Durability/stiffness of Powertap G3 build - 24H vs. 28H

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

I'm thinking about building up a Powertap G3 rear wheel laced to some nice aluminum rims like a HED Belgium or Aforce. For durability and possibly stiffness reasons, my initial thought was 28H laced 2X both sides. Problem is, I would have to buy a new Powertap hub, whereas I already own a 24H Powertap G3. Would there be a significant durability/stiffness increase going from 24H to 28H, or are there ways that I could have the 24H wheel built (thicker spokes on the DS, for example) that would compensate somewhat?

Thanks.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

jwj410

by jwj410

Maybe you can build the 24h with 3X lacing both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

Forgot to add that I weigh about 74kg.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You can't lace 24h on a 3x arrangement (or at least, from what I've read online, you shouldn't). 24h should be plenty stiff, especially if laced in a 2x arrangement, both DS and NDS. I have a set of 24h CX wheels, and they're solid after 3 seasons of CX training (and I weight about 100kg).

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

For stiffness, durability and longevity, 28 spokes CX-Ray hands down. I even recommend 28 spokes for lighter riders.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Hed Belgium plus is a stiff rim. That would help somewhat as a stiff rim is distribute the stresses over more spokes as compared to a less stiff rim. And in theory a stiffer rim will allow a higher spoke tension. Perhaps a heavier spoke along with higher spoke tension will help somewhat. With that being said 28 spokes will likely give you less troubles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

The geometry of the PowerTap hub isn't the best, from what I recall the NDS tension is 44% of the DS. Using an asymmetric rim will help to even this a little and maybe using thinner spokes on the NDS will help too (I used Sapim Race on DS and D-Light on NDS).

Whether 24h is enough is difficult to say for me; The PowerTap wheel set I built has 28h (got a used PT cheaply) but I also have a 24h disc wheel set. Both use Kinlin XR31 (asymmetric) rims and are fine after 5000+km. But I should say I weigh 60kg, am a spinner not a masher and I don't do sprints. So wheels have it easy with me :-)