New Enve 3.4 v Roval 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

You all probably saw the updated 3.4 release. In clincher / rim brake form they're about 1400 grams. Their aero looks to be about equal to a 303. They cost $3200.

Meanwhile the new Roval wheels are looking extremely competitive. Likely more aero. Same internal width (21mm). 1375 grams. But only $2400.

I've ridden a bunch of Zipp and Bora wheels. No experience on Roval or Enve. Given the price difference and that the "climbing" 3.4 is actually heavier than the Roval 50, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why one would opt for the 3.4 over the Roval.

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

my friends that have Rovals all like them... the braking seems to be above par compared to most carbon clinchers I've seen. The 50's are new, so I've not seem them yet, but the CLX 40's and 60's were both nice. A friend of mine has the Enve 4.5's and those are definitely a step or 2 above, but also a step or 2 above in price.

spartan

by spartan

enve only company to have solved the braking in the wet butt the price premium is insane..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

raven14

by raven14

The new Enve brake track is far superior to the Roval one, in dry and for sure also in wet circumstances.

Marin

by Marin

21 internal would be great for MTB tires.

What tire size do you want to run? For any aero benefit, the resulting size should be a bit narrower than the rim at the brake track.

sabba

by sabba

new poster here

just looking at the specs of these newly released envy 3.4s aren't they pushing the fitment limits of most road bikes?

At 29.75mm/29mm external widths front/rear they exceed most brake caliper and frame clearance thresholds.

AM I missing something or are these specs really upsetting the bike fitment Gods?

boots2000

by boots2000

They are both nice wheels-
Roval is lighter- Though the newest Enve sheds some weight?
If you move through stuff resale will be much better on Enve.

KWalker

by KWalker

As someone who is getting the 3.4, I wouldn't normally pay retail for Enve. Their QC has gone way downhill with loads of people having to return rims because of voids in the carbon. It is now even noted in mag review articles. My LBS stopped building to Enve rims as some voids in the rim bed led to cracks.

Roval wheels are great, but if you are solely concerned with braking Mavic is tough to beat. I didn't feel my CLX60s were that bad in the rain compared to 4.5s I demo'ed and used the same pads. In most circumstances I would take the Rovals as they are cheaper, lighter, and perform just as well. That is, if you can get over running a Speci-made product on a non-Speci bike.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sabba wrote:new poster here

just looking at the specs of these newly released envy 3.4s aren't they pushing the fitment limits of most road bikes?

At 29.75mm/29mm external widths front/rear they exceed most brake caliper and frame clearance thresholds.

AM I missing something or are these specs really upsetting the bike fitment Gods?

Yes with my current Parlee I cant go anywhere near those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kode54

by kode54

spdntrxi wrote:
sabba wrote:new poster here

Yes with my current Parlee I cant go anywhere near those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah...i'm out with the AX as well. oh well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Why not the Bora Ultras? Just picked up a pair of Ultra 50's over Enve 4.5's. Will do a good ride tomorrow to get a feel for them. So far, based on some short sprints, they roll better than my Zipp 404 NSW's and are significantly stiffer.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Shrike

by Shrike

Marin wrote:21 internal would be great for MTB tires.

What tire size do you want to run? For any aero benefit, the resulting size should be a bit narrower than the rim at the brake track.

Does that mean that the aero benefit of deep section wheels is totally lost if you use a 25mm tyre? Or am I reading that wrong..

Delorre

by Delorre

Shrike wrote:

Does that mean that the aero benefit of deep section wheels is totally lost if you use a 25mm tyre? Or am I reading that wrong..

You loose a part of the benefit if the tyre is wider than the rim. If you use a 25mm Conti 4000s f.ex, your rim should be 28mm wide at least, if the tyre is 27mm wide on that rim. So far the theory :wink:

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah okay, but with these new ENVE's it should be okay? They're 29mm external. Guess that's why they made them like that :shock:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Shrike wrote:

read this article
https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-5-t ... rodynamics

in short, rim must be wider than tire.
Both rims are about 29.xx mm wide so tire should not be wider than 28.4mm.
Some big 25c tire on 21mm rim will exceed that but some will not.
But i think using some big 23c (like Continental or Vittoria Corsa G+) in the front is just better here as it'll be surely narrower than 28.4mm (most probably around 27.5mm) and also being big enough to fit nicely on 21mm wide rim.
Then put 25c tire on in the rear to be 28-30mm to get best rolling in the back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com