ENVE 2.2 tubular rim - spoke/hub recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm researching lightweight tubular climber wheelsets and obviously the enve 2.2 rim is on my radar. Although it seems that the builds from ENVE itself suffer serious issues with brake rub and stiffness.

I'm fairly light (132 lbs / 60kg), but I'd also use these wheels as training / everyday wheels. I'd pair them with carbon ti hubs.

What kind of spokes do you recommend to build a strong / stiff wheel with these rims&hubs? I think enve uses cx-rays or dt aerolites, so I think it would be safer to use something stronger.

sawyer

by sawyer

If at 60kg you can't build a wheel stiff enough with CX-Rays or DT Aerolite then something is badly wrong, and it's worth stepping back and asking whether there isn't a better "factory" built option

But I'd have thought that those spokes plus some Extralite / Hope / Chris King / White / Alchemy hubs should be fine as long as you have a good builder?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

If you want stiffer wheel, increase number of spokes. That's the safest way. And pardon me, but what is stronger than cx rays or aerolites if you still want bladed spokes? Especially If you're 60 kg, then everything must be stiff.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

sawyer wrote:If at 60kg you can't build a wheel stiff enough with CX-Rays or DT Aerolite then something is badly wrong, and it's worth stepping back and asking whether there isn't a better "factory" built option

But I'd have thought that those spokes plus some Extralite / Hope / Chris King / White / Alchemy hubs should be fine as long as you have a good builder?

Hmm. Still, enve's website is filled with disappointing reviews. Both this forum and other sites have threads about the lack of stiffness and brake rub. Enve only makes this rim with 20/24 holes so no way to add spokes, so I thought stronger spokes would make a stiffer wheel. So you suggest that they mess up the wheel during building? Or heavy riders expect crazy stiffness from an extra light rim?

ergott

by ergott

I built up FSE 25mm tubulars to Wheels Mfg hubs (formerly Alchemy) and used CX-Ray spokes (DT Aero Comps for right, rear). They are 1022g and very stiff.

sawyer

by sawyer

nemeseri wrote:
sawyer wrote:If at 60kg you can't build a wheel stiff enough with CX-Rays or DT Aerolite then something is badly wrong, and it's worth stepping back and asking whether there isn't a better "factory" built option

Hmm. Still, enve's website is filled with disappointing reviews. Both this forum and other sites have threads about the lack of stiffness and brake rub. Enve only makes this rim with 20/24 holes so no way to add spokes, so I thought stronger spokes would make a stiffer wheel. So you suggest that they mess up the wheel during building? Or heavy riders expect crazy stiffness from an extra light rim?

Fundamentally, there is something "wrong" or at least not as good as it could be if you can't get a reasonably stiff, solid wheel with a standard hub and 20/24 spokes right? Either the rim or builder is 5hite, or a bit of both.

Compare with Bora 35s which are 35mm deep, 18/21 and <1200g, and as tough as old boots, and you get the point
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

ergott wrote:I built up FSE 25mm tubulars to Wheels Mfg hubs (formerly Alchemy) and used CX-Ray spokes (DT Aero Comps for right, rear). They are 1022g and very stiff.

And I'm patiently waiting for you to get bored with those wheels :mrgreen:

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The 2.2 clincher gives trouble but the 2.2 tub is fine. Use a hub with good flange placement for respectable spoke tension and use a thicker gauge bladed spoke in the rear both sides or DS only.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

StradaJon wrote:The 2.2 clincher gives trouble but the 2.2 tub is fine. Use a hub with good flange placement for respectable spoke tension and use a thicker gauge bladed spoke in the rear both sides or DS only.

would you care to recommend a thicker spoke for the rear instead of cx-ray? Thanks!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

ergott wrote:I built up FSE 25mm tubulars to Wheels Mfg hubs (formerly Alchemy) and used CX-Ray spokes (DT Aero Comps for right, rear). They are 1022g and very stiff.
I have many wants for this wheelset...
Using Tapatalk

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Yes, Sapim CX Sprint.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

ergott

by ergott

StradaJon wrote:Yes, Sapim CX Sprint.

and DT Aero Comp

Multebear

by Multebear

nemeseri wrote:
Although it seems that the builds from ENVE itself suffer serious issues with brake rub and stiffness.

Where did you get this information? And does the information state, that this is the case with light riders as well?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The FSE website only appears to have complete wheel sets for sale rather than rims?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

StradaJon wrote:Yes, Sapim CX Sprint.

ergott wrote:and DT Aero Comp

Thank you guys!

Multebear wrote:Where did you get this information? And does the information state, that this is the case with light riders as well?

Well on enve's own website there are reviews mentioning it: http://enve.com/products/ses-2-2/

The reviews on velonews / cyclingweekly also note the stiffness issues:
http://www.velonews.com/2016/05/bikes-a ... els_402932
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wh ... r-wheelset

On the weight weenies forum there are numerous threads / post about the issue, but I won't link all of them:
viewtopic.php?t=138774

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com