preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NoMütze

by NoMütze

ya, same here, ... i guess, no wheelsets are out in the wild...and if they were, they'd been recalled...
Jan told me, testing of new set up with cx-rays looks promising, however i don't know how long this step takes...think/hope he wants to make it right...

Garrison

by Garrison

Honestly, i feel I can get my rims faster if I just order from November

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Early results with Campy red pads ( Shimano style, ee brakes) are very positive.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Is there a more or less canonical list of the best pads? For the regular rims, for the ceramic (for some degree of definition) rims? I supposedly have a set of the latter coming as built wheels, and now I'm not clear what pads to use or get. Thanks in advance.

glepore

by glepore

November Dave likes black Prince, I had a set of these Campy pads in the toolbox and they are worlds better in feel than the pads that came with the wheels. I dunno about track finish wear yet. The oem pads went in 1k miles or less, but hey, the rims were new.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Correction to the above - we recommend SwissStop BXP. Black Prince can certainly be used, they are gentle to the rims and my friend who tested them on Al33s last summer thought they worked fine, but they are likely to wear too quickly. Which is a shame because we have boxes and boxes of Black Prince pads in stock. Oh well.

glepore

by glepore

On the pad topic, have about 500 mi on Campy reds, much of it damp/wet, and they wear like iron, and really stop well. Highly recommended. Brake track wear very light.

sun

by sun

In terms of brake pads, what about the non-ceramic version of the AL33? BXP or Koolstop?

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

sun wrote:In terms of brake pads, what about the non-ceramic version of the AL33? BXP or Koolstop?

I personally use a KoolStop Dura2 Dual Compound in the front and a Dura2 Black in the rear. Can't ask for much better braking than that. Rode down one of the steepest roads in Vermont in a downpour on Monday, and it also works well in the dry and doesn't beat up the brake tracks. BXPs should also be great with machined brake track version.

As cool as the ceramic (PEO, really) version is, these rims are noteworthy for more than having a black brake track version available.

Birdman

by Birdman

Just received my rims, actual weight:
24 hole = 501g
28 hole = 499g

I posted some photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145748#p1322492
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

thp

by thp

More Porkly than the original goals. I wonder what the weights were for the first batch that went to distributors.

Birdman

by Birdman

Yeah, they should update the title of this thread.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Garrison

by Garrison

Birdman wrote:Just received my rims, actual weight:
24 hole = 501g
28 hole = 499g

I posted some photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145748#p1322492

I just got my rims last night too, despite the snafu by the local postman. Haven't weight them yet. Like you, I intend to build them with DA hubs, but 18F 24R, which should be fine for my weight (63kg).

HOWEVER, Jan sent me 20H for the front. :? along with a piece of his own front hub, and 4pieces of cartridge bearings :?: which I did not order...

Edit: hub looks like it's powerway PHB-R51

Anyway, I've emailed him, waiting for his reply....

Garrison

by Garrison

Btw, what size rim tapes will you recommend for them? The internal is almost 20mm, and thd central channel is really deep

StevenH72

by StevenH72

Just ordered some AL33's yesterday, to be built in West Sussex by DCR Wheels.

I've opted not to go for the ceramic brake track, so mine will be MSW, CX-Ray spokes in a 20:24 lacing with Tune MigMag hubs. Hoping the set will come in around 1,440g if the rims come in at the advertised 470g.

I'm fairly new to cycling and these will replace my Mavic Aksiums approx 1,900g, so hoping to see a noticeable improvement.

Any real world reviews of the rims yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com