes. Problem is if you get a flat you will have to put a tube of it doesn't seal. Based on your weight and size of the puncture the leak can set you down to 60 psi. You lose a lot of air due to the high pressure a road tire operates at. That low tire pressure can and will damage the tire sidewalk due to tire compression. I saw it happen many times. Also when the tire seals and you pump it back up the high pressure blows the seal on the new hole. Saw it happen every time with the CO2 cartridge.
Out of context. Heavy duty trucks and 18wheelers run those high pressures on their tires. 100-120 psi. They have a dedicated pump to keep pumping air into the tire to keep going until they can patch it. We don't have that option.
I ride down in miami x6 week with a lot of people and still tubes are the norm for reliability and ease of changes when you get a flat.
Remember you have to remove the valve when putting a tube. Extra time consumed. It takes 5-7 min to change a tube.
This is my experience and what I have seen on the road. If we can install a 28 and pump it to like 60-80psi tubeless might be practical. Problem is most bikes won't accommodate these widths.
I'm a mountain biker too and the first thing I did with all my bikes(3 mountain bikes) was convert them to tubeless. I have run trail circuits at 12-15 psi. I will admit hard roots would compress enough to feel the rim but those tires are solid.
This is Just my experience in the road and mountain sport. others might have a more positive advice. I'm waiting for a good tubeless tech for road. Like a super fast sealing, high pressure sealant.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

I failed to carefully digest the marketing literature and ended up trying this with a brand new set of Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers and a wheelset with carbon tubeless disc brake rims. Setup for the first wheel was straight forward but despite some nice pops while inflating, the end result was sealant everywhere after part of the side wall blew while I was working on the next wheel. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

As already stated, DO NOT DO THIS WITH ROAD TIRES. Mtb is fine and I do it all the time. The bead is much more criticial on the road. Besides, the choice and price for road tubeless is narrowing with normal clinchers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

buy proper tubeless tyres. I use mine all the time. There are very good ones out there. the best are made by IRC and I have not found a tubed clincher that compares or another tubeless tyres for grip longevity and all round goodness.

quick sealing is possible with the right sealant, effetto mariposa is what I use. After my race last week I lent my rear wheel to a woman who punctured in the car park. she raced she did manage to puncture the tyre but it sealed with almost no loss of air. It hold fine at 90 psi. Raced again today on it. this is what a good tubeless experience is like. Given I commute daily on tubeless and race/long distance TT's like 24hr and 12hr on them all I have is a good experiences and the roads here are not smooth or clean. The area is very flinty. however if you try road non tubeless tyres tubeless you will have a rotten experience.

So I dont agree. tubeless tyres have caught up and overtaken

alcatraz

by alcatraz

ms6073 wrote:I failed to carefully digest the marketing literature and ended up trying this with a brand new set of Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers and a wheelset with carbon tubeless disc brake rims. Setup for the first wheel was straight forward but despite some nice pops while inflating, the end result was sealant everywhere after part of the side wall blew while I was working on the next wheel. :oops:

Were these vittoria tires tubeless ready TLR's?

It sounds like people are not only advising against trying it on non-tubeless tires but against running tubeless alltogether. Am I understanding it correctly?

/a

ms6073

by ms6073

alcatraz wrote:Were these Vittoria tires tubeless ready TLR's?

No, the Vittoria tires were not tubeless ready, hence the reason the tire bead blew off the tubeless rim.

alcatraz wrote:It sounds like people are not only advising against trying it on non-tubeless tires but against running tubeless altogether.

Not at all. I am currently running Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless tires on the same tubeless wheelset with absolutely no issues.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kulivontot

by kulivontot

You're going to die

alcatraz

by alcatraz

kulivontot wrote:You're going to die

I'm trying to get information before attempting anything.

Do you have an experience you could mention? I'd like to hear it...

/a

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Yeah, they pop off the rim like a gunshot.

Orlok

by Orlok

I tried too several times with Rubino Pro foldable tires and Schwalbe Durano not-foldable tires on non-tubeless rims with tubeles stape, but even with a aircompressor I couldn't blow them up to snap in to the rim. So I believe it's not possible to use tubeless with non-tubeless tires.!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

ergott

by ergott

If you haven't heard from enough people I'll add the same. DO NOT use a standard clincher tire in a tubeless setup. Tubeless tires have a different bead material that will not stretch. It is dangerous to try riding a standard clincher without a tube. Please don't do it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

alcatraz wrote:
kulivontot wrote:You're going to die

I'm trying to get information before attempting anything.

Do you have an experience you could mention? I'd like to hear it...

/a

Sounds like a visit to the undertaker is in order to even TRY this 'speriment. Yes I think the advice rationally given is spot on... I will relate my experience.

Was looking for something 'to do' one afternoon.. had a WIRE bead Ultra ll on the rack... DID tell myself ONLY a ride around our neighborhood--->flat w no traffic and numerous crack seals in said road. And that was the reason for the trial.. to see if a difference could be determined sans tube. LSS.. I couldn't get the valve hole to seal on the Kinlin 200.. the bead sealed decent using only the green slim *hit from big box store (stuff is junk.. what I had on hand). But say I did get a valve seal... I knew NO riding was getting done outside my comfort zone/local flat neighborhood.

Again..WIRE bead tire. Fact obviously remains.. even using such... how could a rider justify the risk say running up a 1/3 mi hill on one of my routes on state highway w motorist's whizzing by?
Not me.. I like to try things yet compromising safety aint in that scenario.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

So the success rate is basically 0%. I didn't expect that...

No need to act all shocked though. I think it lowers the credibility. Objective experiments are more convincing don't you think?

/a