Sub 1000€, 100% German made 1370g Carbon Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

From experience, I make bottom brackets and sell them predominantly in the UK directly. Yet far eastern manufacturers with many middle men and distributors can sell a bottom bracket for the same price or better than mine. Admittedly theirs are probably not designed by an Aerospace Engineer or machined on a machine that formerly machined Eurofighter parts but still the average cyclist is not going to care.

I don't know how a wheel company can sell wheels so cheaply considering German labour rates for machinists are amongst the highest in Europe.

However, I do wish them the best of luck.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You're getting it wrong, the rims aren't made by hand.

You need to calculate with the hourly wage of a braiding robot.

hambini

by hambini

Marin wrote:You're getting it wrong, the rims aren't made by hand.

You need to calculate with the hourly wage of a braiding robot.

With reference to the hourly rate for machining, I was referring to the hubs.

I have a lot of experience with carbon fibre but it has always been by hand, I'd love to see how these robots weave the material.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Just sent Bike Component a message asking when is the Campy compatible version available, wheelset looks promising and the price is just right.

Cheers

romalor

by romalor

they are nice but not tubeless ready big fail ...
I asked for the rim weight but no informations , the hubs are light tough
Inside width: 17,5 mm a bite conservative
outside width: 24 mm

I think Munich Composites are some of the earliest believers in filament wind rims with Velocite and theirs VENN rims

ferrarista

by ferrarista

PrimO wrote:I bought Fulcrum Quattro carbons last September for slightly more than the BC wheels but if they had been available back then I would definitely have plumped for them over the fulcrums. I love the minimalistic graphics and that they're slightly deeper than the Quattros (by 5mm) and lighter by 120g which is a considerable weight saving!

Tempted now to sell the fulcrums and give these wheels a go...damn!

Edit: Just looked at the shipping costs and when the tax is adjusted and you add shipping to Ireland, the cost jumps to €959 making them €30 more than what I paid for the Quattros. Think i'll just keep the quattros as the Fletch wheels require rim tape (whereas the quattros don't) and so that adds on another 20-40g depending on what tape is used and so the differences between the two become much smaller and less attractive.

Your carbon Quattro are 1490gr.? I've seen weights range from 1420 to 1455gr. here on weightweenies.
Either way if you put nylon lightweight stick on rim tape it won't add 20-40 grams. On my Deda wheels with 2 layers on each wheel is 12gr. total.
██

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

romalor wrote:I think Munich Composites are some of the earliest believers in filament wind rims with Velocite and theirs VENN rims

Just as @erik$ explained, those rims are not made using filament winding. They are braided. Braiding is a quite different process.
hambini wrote:I have a lot of experience with carbon fibre but it has always been by hand, I'd love to see how these robots weave the material.

Look at the Munich Composites website. The process can be seen in the video there: http://www.munich-composites.de (You need flash to see the video).

What both ways to produce a rim have in common is that you need to invest into production machines first. Yet those aren't new production methods, so there are a few braiding machines on the market that smaller startups can afford, too. I think we can look forward to a nice variety of affordable carbon wheels in the future.

gravity

by gravity

maverick_1 wrote:Just sent Bike Component a message asking when is the Campy compatible version available, wheelset looks promising and the price is just right.

Cheers

Report back here please once you've got a reply from them?

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@gravity,

here's the reply:
"Campagnolo rotor is not available yet, we are working on this part but when it will be available is not sure yet"

Cheers

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

<$1200 delivered to Australia...
Using Tapatalk

PrimO

by PrimO

ferrarista wrote:
PrimO wrote:I bought Fulcrum Quattro carbons last September for slightly more than the BC wheels but if they had been available back then I would definitely have plumped for them over the fulcrums. I love the minimalistic graphics and that they're slightly deeper than the Quattros (by 5mm) and lighter by 120g which is a considerable weight saving!

Tempted now to sell the fulcrums and give these wheels a go...damn!

Edit: Just looked at the shipping costs and when the tax is adjusted and you add shipping to Ireland, the cost jumps to €959 making them €30 more than what I paid for the Quattros. Think i'll just keep the quattros as the Fletch wheels require rim tape (whereas the quattros don't) and so that adds on another 20-40g depending on what tape is used and so the differences between the two become much smaller and less attractive.

Your carbon Quattro are 1490gr.? I've seen weights range from 1420 to 1455gr. here on weightweenies.
Either way if you put nylon lightweight stick on rim tape it won't add 20-40 grams. On my Deda wheels with 2 layers on each wheel is 12gr. total.

1482g to be exact. I've seen people say theirs are 1420g also, I have no idea why theirs weigh so much less or why mine weigh so much more but saying that, Fulcrum advertise the weight as 1555g for some strange reason as no combination of freehubs, wheels or anything else brings the weight even close to that figure and the only reason I can guess for it is that that is the weight of the disc version.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

So who is going be the first to review these wheels? :P Can't wait to hear some feedback.
██

Marin

by Marin

ferrarista wrote:So who is going be the first to review these wheels? :P Can't wait to hear some feedback.

Thread with pics here:

http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthread ... flechtwerk

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Marin wrote:
ferrarista wrote:So who is going be the first to review these wheels? :P Can't wait to hear some feedback.

Thread with pics here:

http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthread ... flechtwerk

Cool. Thanks for the link. I don't speak german, but with some google translate could understand what they are talking about.

Some pics posted by a member. They look pretty nice. One of the members posted the weight with the stock rim tape at 1422gr. That's some heavy rim tape.

There are other german companies offering wheelsets with same or similar rims, but lighter.
These are apparently 1300gr. the pair and 999euro. 1200gr. with tune hubs, but 1999euro.

https://www.aerycs-shop.de/Laufraeder-Rennrad-Clincher/Carbon-Laufradsaetze-made-in-Germany/Laufradsatz-C-50-C-MIG-made-in-Germany-354.html
██

Marin

by Marin

I wonder what the rims weigh and whether there's a source to get them individually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com