Sub 1000€, 100% German made 1370g Carbon Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

Bike Components.de have released their own product, a 1370g full carbon clincher.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/wheels/bc-flechtwerk-wheelset/

Carbon Fibre is braided/woven (reminds me of TIME's construction method) then laid up in a mold and injected with resin (RTM).

Might these be the next chinese carbon clincher killers?
I'm staying outside of the EuroZone so the 19% VAT discount that I get to enjoy make these a really attractive deal!

Freehub Compatibility:
Shimano freehub body: 8-/9-/10-/11-speed Shimano/SRAM (Road)
Note: Assembly of 8-/9-/10-speed cassettes on Shimano freehub bodies requires a 1.85 mm spacer.

Technical Information - Rim:
Type: bc Flechtwerk 45
Dimensions (ETRTO): 17-622
Inner Width: 17.5 mm
Outer Width: 24 mm
Depth: 45 mm
ERD: 555 mm (from spoke head to spoke head)
Valve Hole Diameter Presta (6.5 mm)
Material: 3K carbon

Technical Information - Front Hub:
Type: bc Evo Road front
Over Locknut Dimension: 9 x 100 mm quick release
Body Material: aluminium

Technical Information - Rear Hub:
Type: bc Evo Road rear
Over locknut Dimension: 10 x 130 mm quick release
Body Material: aluminium
Freehub Body Material: aluminium
Freehub Body: 20-tooth ratchet system, 18° release angle

Technical Information - Lacing:
Font Lacing Pattern: radial
Rear Lacing Pattern: radial (l), 2-cross (r)
Spoke Type: DT Swiss Aero Speed / J-bend / bladed (1.8-2.3-1.2)
Spoke Length: 266 mm (front), 268 mm/272 mm (rear l/r)
Spoke Material: stainless steel
Nipple Type: DT Swiss Pro Lock standard / inverted
Nipple Size: 12 mm (length) / 1.8 mm (diameter)
Nipple Material: aluminium

Approved For:
Weight Limit: 100 kg rider weight
Air Pressure (max.): 9 bar (23 mm tyre), 8 bar (25 mm tyre), 7.5 bar (28 mm tyre)
Recommended Tyre Width: 23-28 mm

Features:
- machined braided carbon fibre rims made in Germany
- lightweight hubs with a ratchet freehub, both made in Germany
- DT Swiss aero spokes and inverted nipples for optimal aerodynamics
- lightweight quick release with a titanium axle
- logos are a subtle grey by day and reflective by night

Colour Index:
carbon-reflex:
- Rim: 3K carbon with reflective anthracite logos
- Hubs: black
- Spokes: black

Contents:
- 1 x bc Flechtwerk 45 Evo Road wheelset (front and rear)
- 2 x bc titanium/aluminium quick releases
- 2 pairs of Swissstop FlashPro Yellow King Cartridge brake pads
- 2 x rolls of Continental Easy Tape High Pressure rim tape
- 2 x 266 mm spare spokes for front
- 1 x 264 mm spare spoke for rear left
- 1 x 268 mm spare spoke for rear right
- 1 x 1.85 mm cassette spacer
- 4 x spare nipples
- 4 x spare washers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Nice. Hope they do some deeper ones soon too.

yinya

by yinya

Looks interesting! Any details on the braking/ brake track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casper3043

by casper3043

1 comment from the video on the site...

"We kept optimizing and improving until we were able to say, Now this wheel is as good as other wheels on the market." - awfully ambitious motto to follow when trying to re-invent the wheel (literally). no disc brake version, so not in my wheel house. but at double the price of "offshore" wheel options out there, it's nothing too special. the glow in the dark decal is a neat idea.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Just based on the fact that they are made in Germany and look almost identical to the Schmolke rims as well as have the same 45mm depth, I'd guess these are coming from the same machine.

There are a few companies that are now doing variations of filiment winding for rims. I can think of 3 companies making them for at least 5 "manufacturers" who are branding them as their own. We've been working with one that does a wide range of depths with good weights at really good pricing. Just as an example we'll be building some on carbon-ti hubs with CxRays that will be around $1350 per set with weights ranging from 1180 grams for a clincher set capable of daily rider use. We've been extremely happy with the ones we've been testing so we're really looking forward to doing more with them.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

madcow wrote:Just based on the fact that they are made in Germany and look almost identical to the Schmolke rims as well as have the same 45mm depth, I'd guess these are coming from the same machine.

There are a few companies that are now doing variations of filiment winding for rims. I can think of 3 companies making them for at least 5 "manufacturers" who are branding them as their own. We've been working with one that does a wide range of depths with good weights at really good pricing. Just as an example we'll be building some on carbon-ti hubs with CxRays that will be around $1350 per set with weights ranging from 1180 grams for a clincher set capable of daily rider use. We've been extremely happy with the ones we've been testing so we're really looking forward to doing more with them.

When will those be out? They same amazing.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Madcow

Thanks for the info. I know riders who are very happy with your carbon-ti builds. Are there any possibility of tubeless soon. I'm holding out on those.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

BigPoser wrote:
When will those be out? They same amazing.

We're pretty excited to get those going in full force. We've been slowly trickling out some sets over the last few months, but the first good sized batch of rims should arrive in the next 2 weeks.

chazmtb wrote:Madcow

Thanks for the info. I know riders who are very happy with your carbon-ti builds. Are there any possibility of tubeless soon. I'm holding out on those.
The carbon-ti hubs have been great. We've not tested the new rims tubeless but are told that they are tubeless compatible. We of course can also do them with Easton tubeless alloys which are in our opinion the nicest alloy rim available, or with Enve tubeless.

grumpus

by grumpus

If you're taking requests, I'd be more interested in a budget model with Sapim Race and dt350 or ultegra level hubs. Obviously the cx-ray carbon-ti's will be awesome, but I've always been happy enough with a great rim on workhorse hubs.

A rim-only option would work for me too. Looking forward to seeing them either way!

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Thanks Madcow. I'm running reynolds attack tubeless for one of my bike and would like to see how the rims mentioned handle tubeless and hard braking. If they are listed as tubeless compatible, that's a good start. I'm not an early adopter, and want something that people have tried. But you guys are well known, and your builds have been very positive.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Ehmm...isn't this topic about the BC wheelset? ;-)

kavitator

by kavitator

Syntace hubs?

oldturd

by oldturd

Daniel1975 wrote:Ehmm...isn't this topic about the BC wheelset? ;-)

I know right? Now I am interested in knowing when Fairwheel will release their 1180g clinchers! lol

Mep

by Mep

madcow wrote:Just based on the fact that they are made in Germany and look almost identical to the Schmolke rims as well as have the same 45mm depth, I'd guess these are coming from the same machine.

I think you've successfully got us all really intrigued. Is there a tubular version?

Marin

by Marin

Sounds like braiding robots are chiming in the end of asian carbon rim manufacture.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com