Light disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FHKJ

by FHKJ

Evening All

Looking to build or buy a lightweight set of wheels for my Altum Disc. I ride in the UK, and go to the alps/pyrenees most years so am looking at some alrounders (plus some light 140mm rotors).

Any advice/recommendations much appreciated. I like Enve 3.4s but worry they are geeting old/long in the tooth, and the 5.6s are too deep/heavy? I've got Obermayers on my other bike, but the Lightweight disc wheels just don't seem light enough??

Thanks, in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

For the money you won't beat Hunt http://huntbikewheels.com/

HUNT 30Carbon Aero Disc 1388g and just £999.

I ride the Aero light disc at 1485g cost £479. Superb wheelset better than the Zipp 30 course they replaced.

They're centrelock but come with adapters to use 6 bolt.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

How heavy are you - it influences the recommendation. We can supply disc wheels sub 1300g for you.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The DT Swiss RR411 is one of the lightest alloy disc brake at rims about at 410g.

Think of Carbon Ti hubs Sapim CX-ray spokes and these rims in 28F/28R would be 1400g.

Lighter is possible but spoke count has to drop and rims have to get lighter. Lighter Extralite hubs save a bit of weight.

Your weight is important those rims are not for riders over 100kg.

There are not many carbon rims that are much lighter that are disc specific. Carbon tubular rims for rim brake can easily be turned into disc brake wheels, did it for my wifes bikes and with the carbon ti hubs weight down to 1150g are possible with a 38mm deep tubular rim.

Most things are possible but it does depend on what you actually want. The DT swiss/carbon Ti build would be an allrounder. The hubs could be replaced with DT Swiss 240 and a bit of weight is added but then you get DT Swiss hubs.

FHKJ

by FHKJ

StradaJon wrote:How heavy are you - it influences the recommendation. We can supply disc wheels sub 1300g for you.

I'm 80KG. Keen on mountains, but mostly ride in the UK, and the Altum is going to get more riding hence the disc choice!

Carbon for looks, but weight is ultimately the point here!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well if where me go with 38mm deep carbon tubular rims 24 spoke laced to some light hubs for sub 1200g. i'd ride that happily and a tad heavier than you.

Carbon clincher rims are not really any lighter than alloy disc brake rims. They are a bit deeper but thats it.

With clinchers the weight will always be higher. One way around this is to use a pair of ryde pulse sprint rims. They did come with a black sidewall. These are offset drilled and 385g. So a 28 spoke wheels with the right hubs (extralite) could be well under 1300g. With the DT rims weight would be a shade over 1300g.

It really depends on light you want to go. As you can see tubular rims are what to use for very light wheels. Shallow carbon rims could get the weight of a disc brake wheelset very low/

Off the top of my head
28F/28R DT Swiss RR411, cx-ray spokes and carbon ti hubs 1405g sensible build.
28F/28R DT Swiss RR411 rims Cx-ray spokes Extralite hubs 1310g
28F/28R Ryde pulse sprint rim brake rims with black side walls cx-ray spokes and extralite hubs 1265g
28F/28R shallow carbon tubular rims, CX-ray spokes Extralite hubs ~1020g (ENVE rims could be used here but there cheaper options)
24F/24R 38mm deep carbon rims (the same ones that I use on my own bikes and my wifes) Extralite hubs and CX-ray spokes 1090g

So you see the trend I hope that helps.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

It's a £3500 frame so I question whether the budget is the key point. AX Lightness 28 are carbon clinchers and 325g a piece. We've built two pairs in the new profile and they work well for this kind of specification. they look great too btw.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Is there a terminology to separate wheels for disc brakes from aero rear wheels that are a solid disc? Several times now I've clicked on threads or articles expecting cool aero stuff and found it's about trying to make a cross spoked wheel for MTB brakes as light as a road wheel.
Last edited by Lelandjt on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffy

by jeffy

how's the stiffness of the new 411 for a 80kg rider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

they will be just fine, the rim is offset so you wont feel any flex. What people describe as flex is often the NDS spoke loosening tension, if that does not happen then the feeling of flex does not happen.