Does the amateur feel the difference with BORA ONE 50 clincher vs tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Redfist75

by Redfist75

I plan to buy BORA ONE 50, Is there big difference with BORA ONE 50 clincher vs tubular?

SNUGSHIP

by SNUGSHIP

I still prefer tubular but clincher are very close now

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

1485g v 1265g

Convenience v lightweight

Choose what's more important to you I guess.

sawyer

by sawyer

Speed? No.

Handling and feel yes - tubulars are better

Convenience - clinchers
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Beaver

by Beaver

With tubulars I either had a harsh ride or a squishy feel with less pressure. Never found the "sweet spot". Ended up with wide clincher rims. 23mm tires on 17 to 19C and 25mm on 19 to 21C is fine. The tire gets much "stiffer", you can reduce pressure a lot without increasing rolling resistance or a squishy feel.

Geoff

by Geoff

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

There is no question that even the most casual observer has enough neurons to discern the difference between a tubular and a clincher. A good tubular has a road feel that a clincher just cannot match due to the inherent differences in their construction (necessitated by the differences in their respective method of attachment to the rim). Before you ask, I would say the same thing about tubeless, so it is more than the difference in the tubes.

If you live in an area with a lot of thorns, a tubular wheelset might not be the best choice (so I'm told, anyway). If you live in an area with no such issues, but lots of frost-heaved roads (i.e., pinch-flats causing just about every tire issue) tubulars are almost perfect. You'll wear them through to the chords...

KarlC

by KarlC

Geoff wrote:If you live in an area with a lot of thorns, a tubular wheelset might not be the best choice (so I'm told, anyway). If you live in an area with no such issues, but lots of frost-heaved roads (i.e., pinch-flats causing just about every tire issue) tubulars are almost perfect. You'll wear them through to the chords...

Funny that you bring this up, on a recent ride with a buddy we hit a patch of thorns in the road. He got 1 thorn in his clincher and got a flat, while he was changing his tube I saw that I got 3 thorns in my tubular but my sealer fixed them so I did not lose any air and had no issues.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

3Pio

by 3Pio

KarlC wrote:
Geoff wrote:If you live in an area with a lot of thorns, a tubular wheelset might not be the best choice (so I'm told, anyway). If you live in an area with no such issues, but lots of frost-heaved roads (i.e., pinch-flats causing just about every tire issue) tubulars are almost perfect. You'll wear them through to the chords...

Funny that you bring this up, on a recent ride with a buddy we hit a patch of thorns in the road. He got 1 thorn in his clincher and got a flat, while he was changing his tube I saw that I got 3 thorns in my tubular but my sealer fixed them so I did not lose any air and had no issues.

Same experience. Here roads not so good, and after 1000 km of riding tubulars, i got a flat. Tufo Extreme added do the job, so no problems after that.

I have to mention that i had the same worries :), and i even oredred Tufo Spare Tub.

So i will say if u go for Bora, go for Tubs

kgt

by kgt

Neither the amateur nor the professional can feel the difference IMHO.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

KarlC wrote:Funny that you bring this up, on a recent ride with a buddy we hit a patch of thorns in the road. He got 1 thorn in his clincher and got a flat, while he was changing his tube I saw that I got 3 thorns in my tubular but my sealer fixed them so I did not lose any air and had no issues.

Similar anecdote for me recently. Out with a buddy; I was riding 25mm Pave tubulars (no sealant yet) and he was riding 4000s clinchers. We rode through a bunch of glass and he flatted immediately... I helped him change his tube :)

TonyM

by TonyM

No weight difference however if you take the tubular Bora and then add some sealant and also have a spare tubular tire instead of a spare tube....the professionals have neither spare tubular nor sealant...just a service car...LOL...

Much of the difference in "feeling" is due to the tire itself (tubular are usually made out of cotton) and to the tube (Tubulars usually use latex tubes).
So take some good tire like the Specialized Turbo Cotton, Vittoria Open Corsa, Veloflex Corsa and some good latex tube and then the feeling of your tires will be better.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

NO the amateur does not
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

dj97223

by dj97223

What he should be able to feel if he chooses tubular s the satisfaction of spending some relaxing time gluing some tubulars and of knowing that he's not riding what everyone else is riding (NTTAWWT). :beerchug:

Oh, and if he flats, he is less likely to end up on the ground.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

sawyer

by sawyer

TonyM wrote:No weight difference however if you take the tubular Bora and then add some sealant and also have a spare tubular tire instead of a spare tube....the professionals have neither spare tubular nor sealant...just a service car...LOL...

Much of the difference in "feeling" is due to the tire itself (tubular are usually made out of cotton) and to the tube (Tubulars usually use latex tubes).
So take some good tire like the Specialized Turbo Cotton, Vittoria Open Corsa, Veloflex Corsa and some good latex tube and then the feeling of your tires will be better.

That type of feeling - the feeling of suppleness - is pretty much irrelevant as between tubulars and clinchers. It's a function of construction, especially threadcount and inner tube type

What is different is the handling due to the roundness of tubulars. That is noticeable to anyone who can corner with aplomb
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

I still remember getting my first tubular set when I was 15 (Ambrosio Synthesis Durex built on Record 36s). That was cathartic. I would never go back to another technology for almost 25 years (and then only to test the progress of the other technologies).

The great thing about tubulars is that you can run 'em soft. Really soft. That makes them comfortable and fast. Depending on your local conditions, they are also very durable.

I don't like being beat-up by my bike I don't like flats. I don't like slow wheels. That is why I prefer tubulars. I completely understand that lots of guys live in areas where tubulars are not ideal. If you have lots of thorns or road glass, tubulars are probably not for you. If you are one of those guys, I can recommend tubeless, which I have been testing and can say is quite ok.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com