Tune skyline vs ax lightness ultra 25t

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Looking at getting a set of stupid light tubulars and looking for anyone who has personal experience of these or similar wheelsets.
I weight 70kg. Don't want a set of flexy rims and want reasonable braking.

The tune skyline tubular will be cheaper but heavier - 880g. They are laced 24/28 but use the thin gauge sapim superspokes. They are laced to mig 45/mag 150 hubs. The tune website states thats the rim is >24mm wide and uses ax lightness rims. I find this a bit confusing as ax do not feature a low profile rim that wide on their website nor can i find any news about a new rim coming out with such dimensions.

The ax ultra 25t wheelset uses extralite sp hubs, and are laced 20/24 but use thicker (stiffer) dt dswiss aerolite spokes. They use the new ultra 25t rim (25mmx22mm wide) they also have a machined braketrack which uses a process that sounds almost identical to xentis (I have a set of xentis squad 4.2 and they brake incredibly well)

Anyone ride any of these or similar and can comment on stiffness or braking and respective hub maintenance/issues.

Alternatively does anyone know where i could get ultra 25t rims laced to carbon-ti sp hubs (should add 30 grams to the ax build - approx 820g) but can get them in any colour and have great hub dimensions now after the update.

Cheers, sorry bout all the words.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AZR3

by AZR3

I'm looking at almost the same setup! I've also thought about the new Schmolke TLO30 rim with Extralite hubs as another option, not as light as those above but still around 900g or slightly under.

Also, curious which hub would be better and easier to service, the Tune Mig45/Mag150 or Extralite CyberFront/Rear SP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I'm a wheelbuilder and hub modder. IMO Extralites are easier to service. The pawl rings & springs are easily replaced, and bearings are easy to get to. IIRC, Tune recommends special tools to press the bearings into the 45. I've done it without them, but it's difficult to get perfect precision without them.

The Extralite Cyber series are awesome hubs that build a fairly good L/R tension ratio. Their straight pull hubs require Extralite's proprietary spoke length chart. The only drawback is Extralite's choices of axles - mostly QR, but a few models have 12mm front end caps. I've made some 10mm thru-axle caps for the rear, but have yet to figure out how to do a thru axle on the front.

And if you think the Extralite pawls are too loud, you can dab some lithium grease to quiet them.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The Tune Skyline series of hubs are difficult to service as the bearings are behind the spoke ends meaning if one needs to be removed you have to de-lace the wheel. We've serviced a couple of pairs. The new AX Lightness rims have a quality carbon layup, are good to build with and the machined brake surface is an improvement we welcome. Extralite hubs have been enjoyable to build with.

You don't mention how heavy you are but an ultra light spoke is not always the best choice with low spoke tensions and ultra light components as the wheel needs to be considered as a partnership / collaboration of three things working together.

Hope that helps with your choice.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

AZR3

by AZR3

Thanks for the info on the Tune hubs, it seems that in all likelihood I'll either go with the Ax Lightness Ultra 25t or a Schmolke TLO 30 Extralite build. Now I just have to decided if the cost for the Ax wheelset is worth the extra price

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:Now I just have to decided if the cost for the Ax wheelset is worth the extra price

Ahh come on you know you want them....... it's only $'s :wink: :D
BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

beanbiken wrote:
AZR3 wrote:Now I just have to decided if the cost for the Ax wheelset is worth the extra price

Ahh come on you know you want them....... it's only $'s :wink: :D

Of course I do but I can't use them if the wife kills me lol

AZR3

by AZR3

I bit the bullet, ordered the Ax Lightness wheels, hopefully I'll have them in a few weeks to give an initial impression. This is also my first tubular wheelset, ordered some VeloFlex Carbons to try out as well, can't wait to see how they feel compared to clincher tires.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Excellent, almost ordered the exact same. May wait for you thoughts. Keen on the Extralite CyberMax C32's also, less $'s, heavier but deeper and wider :?:
BB

Coffee & carbon

AZR3

by AZR3

These are pretty much ideal for me, wider than their older version and still crazy light, will drop my SS Evo to 11.6lbs :D

beanbiken

by beanbiken

AZR3 wrote:These are pretty much ideal for me, wider than their older version and still crazy light, will drop my SS Evo to 11.6lbs :D

Damn show off :thumbup:
BB

Coffee & carbon

NiFTY

by NiFTY

AZR3 - I have ordered the same, also for my SS evo.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AZR3

by AZR3

NiFTY wrote:AZR3 - I have ordered the same, also for my SS evo.

Sweet! When did you order yours?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Few days ago from starbike. Just waiting for them to get in stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

The new AX 25T (25mm wide) replaces the old 24T, which is perhaps the rim Tune are talking about.

I have a pair of AX 38Ts on Extralite, which I am very happy with. Personally I would consider those or the Extralite Cybermax C32s - OK this is Weight Weenies but the bigger rims will build a stiffer wheel and the aero benefit will vastly more important than the weight gain.

Just be aware that Extralite Straight Pull fronts are VERY wide and foul on a lot of forks, which I wish I had known before I bought them. AFAIK you need to remove the axle to replace spokes on all but DS rear.

My 38Ts are the older ones before they started pre-machining the brake track. Braking is v.good in the dry (Shimano triple pivots, Black Prince), not good in the wet. The AX website suggests that it will improve after a break- in period, which I don't think I've hit yet as there is barely a mark on the brake track.