preview: Al33 kickstarter launch (new 33mm deep toroidal shaped aluminum rims (465gram) + wheels)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nobrainer32

by nobrainer32

:) Very competent and complete answer to the questions. I am convinced and give them a chance. Just pledged for a wheelset today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

ergott wrote:Could you give me the contact information of the US distributor?

Thanks

Hope to update to you soon as we get to an agreement.

nobrainer32 wrote::) Very competent and complete answer to the questions. I am convinced and give them a chance. Just pledged for a wheelset today.

Thank you, you won't be disappointed :D

Next week i am hoping for some updates when it comes to the disc brake version, As we got this requested quite a few times.

Second thing, And i am looking for your opinions.

Design,
We are looking for a lasered design, As i do not like stickers on bikes (extra weight, and they will get ugly eventually. All suggestions will be welcome. we are looking for a modern look. If there is anything you like, don't mind posting.

EDIT: all kickstarter backers can also choose for a full black version

Hope to have first sketches uploaded next week.
http://www.bellebikes.com - info@bellebikes.com
Rides: Bellezza Stelvio <5kg and Bellezza CorsaX!

gtinut

by gtinut

how spoke count for 80+kg rider?

Marin

by Marin

Depends on spoke thickness I'd say.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i don't bother throwing in more spokes than 20/24 on a set of wheels built with the likes of kings, dt, or WI hubs until the rider weight gets into the 95+kg bracket. I also only build with cxRays so no spoke thickness changes going on either :wink:

gtinut

by gtinut

I have CX and MTB wheels built up with CX-Ray.
I am planning on building rim brake tubeless wheels and there is a thing. Boyd tells me to do 24/28, Pacenti 20/28 or 24/28.
Hunt suggests 20/24 but need to check spokes every other ride.
I broke some Laser spokes on climbs until wheel (disc brake)was rebuilt with brand new rim and spokes - no issue since.
I love ceramic coating on my old mtb wheels and this would be nice on road but I cant wait till November to get these rims.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

cXrays only really break if the tension is not high enough. they are by nature of been forged far stronger than traditional butted round spokes with a large increase in fatigue life span

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

Thank you guys.,
over 100% funded in 15 days.

Now thinking of some stretch goals. Hope to update you on that soon.

gtinut wrote:how spoke count for 80+kg rider?

sugarkane wrote:i don't bother throwing in more spokes than 20/24 on a set of wheels built with the likes of kings, dt, or WI hubs until the rider weight gets into the 95+kg bracket. I also only build with cxRays so no spoke thickness changes going on either :wink:

gtinut wrote:I have CX and MTB wheels built up with CX-Ray.
I am planning on building rim brake tubeless wheels and there is a thing. Boyd tells me to do 24/28, Pacenti 20/28 or 24/28.
Hunt suggests 20/24 but need to check spokes every other ride.
I broke some Laser spokes on climbs until wheel (disc brake)was rebuilt with brand new rim and spokes - no issue since.
I love ceramic coating on my old mtb wheels and this would be nice on road but I cant wait till November to get these rims.

20/24 spoke holes will be plenty strong and stiff for an 80Kg rider in my opinion.

sugarkane wrote:cXrays only really break if the tension is not high enough. they are by nature of been forged far stronger than traditional butted round spokes with a large increase in fatigue life span

Correct, Spokes like the CX-rays and the spokes we use, also spokes in the more expensive factory built wheels are forged, increasing breaking strength and fatigue.

LouisN

by LouisN

Bring a 430-440g reliable tubular version, and you got me as a client... :beerchug:

Been waiting for a moment for such a rim to appear.

That would fill my need for some wet, windy conditions race wheels, or canti cyclocross race wheels :D !!

I also can't understand why it would not interest more road racing guys and teams to have a good 1300-1350 g aero, alloy tubular race wheelset ...

Louis :)

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

LouisN wrote:Bring a 430-440g reliable tubular version, and you got me as a client...

Problem is that the weight benefit of aluminum wheels for a tubular version is quite marginal, For carbon wheels the difference between clinchers and tubes is much bigger.
Also for tubular cyclocross use aerodynamics is less relevant, however a deep rim does have its benefits in muddy conditions.

I can see your point for cyclocross wheels, as tubes are superior in this matter. However for road races, the tubeless system offers rolling resistance comparable to tubes, and if the weight benefit is very marginal you could ask yourself what extra value tubes offer in this occasion.

Also when talking about cyclocross bikes, i think disc brake bikes are there to stay. If only it were because Shimano and Sram are pushing Disc brakes really hard. And for recreational cyclocross riders the rim wear of cantilever bikes is quite expensive.

However it would be really cool to develop a tubeless version of the Al33, maybe in the future.

LouisN

by LouisN

I am guessing by your answers than a tubular rim never even crossed your mind ;) ...

You didn't get my request. It's OK.

I guess I'm not your targeted customer...

bellebikes
in the industry

by bellebikes

LouisN wrote:I am guessing by your answers than a tubular rim never even crossed your mind ;) ...

You didn't get my request. It's OK.

I guess I'm not your targeted customer...

Actually it did cross my mind and we would love to make one, but you have to understand it is not cheap to develop a bicycle rim.

But if we look at the request for tube rims for our handbuilt wheels. We have some racers, but the vast majority is interested in clinchers (also lots of racers on semi-professional level). We simply think we can't sell enough of these rims in the near future. But maybe if our customer base grows it will be worthwhile.

But we have many cool prototype's and ideas we want to bring to production, But to do thing properly we have to start one by one, and simply look at the biggest success rate.

ergott

by ergott

LouisN wrote:Bring a 430-440g reliable tubular version, and you got me as a client... :beerchug:

I've talked to a few rim manufacturers. Unfortunately, the market for tubular rims is far smaller than clincher/tubelesss so most don't want to put in the development time, tooling, and order commitment if they can't recover their cost.

For now, you can get the Hed Belgium in tubular and it's pretty close to that weight.

ergott

by ergott

bellebikes wrote:Thank you guys.,
over 100% funded in 15 days.

Congratulations and best of luck with everything. :thumbup:

Looking forward to having the chance to build up some rims when they become available through a US dist.

LouisN

by LouisN

ergott wrote:
LouisN wrote:Bring a 430-440g reliable tubular version, and you got me as a client... :beerchug:

I've talked to a few rim manufacturers. Unfortunately, the market for tubular rims is far smaller than clincher/tubelesss so most don't want to put in the development time, tooling, and order commitment if they can't recover their cost.

For now, you can get the Hed Belgium in tubular and it's pretty close to that weight.

I understand.
Key is market.

In my opinion the rim "type" (tubular VS clincher) is not the most expensive part of the rim manufacturing process.
An extruder die costs a few thousand dollars from the info I gathered (although I live in the region called "the aluminium valley", lots of businesses around the production and transformation of aluminium).
Once done, "pushing" the #1 (clincher) rod, or #2 (tubular) rod will roughly cost the same.
The rest of the process, wich is the most expensive part: bending machines, "tacking" and CNC machines, anodizing or etectrostatic painting facilities, lazer etching machines, etc. is the same also, doesn't need extra investment.
Maybe another die for a slimmer, rounder tubular disk rim would be nice :) !

But think of this: The bigger market of clincher rims is diluted because every few months a new manufacturer is coming with another product ( November, FLO, AL33, etc..). Without forgetting the existing manufacturers bringing new rim shapes to the market also ( think of the Velocity Quill for example) .
None of them is bringing a tubular rim to the market. You have to believe :D !! Tubular tires aficionados are loyal clients ;) .

Hed Belgium, although excellent, is a rim of the past IMO. light-ish, stiff, reliable. But it would need a youth cure. Rounder shape, but mostly a deeper channel so the tubs would fit deeper in it, providing a more aero "ensemble", and less lateral deformation of 25-26 mm tubs.

my 2 cents....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com