Bora one tubular or clincher, what to get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

junchen

by junchen

Is there a discernable diff in comfort between your zonda n shamal (both late models, and not the older models)?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

sawyer wrote:The usual arguments apply ... tubulars are lighter feeling ... corner better, and are safer and handle better in the mountains

But there are some very nice fast clincher tyres out there also ...

Agree...

My understanding is the very best tubulars are better than the best clinchers, not so much in speed but in feel, comfort and responsiveness...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I was hesitant about tubulars but having 3 tires destroyed and taking cab home 3 times in last 3 months is about to change my mind. Bora One tubular looks like best choice at that price point. 35 or 50 is the biggest question. There's not much weight penalty for getting 50, but how does wind affect the ride?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I race on Ultra 50 tubulars and only in very strong gusting crosswinds do you notice them. Having done two previous seasons on their predecessors the Ultra Twos, I'd say they're an improvement in this regard.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sleepless wrote:I was hesitant about tubulars but having 3 tires destroyed and taking cab home 3 times in last 3 months is about to change my mind. Bora One tubular looks like best choice at that price point. 35 or 50 is the biggest question. There's not much weight penalty for getting 50, but how does wind affect the ride?

If your roads are that bad you might want to consider running a tubeless setup with sealant.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Yeah, roads are bad but the problem isn't that. All were destroyed by the rim slashing the tire where it clinches. At that point it doesn't matter if you ride clincher or tubular, you have to take the cab home on both. So why shouldn't I give tubular a go? :)

LionelB

by LionelB

Sleepless wrote:Yeah, roads are bad but the problem isn't that. All were destroyed by the rim slashing the tire where it clinches. At that point it doesn't matter if you ride clincher or tubular, you have to take the cab home on both. So why shouldn't I give tubular a go? :)

No you do not. You can put your spare tubular on and keep riding.

fogman

by fogman

Sleepless wrote:Yeah, roads are bad but the problem isn't that. All were destroyed by the rim slashing the tire where it clinches. At that point it doesn't matter if you ride clincher or tubular, you have to take the cab home on both. So why shouldn't I give tubular a go? :)

What rim/tire combination were you using that the rim slashed the tire where it clinches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

@LionelB, yes that's another option. But I don't think that I'd carry a spare tub. It's sealant or cab. :)

@fogman, Reynolds Assault - Challenge Strada x2 and Vittoria Open Pave x1.

fogman

by fogman

@Sleepless. You may have a sharp edge on your carbon rim bead. Is it the same wheel that slashes through your tires? I have read that some Challenge and Veloflex clincher tires were prone to this type of cutting and therefore were recommended on aluminum clinchers only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

jwest

by jwest

upside wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 am
I have the clinchers an run Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. I run 80 psi on the front and 90 in the rear. The new tires are lighter or as light as the best tubular. You now also have better puncture resistance and the ride is as nice as most high end latex tubulars. I am super happy with my purchase.
Starbike has the best prices.
Very old post here but are you still with us? ;) I'm also in the US, but that is irrelevant.... You mentioned using a "tubeless" tire but this thread is about the campy wheels in either tubular or "clincher"..... was that a tubeless being used without a tube, on the clincher?

jwest

by jwest

LionelB wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 pm
No you do not. You can put your spare tubular on and keep riding.
This ! "No you do not. You can put your spare tubular on and keep riding."
Exactly. I do not understand the "ride a cab home" solution unless a person has actually destroyed a wheel or some other majot mechanical issue occurred.